New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

mjbetch
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

I purchased an older model, 2008-2009 (Is it weird that's considered old now?) Nikon 35mm f/2 D on ebay. Glass is pristine, barrel is pristine, everything is pristine except one thing... I think.

I'm concerned about the focus ring. I feel that the lube has dried up. It makes such a noise as if dry plastic is rubbing. Also sometimes it's a little, juuuust a little, more resistant to turning. Makes this noise when manually focusing or auto focusing.

I compared this to my - as old as me - 50mm f/1.4 non-D which is silky smooth when focusing. Just like butter.

Is this something that a CLA can fix, or is it just normal? Should I even risk it since I don't have that oil on the aperture blades problem yet...

Thanks!

Made a not-so-great video to try and show my concern.

https://youtu.be/KRL9Rumy0tc

Nov 26, 2015 at 08:21 AM
Spectro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

Considering the price point of the lens used I wouldn't get it repaired unless it stops working for you. I still have one that I've had about 20 yrs and have had the oil on the blades cleaned twice over the years. The best way to avoid it is to store the lens face down and fully stopped down.

Nov 26, 2015 at 08:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

If you mean that is an AF-D lens, I would not necessarily count on it simply needing lubrication. It sounds damaged to me.

EBH

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:14 AM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

What makes you say that? I really want to know so I can make a case against the eBay user that sold it to me. Thanks

Nov 27, 2015 at 08:07 PM
Berschwinger
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

What more case do you need than that video? That noise is in no way normal, sounds like the focus ring internals are hanging up and dragging. I would send it back if you can - I've had my copy since 2009 and have never heard anything of that sort.

Dec 01, 2015 at 08:50 AM
CRamsey

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

I recently bought a 50mm f/1.4D in "mint" condition and it sounds similar. I have an e-mail in to my "lens guy". If he can give me an easy fix, I'll report back. I bet it's dry lube considering the age of these lenses.

Dec 01, 2015 at 09:37 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

mjbetch wrote:
What makes you say that? I really want to know so I can make a case against the eBay user that sold it to me. Thanks

I've owned a lot of Nikkor lenses in 39 years and that does not sound good to say the least.

EBH

Dec 01, 2015 at 09:50 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

Berschwinger wrote:
What more case do you need than that video? That noise is in no way normal, sounds like the focus ring internals are hanging up and dragging. I would send it back if you can - I've had my copy since 2009 and have never heard anything of that sort.

Seller refunded me $75 so total cost was $150. I can live with $150 for this lens. I'm just sticking it on an FM2n for a walk-around camera.

Dec 02, 2015 at 09:50 AM
CRamsey

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 35mm f/2D Noise

Here is what I got from my lens repair buddy regarding the 50mm 1.4d that had a similar issue:

I took it apart and saw that the lube had broken down into a light oil which means that the lens had been exposed to high heat at some time. I cleaned it all out and replaced the lube with good old Super Lube which is a product that will not break down or separate yet has a nice damping effect on the focusing helicoids. The light sloppiness in the focus barrel is pretty normal for this lens since there are some big elements to move around.

So there you go. If you are otherwise happy with it, a clean and re-lube should fix it up.

Dec 04, 2015 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.