New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Leica R APO extenders

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica R APO extenders

What's the story on the Leica R APO extenders? I'm pretty interested in getting one for my 180/2. Do they play well with that lens? How about the 100/2.8 AME? How true are the stories that they don't degrade image quality (if "not entirely true," does the 1.4x degrade performance less than the 2x, as with Nikon's extenders?)?

And how do you deal with the adapter situation? I know it's easy if you're using a removeable (ie Metabones Sony E adapter), but if you're using a Leitax Nikon like me? Do you switch out the mount on your lens every time you want to use the extender? Or does someone make a female Leica R to Nikon mount (Leitax only makes male, as far as I can see) for the front of the extender?

Nov 25, 2015 at 07:09 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica R APO extenders

Lee Saxon wrote:
What's the story on the Leica R APO extenders? I'm pretty interested in getting one for my 180/2. Do they play well with that lens? How about the 100/2.8 AME? How true are the stories that they don't degrade image quality (if "not entirely true," does the 1.4x degrade performance less than the 2x, as with Nikon's extenders?)?

And how do you deal with the adapter situation? I know it's easy if you're using a removeable (ie Metabones Sony E adapter), but if you're using a Leitax Nikon like me? Do you switch out the mount on your lens every
...Show more

Hi Lee,

You may wish to look at this link:

http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-accessory/leica-apo-extender

I believe both Apo extenders work well with the R 180mm f2 Summicron lens. As to the R 100mm f2.8 AME you can only use the 2X Apo extender; however, if you insert the 1.4X Apo extender into the Macro Adapter R it can be used with the AME.

Yes the 1.4X Apo extender is better in performance with the lenses than the 2X Apo extender. In fact with my 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lens there appears to be almost no loss in quality.

As to the 2X Apo Extender, Leica recommended using this option for the AME if you do not have the special 1:1 to 1:2 Elpo lens. The performance is supposed to be similar for close-up but I believe that you need to stop down 2 stops to have that equal performance. It is also possible to use the 2X Apo Extender with the AME creating a 200mm Apo Macro lens and you can also use this combination with the special Elpro lens as well.

Leitaxed lenses and the Apo extenders create a major headache. To the best of my knowledge there is no female R to Nikon adapter.

Rich

Edited on Dec 02, 2015 at 12:55 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2015 at 08:17 PM
apoglass

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica R APO extenders

FM member "Worldinlens" from St. Petersburg converts both the 1.4x and the 2x Leica R APO extenders to the Nikon F mount, which allows use of a Leitax Nikon F mount converted Leica R lens with a Leica R APO extender on a Nikon camera. The easy part is the rear of the APO extender which can be converted with the readily available male Leitax mount, just like a lens. Worldinlens' demonstrated ability to do a conversion of the front mount of the Leica R APO extenders to female Nikon mounts seems to be unique.

Nov 26, 2015 at 05:30 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica R APO extenders

I have both extenders, but seldom use them. They do degrade the IQ to certain level. On a 70-180 zoom, the 2X extender will make LoCA much more visible in bokeh.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:39 PM
jankap
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica R APO extenders

I have used my APO extender with the APO-Telyt 3,4/180mm on a safari.
Apart from the light loss it worked fine. Very good IQ.
Together with the Ricoh GXR I had a very small 540mm lens with f/6,8.
Jan

Nov 30, 2015 at 03:50 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.