New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Decentered 35 1.4L

Zach_Eberl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Decentered 35 1.4L

I'm currently in Germany and have had some issues recently with my 35 1.4L, that I hadn't encountered during the first 3.5 months of my trip. At all f-stops, and all focusing distances, the left side of any photo is not sharp, even within the same focal plain. The results are constant in some tests I've done with a bulb release and graph paper, as well as non "test" photos I've taken. Also, what concerns me is when I tilt the lens from the mount up to having the mount down, there is an audible clicking sound.

Some questions; has anyone had any experience with a decentered lens, and going through the repair process with Canon? Would it be advised to leave the lens off until I get back to the States (early Jan) and send it in for service? I'm currently not a CPS member, and I bought the lens here on FM in 2014. Would it be a good idea to get a Gold CPS membership, in case the lens comes back in the same condition?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 25, 2015 at 03:48 PM
Zach_Eberl
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Decentered 35 1.4L

Bump. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:09 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Decentered 35 1.4L

Over the decades I've had 3-4 lenses knocked out of alignment and one unable to hit critical focus. Common problem. Canon needs to fix it--don't be tempted to try to use it; it will only produce unreliable results. I'd just send it in for repair and not worry about Gold membership. I'm in the U.S. so can't suggest a regional repair location.

When I shipped in the lens, I also included a print showing the alignment issue so the technicians will know exactly what and where the problem is.

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.