New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

Saw an online sale of a 1DsMKIII showing a shutter count from http://www.shuttercounter.com. So I tried my camera and I am certain the number of clicks reported at 239, is under by about 300,000.

Nov 24, 2015 at 07:57 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

Is that website certified by Canon to report the shutter count? I think it is the shuttercount company's problem, not Canon's.

EBH

Nov 24, 2015 at 08:01 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

I'm posting a warning for buyers not a complaint about Canon.

Nov 24, 2015 at 08:03 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

AFAIK the *only* way to get the correct shutter count on a 1DS3 is to send it to Canon factory service. There are plenty of apps and websites that say they will do it, but none work for that particular model. Canon never made any software available to the public get the shutter count from the camera, but Canon does have software to do it.

Nov 24, 2015 at 08:52 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

The Canon SDK doesn't have any API functions that report the shutter count ( I have a copy of the SDK). I wonder how these websites come up with these numbers.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

Andrew J wrote:
I'm posting a warning for buyers not a complaint about Canon.

I have 3 of those bodies and there were some issues, especially with the earliest ones.
One had a shutter that lasted far less than 100K.

EBH

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:10 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

I recently got my 1DsIII back from a local repair facility. I had asked if they were able to give me a shutter count and was told only Canon knows for sure; they won't waste time or money on apps that aren't accurate....

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:49 PM
JF89
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

Thanx for bringing that up. I thought the same thing. I am selling one, removed post about that piece of software as I looked into this a little further after In used it as well. Tho the count I got seemed about right, I decided not to use that info as I did not want to mislead.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:21 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

Chumma wrote:
The Canon SDK doesn't have any API functions that report the shutter count ( I have a copy of the SDK). I wonder how these websites come up with these numbers.

While Canon does not tell you which API function reports the shutter count, it has been discovered by trial and error. It does not work for all models, like the 1DsIII, but works for many models.

Software API's do not always tell you of hidden or undocumented functions.

Nov 25, 2015 at 05:42 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

For Canon bodies with DIGIC III or older processors, 3rd party shutter count apps don't known where Canon squirrels away the shutter count information. The 1Ds iii is a DIGIC III body. I think some of these apps count mirror flips or shutter button presses or some inacurate measurement to come up with their numbers.

As an aside, If I include shot count details when selling a Canon body, I make it clear in the bill of sale that the shot count quoted is not from Canon and should be used for information purposes only.

I bought a used 1Ds iii body a year ago and at the time had the sensor cleaned by Canon CPS and the work order had the shot count on it.

Nov 25, 2015 at 06:13 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · false 1DsMKIII shutter reading

After looking at the raw file name and their shutter count, it's pretty obvious how they got the number.

Nov 25, 2015 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.