FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Thanks for those samples. I compared them to my images and I don't see a significant difference. I uploaded the full aperture series to flickr if you want to check as well:-)
Btw: does the Rollei version also have those 6 not the least bit rounded aperture blades?

It seems that multi coating technology makes a real difference. When I compared my Minolta MC 1.7/55 to the FE55 I did not notice much of a difference in contrast at f/8. And that Minolta is only eight or so years younger than the Contarex 2/50.

oops, missed this.

i looked at the fullsized versions of the contax shots. i still think your contax looks weaker in the extreme corner than my rollei (though i agree the difference isn't significant for actual shooting).

here's a comparison at f/8 of the rollei to a whole bunch of other normal lenses that has a more similar subject:
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7720/16976723808_6112642237_o.jpg
link to fullsized comparison
here's the full scene:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8815/16976724048_d778624301_o.jpg

also, i agree with tariq i want to see a review of the contarex 35/2. though, from the mtfs it doesn't look so hot...

Dec 12, 2015 at 04:35 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

I will have a closer look at the Zeiss next week. I got it for very little money together with the Zeiss 2.8/28 C/Y and it is in very good condition.

I don't think I will review another Contarex lens, they are expensive collectors lenses and I am more thrilled by lenses which give me some value for my money. But I have a Meyer Trioplan 2.8/100 which ist totally overpriced because so many hipsters go for the special bokeh. That should be another fun review.

Dec 12, 2015 at 04:58 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I will have a closer look at the Zeiss next week. I got it for very little money together with the Zeiss 2.8/28 C/Y and it is in very good condition.

I don't think I will review another Contarex lens, they are expensive collectors lenses and I am more thrilled by lenses which give me some value for my money. But I have a Meyer Trioplan 2.8/100 which ist totally overpriced because so many hipsters go for the special bokeh. That should be another fun review.

yeah contarex lenses are crazy priced. i had given up on ever getting one long ago, but then found an 85/2 for under $200.

Dec 12, 2015 at 05:33 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

Not having used one, I would imagine the Contarex to Sony adapters would be somewhat funky to use, not to mention they seem to be expensive - even the "cheaper" versions. How does the aperture movement feel with the adapter? Are there clear mechanical detents for each stop (or half stop even) or do you have to look at the adapter to know what stop you are at?

Dec 12, 2015 at 05:34 PM
krug
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

I would ne interested, Phillip, in your views of the Contarex 135 2.8 if you ever get to try it.

135 is perhaps my favourite focal length and the Contarex works very well on the Leica 240 and on the a7rII.

Like you I have and enjoy the Minoltas - I have and love the Minolta 135 2 which is very different from the more clinical Contarex but each has its own strengths.

Dec 12, 2015 at 05:43 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Not having used one, I would imagine the Contarex to Sony adapters would be somewhat funky to use, not to mention they seem to be expensive - even the "cheaper" versions. How does the aperture movement feel with the adapter? Are there clear mechanical detents for each stop (or half stop even) or do you have to look at the adapter to know what stop you are at?

i have the fotodiox pro adapter and the aperture ring is smooth and easy to turn (but not too easy) with no detents. should work great for video work. from keeping an eye on the meter it appears to have accurate distance markings from one stop to the next, though the labels are incorrect since my lens is f/2 and the adapter starts at f/1.4. the aperture ring is well placed enough that it feels as natural and easy as on most other adapted manual focus lenses. it falls better to hand than the one on my rx1. no idea how well the mechanism will age though.

Dec 12, 2015 at 05:51 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

sebboh wrote:
i have the fotodiox pro adapter and the aperture ring is smooth and easy to turn (but not too easy) with no detents. should work great for video work. from keeping an eye on the meter it appears to have accurate distance markings from one stop to the next, though the labels are incorrect since my lens is f/2 and the adapter starts at f/1.4. the aperture ring is well placed enough that it feels as natural and easy as on most other adapted manual focus lenses. it falls better to hand than the one on my rx1. no idea
...Show more

Thanks Great info to have. I often shoot by feel using the detents so that would end up being a negative for me.

Dec 12, 2015 at 06:16 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

First I bought the cheap Chinese adapter which was better eg with stop clicks. It was working with A7R/A7 II but then it didn't fit to A7R II. It was too tight. Then I got the fotodiox one... Similarly my techart g af adapter which was working with nex-6, short circuited the A7R. I got the techart ver 3 which fixed the problem. Now it works great with the new firmware updates. The mount changes with Sony doesn't work well with the adapter variations...

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Thanks Great info to have. I often shoot by feel using the detents so that would end up being a negative for me.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Carl Zeiss Contarex 1:2 50mm rolling impressions

serhan_ wrote:
First I bought the cheap Chinese adapter which was better eg with stop clicks. It was working with A7R/A7 II but then it didn't fit to A7R II. It was too tight. Then I got the fotodiox one... Similarly my techart g af adapter which was working with nex-6, short circuited the A7R. I got the techart ver 3 which fixed the problem. Now it works great with the new firmware updates. The mount changes with Sony doesn't work well with the adapter variations...

Yeah, that's kind of crazy. I have noticed where even some of the cheaper, mainstream adapters for popular mounts now specify different versions for A7rII or A7r/A7.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.