New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wilcox AZ for the cranes

MalbikEndar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wilcox AZ for the cranes

I'm thinking of Wilcox either before or after Christmas for the cranes. I've been to Bosque del Apache several times, I'm getting tired of the drive and I guess I want some variety. Any thoughts or experiences??

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wilcox AZ for the cranes

Take a jacket, its colder than heck when those guys go to work in the morning. At least Arizona cold.

Nov 24, 2015 at 06:37 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wilcox AZ for the cranes

Yeah, well I do that anyway, I take my mountain wear including ski pants which helps some. I needed it last year at Bosque when the cranes didn't come to the usual places 'cause it was too cold.

What I want to know is- are there decent photo locations? Any recommendations where they are?

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wilcox AZ for the cranes

You might want to visit during the annual Bird Fest in mid January.
http://www.wingsoverwillcox.com/

Both Portal, Az, and Chiricahua N.M. are well known birding locations. I don't know how many of the critters are around in January, but some do stick around.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:55 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wilcox AZ for the cranes

I can tell you what not to do.

Whitewater draw is the place to see em, so many you nearly need hearing protection. But I've never left there with a shot that was worth a darn. There is also a viewing area up by the power plant. Or just drive around the valley after they head out for breakfast.

Nov 25, 2015 at 09:53 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wilcox AZ for the cranes

Bosque is popular for a reason.

I've been to both White Water Draw (near Wilcox) and Cibola (near Blythe), and just came back from my second trip to Bosque. None of these two AZ locations come close to Bosque in convenience/photo opportunities (with Cibola NWR being way better than Wilcox.)

In White Water Draw, there are thousands of cranes, but you have to stay on a boardwalk, with the closest cranes being about 1/3 mile away. The fly-off is nice, with colorful northern sky and Winchester mountains as a backdrop. There are some other birds, too, but not as many as in Bosque. I am sure there are other locations around Wilcox, but finding/accessing them is not very straightforward.

In Cibola NWR, you will be much closer to the birds than in Wilcox, but shooting from one angle only, as you cannot walk or drive around the pond, like in Bosque. The fly off is very nice, against eastern sky (tall mountains to the east, so you will have enough light and still not shooting against the sun.) When it comes to watching cranes in the fields, Cibola is similar to Bosque. There are multiple other wildlife opportunities besides cranes - some snow geese, burrowing owls, lots of duck species, deer, wild burros, raptors etc. Overall, the area is very pretty, and you do not have to rub elbows with other photographers as there will be very few.

Sasha.

Dec 01, 2015 at 05:07 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wilcox AZ for the cranes

Thanks all. I think maybe I will give Cibola a try. I can also make some non-bird stops on the way to Cibola.

The thing about Bosque- I was there last year with better equipment than previously and got worse pictures ('cause it was colder that usual and the cranes didn't do what they usually do).

Dec 05, 2015 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.