Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

JMDobson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

With the basketball season getting started for many of us, I think it would be nice to have a refresher on places to start. Attached is a graphic with numbers. Please say what spot is your most successful and maybe what focal length you use while there. Feel free to add example photos! If you have interesting/quirky tips for covering the game beyond normal sports help, that's even better.

For example, my favorite spot is somewhere between 4 and 5, depending on how belligerent the referee is, and I use a 70-200 or 120-300.

Nov 24, 2015 at 09:33 AM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

For me it would be the opposite of 5. I mainly shot HS and most kids come' at me from the right side so they are coming towards me for a dunk or layup. I use a 70-200 and a 50mm.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:31 AM
ronlane
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

Really good idea. The few games that I have shot have been between 4 and 5 and occasionally from the opposite side 4 and 5.

Getting a good discussion of settings action and technique sounds like a great idea to me. I'm up for learning and trying different things to get better images.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:37 AM
rob4bama
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

Here is #4 / #5-ish but from the right side.

1. 317A48561048 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

2. 317A48591051 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

3. 317A49371096 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

4. 317A49111080 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

5. 317A48951071 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:41 AM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

Well, something I've been battling with is how to properly use a mid-range zoom for the under the basket shots. I always feel like the images I create are not nearly the strength of my telephoto work. Any shooting techniques that could make these photos better?

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:50 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

How about 6, 7, 8 & 9 with 8 being where the 3 point line meets the baseline and 9 on the sideline.

https://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-n59tJ52/0/L/JRLS3155-L.jpg

https://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-xwhk5NZ/0/L/JRLS3132-L.jpg

https://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-mPzmfrZ/0/L/NQ1U6857-L.jpg

https://jrlsphotos.smugmug.com/Photography/Fred-Miranda-postings/Fred-Miranda-postings/i-RZp8f35/0/L/JRLS4422-L.jpg

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:37 PM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

Yes, for me it would be 6, 7 and 8. I almost always shoot from the right of the basket for the right hander layups with a 70-200. I get black butt shots sometimes so you have to figure out how the ref works and adjust.

I sometimes bring a 300 for the far court shots but there are fewer keepers since you are shooting through extra players.

I spend a little time up in the stands just in front of the backboard, again, to the right of the basket and a little time directly under the basket with a wider lens.

For me there is not much different to get from 1 & 2 on either side and from there you miss the shooting.

Nov 24, 2015 at 02:20 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

4 and 5, on either side either w/ my 24-70 primarily, or 70-200. I will swap sides depending on the ref's position, watching the inbounds pass side and go diagonal (when there's two refs). In playoffs, w/ 3 refs, it's tougher.

Chris

Nov 24, 2015 at 02:32 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

At the local D1 arena, I am limited to baseline shooting, from nearly under the rim to the corner. But, if you look for angles and use all of your focal lengths, you can be a bit creative. Just a couple from a two recent games. These are from 400mm to 24mm, using 3 lenses, the 400 2.8is, 70-200 2.8 IS II and the 24-70 2.8 II.

Nov 24, 2015 at 03:01 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

I shoot at position 4 most of the time, choosing the side where the ump is less likely to get his butt in the middle of my frame all the time.

Most of it is with a 70-200 f/2.8, with a 300 f/2.8 for cross-court action.

Nov 24, 2015 at 05:50 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

I took the liberty to expand the OP diagram based on our venues.

Gear:
1DmkIIn, 7DkII (new this season), 60D, 5DmkII
300/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, 8/3.5 (new)

We have permission to use portable strobes, but because we shoot as many as 6 games a night, we don't have time to set up and tear down. Working on a long term plan for permanent strobes in venues.

We have 7 class 3A or 4A high schools and several have two floors. Three have mezzanines to shoot from.

I have a habit of not staying put for very long so I shoot from nearly every numbered position on my diagram including in the stands depending on what's going on. I will often shoot in the student section, from above/behind/front of the students and next to the scoring tables.

In three of our schools, the mezzanines allow me to shoot through the glass backboards for layups and over the top edge (or through) for free throws. Often I will shoot from rim level to one side or another but in the stands. I shoot behind the benches to get numbers and on court play as well as jube shots or wide angle/up close of time outs & huddles. (these positions also apply to volleyball, wrestling, basketball, dance, cheer, and whatever else happens).

I adjust my positions for background as well. We have one school with a US Flag on the wall and makes a nice bg for layups.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69058466/FredMiranda/BBallPositions/BasketballShootingPositions1.png

Edited on Nov 24, 2015 at 09:42 PM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2015 at 09:27 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

timgangloff wrote:
At the local D1 arena, I am limited to baseline shooting, from nearly under the rim to the corner. But, if you look for angles and use all of your focal lengths, you can be a bit creative. Just a couple from a two recent games. These are from 400mm to 24mm, using 3 lenses, the 400 2.8is, 70-200 2.8 IS II and the 24-70 2.8 II.

Tim, LOVE that last shot with the ball coming at you.

Nov 24, 2015 at 09:35 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

JMDobson wrote:
Well, something I've been battling with is how to properly use a mid-range zoom for the under the basket shots. I always feel like the images I create are not nearly the strength of my telephoto work. Any shooting techniques that could make these photos better?

My 2 cents....
I like under the basket too. For littler kids, the wider view can work, showing their elevation and extension with the ball.

But as you show in #1, in high school or above, I'd don't find the wide view showing 10 vertical feet keeps it interesting, and has less fine detail.

Now imagine that same shot of just the top half with full detail. It would show more emotion and still show the elevation up around the rim/backboard rtc. . If you want elevation, I find more hi zonal level from the corner or side is a better angle to capture it and maintain perspective.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:43 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

I use all of 3, 4 and 5. Around here I am pretty much free to move as I wish and I use strobes. Also, depending on the gym I will look for other unique angles. Top row of bleachers, a mezzanine, etc.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

I prefer to get down low at mid-court and shoot with a 135.

http://weekendshooter.com/midcourt-sample.jpg

http:/ /http://weekendshooter.com/midcourt-sample2.jpg

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

I shoot mostly at 5 and 2 and usually shoot with an 85 1.8 and a 70-200

Nov 26, 2015 at 02:05 PM
rassilon

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

I prefer mounting a remote to the post. It does take a beating from players, cheerleaders and balls but it produces nice shots.

© rassilon 2015

Dec 08, 2015 at 11:50 AM
shelland
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

rassilon wrote:
I prefer mounting a remote to the post. It does take a beating from players, cheerleaders and balls but it produces nice shots.

Must be nice to shoot in a venue that allows those angles. (let alone the lighting itself) :P

Dec 12, 2015 at 03:29 AM
sinbad747
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

I would LOVE to shoot in a location with this kind of lighting.....

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:33 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What is your favorite basketball shooting position?

I'm stuck on all of this.

The venue we have here only sells (at this time) for the seats on either side of the court. The 'end zones' are empty. So finding an alleyway for good action, and good backgrounds, are a bit of a toss-up. I tend to crop a lot to just get the players alone, and try and remove a black hole of nothing.

Heavily Resized to 700 on the large side.

Heavily Resized to 700 on the large side.

Dec 27, 2015 at 04:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.