FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

My wife and I took a road trip through the National Parks and other areas of the beautiful Southwest. We were fortunate to be in Monument Valley for the first snowfall of the season. It was a beautiful morning.

The vast majority of my work has been posted in the Nature & Wildlife Forum as an avid bird photographer, but it's been really fun (and challenging) to try my hand at landscape photography. The quality of work over here is excellent, and I look forward to learning from your C&C which are highly encouraged and most appreciated.

Kirk ~ D810 w 24-70 f/2.8G ~ Exif Intact ~ All taken between 6:05 - 6:30am

1)
http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/161884869/original.jpg

2)
http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/161917545/original.jpg

3)
http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/161895848/original.jpg

4)
http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/161895866/original.jpg

5)
http://www.pbase.com/kirkbenson/image/161870200/original.jpg

Edited on Nov 24, 2015 at 01:43 AM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:50 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Hey Kirk,

That's cool with the snow there. It provides some great color contrast. My favorites are #4 followed by #5.

Jim

Nov 24, 2015 at 01:38 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

#5 for me all the way, something about that one I like the most. The light on the left, blue sky on the right, stormy, red rocks in snow...yep...like that one.

The wind/snow blown top in #2 is interesting.

Nov 24, 2015 at 07:41 AM
Bob Altic
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Love #5, looks really cold. It was incredibly hot when I was there summer 3 years ago. Wow, what extremes. Thanks for sharing, wonderful shots. Bob

Nov 24, 2015 at 08:15 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

You have some great scenes there. Well done.
Hard to pick any favs, but I do like #2 (pano) and the last. I think the pano has nice leading structures towards the cool cloud formation on the rightmost mitten.
And think, you can just pop in to the hotel and have coffee and hotcakes! Could it be any better?

David

Nov 24, 2015 at 09:11 AM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Cool series of images of the MV. #1 and 5 are my favorites.

Nov 24, 2015 at 09:42 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Great series. Number 5 is my favorite.

Nov 24, 2015 at 02:28 PM
Devon Spencer
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Great shots. Number 5 is the best for me though. The composition with the other shots do not have the same draw to me as number 5.

Nov 24, 2015 at 06:52 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Beautiful captures Kirk, the last two have the colorful sky but I also love the composition and atmosphere of the second.

Heron

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Chance2
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

They all appear natural, but I would say there's room to play with some curves in each of these and removing a little blue from a couple might help; at least judging from my monitor. Great scenes, though. Especially the last, which I don't think you could have timed any better.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:38 AM
ShahanaPinky
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Amazing shots, beautiful capture and wonderful photos. Like so much. Thanks for sharing these.

Nov 25, 2015 at 05:30 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

JimFox wrote:
Hey Kirk,

That's cool with the snow there. It provides some great color contrast. My favorites are #4 followed by #5.

Jim

Thanks for the picks Jim, we were delighted to be there at the right time. Very cool to stay at The View Hotel.

Kirk
---------------------------------------------

Travis Rhoads wrote:
#5 for me all the way, something about that one I like the most. The light on the left, blue sky on the right, stormy, red rocks in snow...yep...like that one.

The wind/snow blown top in #2 is interesting.

Thanks so much for the good words and thoughtful feedback Travis... most appreciated.

Kirk

Bob Altic wrote:
Love #5, looks really cold. It was incredibly hot when I was there summer 3 years ago. Wow, what extremes. Thanks for sharing, wonderful shots. Bob

Really appreciate the kind words Bob. Extremes for sure, the day before I was shooting in the beautiful golden tones of the late afternoon sun with beautiful puffy clouds. Very cool place when the conditions are right. Thanks again.

Kirk

dgdg wrote:
You have some great scenes there. Well done.
Hard to pick any favs, but I do like #2 (pano) and the last. I think the pano has nice leading structures towards the cool cloud formation on the rightmost mitten.
And think, you can just pop in to the hotel and have coffee and hotcakes! Could it be any better?

David

Thanks David, glad you enjoyed the set. We stayed at The View Hotel and absolutely loved every minute. Yes, breakfast with that view of the Mittens is really cool.

Kirk

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:04 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Kirk, these are very nice, #2 gives a real sense of the expanse of the scene.
I like them all.

-Tim

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:55 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

Wow these things are like the land that time forgot. It's difficult for someone who's never seen them to get a real sense of perspective but they look huge (high). For that reason I like #1 the best as it tends to emphasise that feeling I have of immense size and #5 could be from Game of Thrones

I like the whole series though.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:47 AM
ifaynshteyn
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

#5 takes the cake for me, both because it is a non-standard composition, and it has the most interesting lighting. The blue sky peaking out with a bit of bright light, and the snow/fog slowly covering the cliff.

Nov 29, 2015 at 06:10 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

LSExplorer wrote:
Cool series of images of the MV. #1 and 5 are my favorites.

Thanks so much, really appreciate it.

Kirk

Fred Amico wrote:
Great series. Number 5 is my favorite.

Thank you Fred!

Kirk

Devon Spencer wrote:
Great shots. Number 5 is the best for me though. The composition with the other shots do not have the same draw to me as number 5.

Most appreciated Spencer. Yeah #5 is the non-typical view at MV, the others are iconic views that are always seen... but I still had to do it.

Thanks again, Kirk

OregonSun wrote:
Beautiful captures Kirk, the last two have the colorful sky but I also love the composition and atmosphere of the second.

Heron

Thanks so much for the very kind words Heron, I'm so glad you enjoyed the set.

Kirk

Chance2 wrote:
They all appear natural, but I would say there's room to play with some curves in each of these and removing a little blue from a couple might help; at least judging from my monitor. Great scenes, though. Especially the last, which I don't think you could have timed any better.

Really appreciate the feedback, I'll definitely try your suggestions. Thank you for your kind words and the love on #5.

Kirk

ShahanaPinky wrote:
Amazing shots, beautiful capture and wonderful photos. Like so much. Thanks for sharing these.

Really appreciate the wonderful compliment, thank you.

Kirk

Dec 01, 2015 at 12:41 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · First Snowfall at Monument Valley

tfoltz wrote:
Kirk, these are very nice, #2 gives a real sense of the expanse of the scene.
I like them all.

-Tim

Thanks Tim, it was so cool to wake up to this beautiful scene.

Kirk

Frogfish wrote:
Wow these things are like the land that time forgot. It's difficult for someone who's never seen them to get a real sense of perspective but they look huge (high). For that reason I like #1 the best as it tends to emphasise that feeling I have of immense size and #5 could be from Game of Thrones

I like the whole series though.

Thanks so much for the very kind words, I'm so glad you enjoyed the set. I really hope you get to see them in person someday.

Kirk

ifaynshteyn wrote:
#5 takes the cake for me, both because it is a non-standard composition, and it has the most interesting lighting. The blue sky peaking out with a bit of bright light, and the snow/fog slowly covering the cliff.

Thanks for the love on #5, I was the only one photographing in that direction.

Kirk

Dec 03, 2015 at 02:50 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.