New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Pricey piece of junk

p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pricey piece of junk

PetKal wrote:
I am obviously not knowledgeable of the difficulties involved in the design and production of a high grade IQ lens with f/1.0 aperture, however, there is but a loose correlation between the development and production costs on one hand, and retail prices on the other. In other words, Canon will price their lenses as high as they could possibly get away with.
The only comparable lens currently in production is the Noctilux, and that is not an AF lens either. Although, of course, Canon is not Leica, I do not see Canon being particularly motivated to give an economy f/1.0 lens
...Show more
Well, Leica is by any means not the company that can serve as a reference wrt pricing. There is a more sensibly priced alternative to the current Noctilux that might give a hint of how much a lens like this might cost without the "red dot tax": http://www.photozone.de/leicam/861-slrmagic50t095 The ebay references below indicate the current price of about $3000 which in itself is, of course, exorbitantly high but a lot less than the price of the Noctilux. The most unsettling aspect of this situation is that, per Photozone's tests, the SLRMagic beats the Leica Noctilux on most IQ metrics (except distortion)!
So fetch me Tamron 45/1.8, I'm outta here.

Nov 26, 2015 at 09:51 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pricey piece of junk

I know the minute I buy it, they will release version two.

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:27 AM

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pricey piece of junk

RobertLynn wrote:
I know the minute I buy it, they will release version two.

Well... someone has to do it for the community's sake!

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pricey piece of junk

There were about 4500 50/1.0L made, in total. It shared the L1 77mm USM motor with the big whites of the era and the 85/1.2, so there could be shared parts harvested from one of those if need be.

The 2 aspherical lenses were ground/polished, not moulded or hybrid, so that added to costs. Additionally, some of the glass used was unique then, and may no longer be available now, since glassmakers have basically abandoned leaded glass formulas, and non-lead formulas do not achieve the same performance. Also Canon developed special coatings just for this lens, to offset the color cast of the unique glass formulas.

It's too bad they will never make a successor but it's great they did this lens at all. It really has some unique traits that are not seen in any other lens. Holds it's value pretty well too.

-Ed

Nov 29, 2015 at 06:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.