New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Pricey piece of junk

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pricey piece of junk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-50mm-F-1-0-L-USM-Lens-from-Japan-50-1-0-JUNK-CONDITION-/191693282591?hash=item2ca1cf5d1f:g:v7QAAOSwKrhVcNli

Both AF (and MF) are dead in that baby.
Otherwise the lens looks OK, and should all repair attempts fail, it could still have some ornamental or curio value.
If it was priced around $1,000, I'd perhaps take the repair challenge as well as the risk, however, the seller asks much more than that for it.

Nov 23, 2015 at 04:23 PM
Wysongj
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pricey piece of junk

Very expensive if it doesn't work. I think I would rather buy the f/1.2, which is still super narrow, but more usable.

Nov 23, 2015 at 04:33 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pricey piece of junk

Peter, yikes that could be an expensive paperweight
I take it you have one of these marvels of tech? If so, howz the bokeh?

Nov 23, 2015 at 04:35 PM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pricey piece of junk

Wow, just wow. That's a lot to pay for "junk condition".

Nov 23, 2015 at 04:40 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pricey piece of junk

StillFingerz wrote:
Peter, yikes that could be an expensive paperweight
I take it you have one of these marvels of tech? If so, howz the bokeh?

Jerry, I've had 3 or 4 of those lenses pass thru my hands, and I still have one in my modest collection. Its bokeh is very different than anything else you'd see with other Canon lenses....it can be nicely artistic, it can look even conventional, while at times it may become fractured and jarring looking. The lens needs to be used in a thoughtful manner in order to circumvent its weaknesses.

Nov 23, 2015 at 04:41 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pricey piece of junk

I was sure yoy were going to talk about your 7D2

Nov 23, 2015 at 04:51 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pricey piece of junk

lowa2 wrote:
I was sure yoy were going to talk about your 7D2

Well, the thought crossed my mind.

Just a couple of weeks ago I used 50 f/1.0 on one of our stunt Great blue herons.
The camera was my old but dependable/predictable 40D.
Two years ago I did a 50 f/1.0 shoot of my stunt Wood ducks too.

40D + 50 f/1.0 @ f/2.5

1DX + 50 f/1.0 @ f/1.0

Edited on Nov 24, 2015 at 10:54 AM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2015 at 05:09 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pricey piece of junk

PetKal wrote:
Well, the thought crossed my mind.

Just a couple of weeks ago I used 50 f/1.0 on one of our stunt Great blue herons.
The camera was my old but dependable/predictable 40D.

OMG, you can mount any glass on any DSLR and come out with a nice pijun shot, Pete!

Have you tried a body cap with a pinhole on it at birds?

Nov 23, 2015 at 05:24 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pricey piece of junk

Liquidstone wrote:
OMG, you can mount any glass on any DSLR and come out with a nice pijun shot, Pete!

Have you tried a body cap with a pinhole on it at birds?

Thank you Romy, I get lots of lucky shots.
Haven't used a pinhole camera yet () on them birds, but recently I did photograph a stunt juvenile Wood pijun with a Rebel + 35L.

Rebel T6s + 35L @ f/2.8

Nov 23, 2015 at 05:35 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pricey piece of junk

This is the suff that comes with all bragging rights and for a song.

A combo-magnifico:
http://web.ncf.ca/fm568/Combo 1.jpg

Superior µcontrast & resolution corner-to-corner, plus a superior AF, unlike the 7D2.

http://web.ncf.ca/fm568/Takumar1.jpg
http://web.ncf.ca/fm568/Takumar2.jpg

Nov 24, 2015 at 05:53 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pricey piece of junk

That looks quite sharp, Lan11.

Nov 24, 2015 at 06:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pricey piece of junk

PetKal wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-50mm-F-1-0-L-USM-Lens-from-Japan-50-1-0-JUNK-CONDITION-/191693282591?hash=item2ca1cf5d1f:g:v7QAAOSwKrhVcNli

Both AF (and MF) are dead in that baby.
Otherwise the lens looks OK, and should all repair attempts fail, it could still have some ornamental or curio value.
If it was priced around $1,000, I'd perhaps take the repair challenge as well as the risk, however, the seller asks much more than that for it.

All they need to do is find one buyer, I mean sucker...

EBH

Nov 24, 2015 at 07:56 PM

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pricey piece of junk

I remember seeing a photo of trashed 50/1.0 - with utterly destroyed glass parts, as though a bullet came through it - here on the boards. If only the AF unit of that lens had been salvageable, it might've been worth it to assemble one working copy from two goners.

I wonder... how many copies of the 50/1.0 remain in circulation, anyway?

Nov 25, 2015 at 09:00 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pricey piece of junk

Snopchenko wrote:
I remember seeing a photo of trashed 50/1.0 - with utterly destroyed glass parts, as though a bullet came through it - here on the boards. If only the AF unit of that lens had been salvageable, it might've been worth it to assemble one working copy from two goners.

I wonder... how many copies of the 50/1.0 remain in circulation, anyway?

Well, I remember when an eBay seller had spare (brand new from Canon) complete AF units for 50 f/1.0 as well as 200 f/1.8. Unfortunately, they were around $ 800 US each, in fact the AF unit for 50 f/1.0 was probably priced higher than that.
At the time, I just couldn't justify getting them. They also had spare main printed circuit flexboards , I forgot the price for those now, but I could have probably had both for $1,500, and that would guard me against most common failures of 50 f/1.0. However, that sort of "insurance" was simply way too costly.

I believe that a goodly number of all 50 f/1.0 made (about 5,000 units) are still fully functional. The reason is that they are not getting used at all, or if they see some action, that is being done very sparingly. Therefore, most units that are offered for sale are still in excellent, or better, condition.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pricey piece of junk

No box, pass

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:40 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pricey piece of junk

^John Power would never buy this one!

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:51 AM

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pricey piece of junk

Well, I remember when an eBay seller had spare (brand new from Canon) complete AF units for 50 f/1.0 as well as 200 f/1.8. Unfortunately, they were around $ 800 US each, in fact the AF unit for 50 f/1.0 was probably priced higher than that.
At the time, I just couldn't justify getting them. They also had spare main printed circuit flexboards , I forgot the price for those now, but I could have probably had both for $1,500, and that would guard me against most common failures of 50 f/1.0. However, that sort of "insurance" was simply way too costly.

I
...Show more

Thank you for the clarification. I wonder when someone dares to repeat this feat - to make an AF 50/1.0 lens for DSLR? I guess it would make quite a splash; I know there's a few rangefinder lenses of similar (or larger) aperture, but it's not quite the same thing.

Come on Sigma and Tamron, you know we're watching you.

Nov 25, 2015 at 04:56 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pricey piece of junk

Snopchenko wrote:
I wonder when someone dares to repeat this feat - to make an AF 50/1.0 lens for DSLR?

I think an EF 50mm f/1.0 mark II is not a likely candidate for release today, although Canon's lens design know-how must have evolved significantly compared to the early days of EOS/EF in the mid 70s. In those days, the USM autofocus 50mm f/1.0 lens was a showpiece of Canon's new EF technology, and its design was way ahead of its time.

Today, I do not believe Canon needs such avant-garde showpiece lenses because EOS/EF technology has been the dominant force in the field for a number of years. Perhaps they also do not see much profit potential in the $6,000 (?) 50 f/1.0 MkII, based on the projected volume of lens sales.

Nov 25, 2015 at 05:56 PM

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pricey piece of junk

PetKal wrote:
I think an EF 50mm f/1.0 mark II is not a likely candidate for release today, although Canon's lens design know-how must have evolved significantly compared to the early days of EOS/EF in the mid 70s. In those days, the USM autofocus 50mm f/1.0 lens was a showpiece of Canon's new EF technology, and its design was way ahead of its time.

Today, I do not believe Canon needs such avant-garde showpiece lenses because EOS/EF technology has been the dominant force in the field for a number of years. Perhaps they also do not see much profit potential in the $6,000
...Show more

I'm wondering... what caused such a high price of that lens? I'm seeing two large aspherical elements in the design that must've been very difficult to manufacture especially in the 1989, but it's apparent that technology has evolved in leaps and bounds since then (as evidenced by the emergence of other pretty extreme designs like Sigma 20mm f/1.4, also based on a large asphere - double sided to boot). Would it be that difficult to replicate that feat with radically lower cost? I'm wondering. And I'm sure so are a lot of people - especially since ultrafast lenses have come into fashion again (the mirrorless/rangefinder world is awash with f/1.2 or even faster units, but DSLR users have had no such luck apart from the Mitakon 85mm f/1.2).

Nov 26, 2015 at 06:09 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pricey piece of junk

Snopchenko wrote:
I'm wondering... what caused such a high price of that lens? I'm seeing two large aspherical elements in the design that must've been very difficult to manufacture especially in the 1989, but it's apparent that technology has evolved in leaps and bounds since then (as evidenced by the emergence of other pretty extreme designs like Sigma 20mm f/1.4, also based on a large asphere - double sided to boot). Would it be that difficult to replicate that feat with radically lower cost? I'm wondering. And I'm sure so are a lot of people - especially since ultrafast lenses have
...Show more

I am obviously not knowledgeable of the difficulties involved in the design and production of a high grade IQ lens with f/1.0 aperture, however, there is but a loose correlation between the development and production costs on one hand, and retail prices on the other. In other words, Canon will price their lenses as high as they could possibly get away with.
The only comparable lens currently in production is the Noctilux, and that is not an AF lens either. Although, of course, Canon is not Leica, I do not see Canon being particularly motivated to give an economy f/1.0 lens to the masses at a small fraction of the Noctilux price.

Nov 26, 2015 at 07:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.