Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

rdeloe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

I'm new to the world of Zeiss lenses and need a quick confirmation. My new (used) Distagon 21mm f/2.8 ZF (not the ZF.2 version) arrived today. Optically and mechanically it's fantastic. However, I'm curious about the noise I hear when I focus. It may be perfectly normal, but I've never had a Zeiss lens before.

Anyway, when I turn the focus ring I hear a ZZZZ ZZZZ noise. (I feel like I'm describing something I hear in my car to my mechanic...). My guess is it's very fine gears working together. I have many lenses from many other manufacturers, and they're smooth and quiet. Is this how Zeiss lenses sound? It's smooth, but certainly not quiet!

Rob

Nov 23, 2015 at 03:20 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

My 21 ZF.2 does not make any noises. It's buttery smooth. The only noise is from my fingers making intermittent contact with the ribs of the focus ring as I focus the lens. I don't think it's normal for it to make noises.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

Should be buttery smooth without noise

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:04 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

No noise from any of mine.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:26 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

If it's a grinding noise, it's the grease that has dried out. You should send it to be serviced and do not use it in the meantime.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:58 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

It's a grinding noise... My guess was gear-on-gear and that would make sense if the grease has dried. Darn (but thanks for the tips!)

Does anyone know of a good camera shop in Canada that you'd trust with a Distagon 21/3.5 ZF -- preferably close to Toronto, Ontario?

Nov 24, 2015 at 07:13 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

rdeloe wrote:
It's a grinding noise... My guess was gear-on-gear and that would make sense if the grease has dried. Darn (but thanks for the tips!)

Does anyone know of a good camera shop in Canada that you'd trust with a Distagon 21/3.5 ZF -- preferably close to Toronto, Ontario?

You can try to contact Sherry Krauter or DAG camera in the US, but it would be best to have it serviced by Zeiss themselves. CLA involves dismanteling the lens so who can do it better than Zeiss?

Nov 24, 2015 at 07:24 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

rdeloe wrote:

If you need it repaired, then I would recommend Sun Camera. If you are coming from Guelph it is not far off the 407, so if you pay the toll it is pretty easy to get to. I have had good experience with them. Here is a link to their site:

http://suncameraservice.ca

Nov 24, 2015 at 08:19 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Steve, I tried Sun Camera. They told me that they can't service it (no experience with this lens).

Nov 24, 2015 at 05:58 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

rdeloe wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Steve, I tried Sun Camera. They told me that they can't service it (no experience with this lens).

That is too bad. It looks to me like you should send it to Zeiss. From the Zeiss Canada website you get directed to the sales and service facility in the US.

Here is their contact information:

Address:

Camera and Cine Lenses
One Zeiss Drive
Thornwood / NY , 10594
USA

Phone: 1-800-543-1033
Fax: 1-800-488-6351
email: [email protected]

I hope that helps.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:01 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss lens noise while focusing?

Thanks Steve.
Very kind of you to dig this up for me! I contacted them at this email address and got an immediate "ball park" estimate on the repair cost. I'm going to try one more local repair shop and then I can make up my mind on how to proceed.
Cheers, Rob

Nov 25, 2015 at 08:54 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.