New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Moving Catalogs

Bryan Mordt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moving Catalogs

Hello,

I am using Lightroom 6 and when I import images into my master catalog (from another catalog) my edits, flag status, etc. do not carry over. Is this a known issue or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thank you,
Bryan

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moving Catalogs

IIRC, you should not re-import the images, you should be moving/importing the catalog. That way it brings all that info across for you.

I can't speak to the exact process off the top of my head... I don't do it often.

Paul

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:21 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moving Catalogs

Bryan Mordt wrote:
Hello,

I am using Lightroom 6 and when I import images into my master catalog (from another catalog) my edits, flag status, etc. do not carry over. Is this a known issue or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thank you,
Bryan

what paul says is correct

goto File > Import from another catalogue .

I find this can take a while to do so i normally just copy my master LRcat file over to a memory stick and use that on my laptop . once I'm done I copy that Cat file back onto my main machine (overwrite the older version).if I've imported any new files just move them over to my images drive and point LR at those new files .

but if you are importing into there catalogues you could re-import those files into your master without using Import from Cat if you use XMP sidecar files . those sidecar files have to be in the same older as its raw.
the problem is that not all info is held in the XMP file (Flag status for example) and nor is any edit HISTORY .

so its better to import from a catalogue than to re import .

Nov 24, 2015 at 02:37 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moving Catalogs

Bryan Mordt wrote:
Hello,

Thank you,
Bryan

As the others have said. However, just to be sure, verify that "from another catalog" should have been "from another library" when you described what you did. I suspect that many people confuse catalogs and libraries as if they are the same thing, but they are very different. If you actually did import from another catalog then something has gone wrong. Importing directly from another library can work if there are updated .xmp files for every image file but I avoid using them because they clutter things up, slow things down, and can get separated from the image files. My edits and other info live in the catalog, not in the library as .xmp files.

- Alan

Nov 24, 2015 at 08:29 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.