New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Replacement Focusing Screen

Jason_Brook
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replacement Focusing Screen

I need a replacement focusing screen for a DF. Looking on B&H I only see replacements for D3, D3S, D3x, and film bodies.

What screen do I need for a stock replacement?

With Christmas around the corner, I don't have the cash to get one of the fancy split prism ones.

Nov 23, 2015 at 08:22 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replacement Focusing Screen

I thought Nikon changed the design of their screens to make it impossible/difficult to replace and consequently Cat Eyez and similar companies were not making them for the Df and later cameras. Search the threads.

Nov 23, 2015 at 01:05 PM
Ray S.
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replacement Focusing Screen

I'm not sure how (in)expensive stock screens are, but the replacement screens for the DF are generally in the $85 neighborhood. Are the stock screens much less than that? Here are the replacement screens currently available for the DF - make sure the pricing is set for US dollars - if it re-sets to Taiwan $$, you could scare yourself...

Apologies if this isn't useful - I just couldn't imagine the stock screens being all that much less... Just looked - the Canon screens seem to be in the $35 range.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=22_139

Edit - Actually, I just checked and I still have the original screen from the DF that I replaced with a split-prism model. If you want it, I'm only one county over from you.You can have it for whatever a slightly used stock screen is worth - maybe $20 or so...

-Ray

Nov 23, 2015 at 01:07 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replacement Focusing Screen

Andre; it is really easy to change it in the DF. I haven't played with other cameras to know if they are too, but I imagine they're the same. It's not quite as easy as popping off the viewfinder like on an F, but it's pretty close. I got a little over zealous with a blower and scratched the hell out of mine.

Nov 23, 2015 at 01:15 PM
Ray S.
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replacement Focusing Screen

Andre Labonte wrote:
I thought Nikon changed the design of their screens to make it impossible/difficult to replace and consequently Cat Eyez and similar companies were not making them for the Df and later cameras. Search the threads.

Definitely not impossible. I don't know from difficult, but I managed it without too much trouble... There's a company in Taiwan (maybe others too?) that customizes various different screens to fit various cameras. I have a Canon Ec-B screen in my DF.

-Ray

Nov 23, 2015 at 01:17 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Replacement Focusing Screen

The first time is a nightmare getting the stupid clip out from under the foam, but after that it can be done with your eyes closed.

Nov 23, 2015 at 01:20 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Replacement Focusing Screen

Jason_Brook wrote:
The first time is a nightmare getting the stupid clip out from under the foam, but after that it can be done with your eyes closed.

X2. I swear I aged 5 years debating and figuring it out. After the first time you become a damn expert I can do it in my maybe 30 secs now..

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:20 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Replacement Focusing Screen

Ray S. wrote:
Definitely not impossible. I don't know from difficult, but I managed it without too much trouble... There's a company in Taiwan (maybe others too?) that customizes various different screens to fit various cameras. I have a Canon Ec-B screen in my DF.

-Ray

Cool, glad to see I was mistaken.

Nov 24, 2015 at 08:54 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.