New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

ShutterPonch

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

http://www.photographybay.com/2015/11/22/canon-is-suing-get-it-digital-and-others-to-stop-gray-market-dslr-sales/

Nov 22, 2015 at 07:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

Unless the items are not identified as being originally intended for sale in another region, I don't understand how that is illegal. Obviously they cannot be manipulating serial numbers.

EBH

Nov 22, 2015 at 07:44 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

In the UK a supermarket was selling grey market jeans made in the same factory as the legit ones, got sued by the maker and lost. had to stop selling. Crazy.

The legal argument was they were fakes/copies as they were not official imports!

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:05 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

EB-1 wrote:
Unless the items are not identified as being originally intended for sale in another region, I don't understand how that is illegal. Obviously they cannot be manipulating serial numbers.

EBH

EB,
Relating to your comments, any misrepresentation bearing a legal trademarked product would be fair to injunction for Any counterfeit or information representing the true Canon product.

I am one of the happy customers from Getitdigital. When I register my 7dii on the Canon site, it accepted the serial number. I am not sure whether this means I got an untapped sticker and actual real serial number? However, once it registered, it out to bed any worries about getitdigital.

Edited on Nov 22, 2015 at 08:20 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:19 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

Bad news for the "rumors" sites that relied on these sleazy sellers for referral fees...

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:19 PM
AvianScott
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

molson wrote:
Bad news for the "rumors" sites that relied on these sleazy sellers for referral fees...

Bad news for consumers who have been getting great deals for years from these legit gray market sellers.

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:27 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

AvianScott wrote:
Bad news for consumers who have been getting great deals for years from these legit gray market sellers.

Fake serial numbers and all...

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:38 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

ShutterPonch wrote:
http://www.photographybay.com/2015/11/22/canon-is-suing-get-it-digital-and-others-to-stop-gray-market-dslr-sales/

From the article, these are some of the specific charges:

Using counterfeit serial numbers on gray market Canon products
Lack of enforceable warranties or inferior warranty coverage
Packaging that does not accurately describe the products contained therein
The inclusion of cheap photocopies of product operating manuals, as opposed to genuine manuals that accompany genuine Canon cameras
Power supplies and accessories that are counterfeit, manufactured by third partes and/or not compliant with applicable laws, regulations and certifications

Hard to support most of that stuff — exactly the sort of thing that occasionally angers people here on FM.

Dan

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:41 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

About time things went global anyway. I tried to register gear bought in other countries with CPS and was told to take a running jump. Ah, McFly? People travel.

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

gschlact wrote:
EB,
Relating to your comments, any misrepresentation bearing a legal trademarked product would be fair to injunction for Any counterfeit or information representing the true Canon product.

I am one of the happy customers from Getitdigital. When I register my 7dii on the Canon site, it accepted the serial number. I am not sure whether this means I got an untapped sticker and actual real serial number? However, once it registered, it out to bed any worries about getitdigital.

Let's hope so. However, if the S/N is forged on the label is it also forged in the firmware? That would take some expertise, but I would put nothing beyond the criminal element. One would expect Canon not to appreciate a mismatch between the label and firmware S/N when the body is sent in for service.

EBH

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:50 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

Even if these claims are proven true I don't see how Canon would be eligible for damages since the misrepresentation is against the buyers rather than Canon. I'm guessing Canon realizes this as well and is filing the suit to bring attention to the practices so that they're stopped.

Nov 22, 2015 at 09:36 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

Closing down major grey market sellers within the US wouldn't stop people privately importing items.

I can order a lens from New York on Thursday night my time here in Australia, and have it arrive on Tuesday morning. US consumers could do the reverse from, e.g., Hong Kong.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:02 PM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

I think it's only a matter of time before the other camera companies jump on the bandwagon and start suing gray market sellers under the pretense of "consumer protection." The currency discrepancy between the yen and dollar is only getting bigger over time, and consequently so is the price difference between U.S. and Asian imports. The threat of non-warranty isn't a big enough stick for the some of these differences.

I find it interesting that Canon didn't do anything about gray market sellers for years, but now that their operating profit is down 21%, all of the sudden they're concerned about the issue.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:33 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

snapsy wrote:
Even if these claims are proven true I don't see how Canon would be eligible for damages since the misrepresentation is against the buyers rather than Canon. I'm guessing Canon realizes this as well and is filing the suit to bring attention to the practices so that they're stopped.

Manufacturers have a legitimate interest in protecting the integrity of their brand and their reputation.

If a buyer gets burned by a gray market retailer, it doesn't help the brand.

That's why Canon is eligible for damages from gray market burners.

By not playing by the rules, even conscientious gray market retailers are vulnerable to action by the trademark holder.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:34 PM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

gschlact wrote:
EB,

I've had very good luck with Getitdigital and 3 separate purchases.

However, I can't say the same about one of the other defendants (Big Value Inc.). Bad experience with them.... just one, but that's all it took.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:35 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

No different that anyone of us going after someone that uses (steals) our images. I say Canon, do what you gotta do. I see no problems here.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:10 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

It's canon usa especially when exchange rate is so strong. It cannot compete with import. For canon global, it does not matter where its products are sold.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:14 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

Oooooorrrr they can lower their prices to compete. But I guess it's just easier to sue someone instead to get them to stop.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

fsiagian wrote:
It's canon usa especially when exchange rate is so strong. It cannot compete with import. For canon global, it does not matter where its products are sold.

I thought Canon USA is part of Canon global, wrong?
Canon could have made a lot more if not for the Grey.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon suing grey market camera sellers

riotshield wrote:
The currency discrepancy between the yen and dollar is only getting bigger over time, and consequently so is the price difference between U.S. and Asian imports. The threat of non-warranty isn't a big enough stick for the some of these differences.

Do what Nikon USA does simply refuse service at all for grey market gear.

Nov 23, 2015 at 06:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.