New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Which image do you prefer

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which image do you prefer

I am entering a contest called "Mill as a Muse" for Yates mill.

Everyone was very helpful in pointing out areas to work on with the first photo. Now I need your help in picking which one is better. Hoping it will be easier for someone who is not vested in the photo.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/immolder/_DSC0941%20BW%20Verticle%20Yates_zpsslihgpwa.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/immolder/_DSC0942%203%20Yates_zpslafxayk4.jpg

Thanks for looking and taking the time to answer the poll.

Walt

Nov 22, 2015 at 06:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which image do you prefer

The reason I choose turning was mostly because the splash over on the stopped wheel is not as attractive.

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:25 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which image do you prefer

I agree with Ben that the splash over the wheel in motion is better...but for me the real reason was the motion added to the image adds more life to it, its more dynamic.

Nov 23, 2015 at 07:20 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which image do you prefer

Make that 3 votes for the motion.

Dave

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which image do you prefer

ben egbert wrote:
The reason I choose turning was mostly because the splash over on the stopped wheel is not as attractive.

Thank you Ben for taking the time to give your opinion

Walt

Nov 23, 2015 at 03:29 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which image do you prefer

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I agree with Ben that the splash over the wheel in motion is better...but for me the real reason was the motion added to the image adds more life to it, its more dynamic.

Thank you Travis for your input

Walt

Nov 23, 2015 at 03:30 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which image do you prefer

lighthound wrote:
Make that 3 votes for the motion.

Dave

Thank you Dave it seems like the wheel with the motion is going to be the one, I wasn't sure about the water over the stationary wheel if it was enough sense of motion.

Walt

Nov 23, 2015 at 03:32 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which image do you prefer

Walt,

At first I liked #2 (I'm always out in left field compared to all the pros here) but as I read the comments I began to see the advantages of #1. My comment on #1 is that the wheel has too much blur, making it look like it's rotating very fast. Perhaps it was (!?) but I would like best to see a shot in between #1 and #2, which shows the wheel ~a little~ blurred but not looking like it's spinning like an airplane propeller. Did you by chance take an image or two in between these?

keith

PS Actually I'm not in ~left~ field, I'm in ~right~ field...that's where they put the lousy-est player because no one ever hit the ball there! :-(

Nov 24, 2015 at 07:35 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which image do you prefer

beanpkk wrote:
Walt,

At first I liked #2 (I'm always out in left field compared to all the pros here) but as I read the comments I began to see the advantages of #1. My comment on #1 is that the wheel has too much blur, making it look like it's rotating very fast. Perhaps it was (!?) but I would like best to see a shot in between #1 and #2, which shows the wheel ~a little~ blurred but not looking like it's spinning like an airplane propeller. Did you by chance take an image or two in between these?

keith

PS Actually I'm
...Show more

Kieth you are not out in left field, I wanted to show motion but not blur the spokes too much.

This is a shot with the wheel less blurred but it doesn't have the nice water falling off the wheel like the other. Curious as to what you think of this one?

thanks for commenting

Walt

Nov 24, 2015 at 08:07 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which image do you prefer

Walt,

Just for giggles I took a stab at combining the two to get the water from the moving wheel with the wheel parts from the stationary one with a little motion blur applied. I think it reduces the apparent speed of the wheel but certainly YMMV and I'm sure others could do this more thoroughly.

Thanks for posting -- this was fun.
keith

edited by Keith, on Flickr

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.