New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fall colors with Friend's daughters

clarence3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall colors with Friend's daughters

I'm just a sports photographer, but our friends asked for some pictures of their daughters.

After saying no several times and explaining that I like sports because I don't have to pose or even interact with the subjects, I just follow the action and click, maybe with a little thought into pre-positioning and basic frame composition.

But the mom was insistent and promised that no posing would be required... just follow them around and click a few times. So we walked around the lake trail in our back yard and that's what I did...

2. Tried to use a single speedlite on the side, but a little harsh with no modifier...

3. I wanted lighting somewhere between previous shot and this one...

Fun to try something different, but I think I'll stick to football.

Nov 22, 2015 at 04:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall colors with Friend's daughters

Given your lack of experience with posing and presumably lighting subjects, I think you did a fabulous job. 12 totally rocks. 10 is a really good shot that displays their relationship. Good job!

Nov 22, 2015 at 06:36 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall colors with Friend's daughters

Gotta agree with Ron - well done on this set. Don't limit your photos to sports.

Nov 22, 2015 at 09:36 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall colors with Friend's daughters

Thanks guys.

I think this session only turned out ok since I've known these girls since they were preschoolers.

We got lucky with nice light and decent foliage. Their mom and my wife had talked about it, but I had no idea I was supposed to do the shoot until they rang the doorbell.

In hindsight, just grabbing my camera and going on an impromptu walk with them was easier than if I would've had fair warning to try to do a cram course on feminine portrait posing and lighting.

Nov 23, 2015 at 03:45 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fall colors with Friend's daughters

Nice job! You're well on your way to becoming a people/portrait photographer. Kudos for the experimentation with the flash. Just bring an assistant along next time to hold the flash and/or reflectors, and you'll do fine.

No giving up after your first try !

TFS!

Nov 24, 2015 at 04:34 PM
Vince Muehe

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fall colors with Friend's daughters

It seems every book on portraits has a bit of advice about the clothing not being too busy or contrasting too much with others in the same photo. Two totally different plaids and it works great.

#10 is by far my favorite.

Nice job!

Nov 29, 2015 at 09:02 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fall colors with Friend's daughters

Very nice series, I like the natural poses and colors.

Marcelo

Dec 02, 2015 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.