Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

puumala

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

I shoot a basketball league every fall and I'm working on my design for next year. Every year I try to tweak it a little bit to update it and make it look better. But after a certain while, I start to run out of ideas so I'm looking for some feedback on my design: things I could change or some new ideas I could do. Below is where I'm at so far.

Thanks.

http://www.grinnellmutual.com/images/imagesample.jpg

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

Design looks good, but the shots themselves on that floor and white wall background are very amateurish.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:06 PM
puumala

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

I don't necessarily disagree, however, I'm not sure what to do different. In what respect are you referring? What can I do differently?

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:37 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

Some things you might consider to do different would be get a background and some type of floor material.....ideally shoot on a basketball court with a sport specific background or you might consider extracting the teams and individuals and putting into a digital template.

Nov 22, 2015 at 08:03 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

Some of the stuff being done by fellow T&Iers are simply extraordinary. Well worth the google search.

Nov 23, 2015 at 09:34 PM
rswheels

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

I like the overall design of the template. What stands out is the font used for "Shock", All of the other font has a grunge look and then the Shock is very flat with what looks like a Emboss effect (maybe try an overlay of another grunge texture), also if you don't have a background you may try pulling the team further away from the wall so you do not get the shadows and also may be able to blur it out slightly, although it will be tough because you probably have to shoot with a low f stop to get everyone in focus. Definitely save up for a solid background, it will make a world of difference.
Best of luck!

Jan 21, 2016 at 02:58 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

Paul is right, Google will help give you some ideas. But, I use Pinterest quite a bit too for fresh ideas.

Jan 21, 2016 at 04:51 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

We changed our team photo composites to designs where the individual photo is larger and team photo is smaller but we also give our clients options for just purchasing print packages of various sizes.

I can't tell you the number of times in the past where a client complained that their child's individual picture was tiny and the team photo was huge in the lab-supplied memory mate designs and if they wanted to see everyone else that size, they'd just purchase an 8 x 10 team photo.

I still have clients who want the traditional 5 x 7 print size cardboard memory mate folder with an individual on one side and a team photo on the other.

In fact, some clients only purchase individual photos of their athletes and no team photo so we're pretty sure we offer something for everyone.

The service we use for our extractions provides us with perfect cut outs, has very fast turnarounds and prices are extremely affordable so we make those higher-priced designs available for our clients and change them every season for our various schools and youth organizations.

As to the comments made about basketball backgrounds in photos, we always use the high school gyms for team photo days whether it's a senior or a 3rd grader. You just can't beat the look of a wood floor for basketball pictures and some type of gym background sets it in place.

We use 4 strobes for the team and individuals photos during most of the all-day sessions, making sure that adequate front, back and hair lighting is accomplished.

I always listen to the athletic directors, coaches, booster club and youth boards as to what look they are wanting for their pictures as to backgrounds, allotted time frame, poses and any special photo products for seniors.

Attached are a few designs.

Lee

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:22 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

With the the upward church leagues, the venue can be a challenge. I shoot three upward leagues. Some have a gym, some don't.. I've showed up for a shoot (scheduled in the gym) only to find out when I arrived that the science fair has the gym full and we're going to the lunch room. I always throw in a 20' black backdrop for teams "just in case" but don't have a floor big enough for teams. I always check with the client to see what they want and what they are good with. I use a basketball backdrop for my individuals no matter where I shoot (for youth leagues). Your individual image is pretty plain without a background of some sort....

Jan 22, 2016 at 02:24 PM
alicat
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

I'm just retiring from T&I jobs but I can tell you after 30 years a majority of parents for whatever reason, perhaps how they show them off, really want the old fashioned cardboard folders. With all our digital finesse today and no matter how well we do it, they like the cardboard better. That's in my area at least and based on my sales of course.

Alicat

Jan 25, 2016 at 06:04 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sports T&I Design Feedback

alicat wrote:
I'm just retiring from T&I jobs but I can tell you after 30 years a majority of parents for whatever reason, perhaps how they show them off, really want the old fashioned cardboard folders. With all our digital finesse today and no matter how well we do it, they like the cardboard better. That's in my area at least and based on my sales of course.

Alicat

Alicat:

We offer all forms of photo products and packages but our #1 seller is still a 5 x 7 team, 5 x 7 individual and 8 wallets with an additional order of 3 1/2" buttons or fridge mags.

The digital memory mates do sell but only as part of a package with a few ordered from the add-on menu. We did offer them in 10 x 13 and 16 x 20 sizes but took those off the order forms since nobody ever purchased them.

I still have several of the TAP cardboard memory mate folders in stock in case somebody wants one.

Lee

Jan 26, 2016 at 09:35 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.