Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

Trux

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

I recently left my Gitzo non center column tripod with a RRS BH55 somewhere in the forests of PA. It's got ID labels but so far no return. So I'm looking for the perfect tripod ( but don't think they make it).

I'm looking for a tall, preferably 3 pc non center column tripod that is light weight. A RRS BH 40 will probably be the ball head.

Am looking for an every day tripod. I live in Oregon where hiking trails are abundant, and often carry a tripod for a mile or more, and sometimes just outside the truck. Am 5-10", and take landscape photos 200+ days per year.

Am considering the RRS carbon fiber 24L but it's 4 pc and weighs 4.7 lbs. Or another Gitzo, posssibly one of the Mountaineer series - they have a center column model that only weighs 2.9 lbs but it only goes to head height. Have found head height tripods to be too short often.

Perhaps 2 different tripods is the answer, but right now need the perfect go to everyday tripod.

Would appreciate your recommendation or suggestion. THANK YOU.

Trux.

Nov 20, 2015 at 01:07 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

I needed a tall tripod for bird photography and my Gitzo while great for everything else only goes to 54" in height without the column (which I very seldom use). I bought the Oben CT-2391 that has a max height of 63 inches without extending the column.

The Oben is in every respect the equal of my Gitzo tripod in performance and build quality and weighs only 3.5 lbs. and includes a high quality tripod case. With my $750 Gitzo tripods all I get is a cloth sack that is a throw away item.

For most work I use the Gitzo 2531LVL tripod. It is the most popular tripod used by outdoor videographers and I use its quick leveling capability for my still photography. Being able to move the tripod to a new location and have it re-leveled in 5 seconds without having to touch the legs or adjust their length is a real blessing. I need the tripod level for general use but in particular for panoramics or when panning with a large lens on the camera.

Nov 20, 2015 at 03:43 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

Dang, how do you forget a tripod and expensive head out in the wilderness? Although, ,you said "left" not "forgot" so I reckon a bear is involved. Do tell.

Also, what kind of camera / lenses are you mounting?

Budget? Sounds like budget won't dominate your thought process.

I have a 4 piece Slik that I'm pretty fond of - it's quite light and easy to pack on the side of my camera bag. With a BH40 on top I wouldn't say it's vibration-free enough for me to want to use with a 1d series, 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.4 extender, but for hauling around hiking for landsacape photos I like it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 03:44 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

You might want to take a look at Jobu-Design Algonquin tripod. It's a 3-section without a center column that is 62 inch tall, it is rated 25 kg + and only weighs 4.2 lbs. I use this with my 7D2 + 600mm f/4L I lens and it's rock solid.

http://jobu-design.3dcartstores.com/algonquin-carbon-tripod-with-foam-grips_p_122.html

Nov 20, 2015 at 04:12 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

RRS website has a nice sizing chart/picture that allows you to quickly size which model fits you best - even if you don't go with them, it's good info.
yeah, you need to provide a bit more info regarding what you want or at least be more specific
Budget, height, weight, purpose and then reliability(manufactur's support, warranty and stability)
Induro and Feisol would be two brand I would consider for mid-expensive budget - you already know about Gitzo and RRS
Take in account the carbon type will be lighter, less cold in the hands, and less problematic dealing with moisture, mud and volcanic ash.
Yeah, I know about the weight thing - pounds get heavier as one goes higher in the mountain
the second number on the RRS #3 or #4 tells you how many leg sections...and ditch the center column models btw

Nov 20, 2015 at 04:42 PM
Trux

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

Thanks for the advice T.H.

That certainly is a good question. Well all I can say is I'm 65 now, and have been carrying that thing for years - perhaps I'm getting a bit forgetful! Maybe the answer is some stretch cord and a clip! lol.

Anyway I'm using a D810 and 800E with RRS L brackets and have many Nikon good lenses.

Will take a look at the Slik line-up.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Nov 20, 2015 at 04:49 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

will an elevated center post provide the stability you need?

I use one sometimes, but other times it is too 'floppy'

Nov 20, 2015 at 04:50 PM
Trux

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

Thank you.

You are the second person today to mention the Oben tripods. A camera club member also suggested looking at them.

Will also check out the Gitzo 2531 LVL.

They sound very interesting.

Nov 20, 2015 at 04:57 PM
Trux

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

That's what I think about the center column tripods also. Just fine if you don't elevate them or keep them very short.

Thanks to all of you who have or will reply!

For clarity of information ( sorry for not providing some pertinent info.) Am more concerned with quality, but don't want to discount a great tripod just because it is not well known.

The heaviest lens for this tripod will probably be a 300 f/4 or 70-200 f/2.8. I have a tall (and heavy) 3 pc non center column tripod with a Wimberly head for my 500 f/4.

Am retired, but consider landscape and wildlife photography my passion and full time job. Though I seldom get paid for it, like all of us I guess, I take it seriously and try for excellence.

I'm blessed to have great equipment and love using it.

Thanks to all for your help.

Nov 20, 2015 at 05:09 PM
Trux

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need advice for best tripod for a serious photographer.

Thanks Driver Hank,

Will check those out.

That's what I meant about being thankful to you guys for providing good info on equipment I'm not familiar with.

Trux

Nov 20, 2015 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.