New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Made New Website

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Made New Website

Hey,

I've run various tests and it seems pretty stable etc. but I would appreciate it if folk on here could take a look? I'm not posting it until Monday.

Context: Clients often ask to see my personal work and buy the odd piece. Until now, it had just been a single gallery hidden on a proofing page, which wasn't great for a whole range of reasons, but did the job.

I've found personal works and projects particularly important so I've decided to make it a bit easier, beyond what is simply made for me (albums, wall prints).

All the images are made with Sony (RX1), Leica (240), Minolta (7s2) cameras.

Thanks

http://ourfragments.com/

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:55 AM
polishbroadcas

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Made New Website

Looks nice. Love the url and was glad to see the site is responsive, or at least loads a mobile version.

My only comment would be the text over the images About, Contact, Coming soon are hard to read and compete with the 1, 2, 3, 4 immediately below. They also repeat info in your main nav. It would be good to have a clear path for the visitor here. Are you wanting them to look at your work? Order something? etc.

Looks great overall. I especially like the main hero image on the home.

Nov 19, 2015 at 05:52 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Made New Website

polishbroadcas wrote:
Looks nice. Love the url and was glad to see the site is responsive, or at least loads a mobile version.

My only comment would be the text over the images About, Contact, Coming soon are hard to read and compete with the 1, 2, 3, 4 immediately below. They also repeat info in your main nav. It would be good to have a clear path for the visitor here. Are you wanting them to look at your work? Order something? etc.

Looks great overall. I especially like the main hero image on the home.

Thanks so much for the feedback! Could you share you screen resolution and or device you were viewing on? Particularly with regards to text reading.

I thin the direction is clearer with the main non mobile version. I have many responsive elements but a fully responsive version eg desktop same as mobile won't be out until Jan 16. I was aware of this before creating, just something I wanted to "get done" in a sense whilst I had the time.

Thanks again

Nov 19, 2015 at 06:07 PM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Made New Website

I think it is really good. It might be a good idea to decrease the size of the header so people know to scroll down? Also, in general all the fonts are the same, but in the footer there are 3 different fonts. If that bugs you, change it, otherwise, don't. Nice site and great photos

Nov 19, 2015 at 06:58 PM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Made New Website

Sorry, viewed on monitor 1920x1080

Nov 19, 2015 at 06:59 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Made New Website

austinschutz wrote:
I think it is really good. It might be a good idea to decrease the size of the header so people know to scroll down? Also, in general all the fonts are the same, but in the footer there are 3 different fonts. If that bugs you, change it, otherwise, don't. Nice site and great photos

---------------------------------------------

austinschutz wrote:
Sorry, viewed on monitor 1920x1080

Thank you for the feedback!

RE: Scrolling down, when you landed did this not become obvious or a clear direction? This is not a trick question or anything I am genuinely interested.

The intention is to have the header fit to the full window size upon landing for impact, just the way I like it. However, I'd be interested if you could expand on above - I did think about adding a small arrow overlay near the bottom of the header just to suggest "Hey, come down here".

RE: Footer, that does annoy me, I'll look into that. I had a couple of (boring) issues with the footer so that was the last thing I did yesterday before posting, so I agree it's not quite right.

Thanks again!

Nov 20, 2015 at 08:22 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Made New Website

iPad
There is a space under the header and before the menu bar.
When the menu bar is scrolled off the top of the page, it's not smooth, you could have it freeze to the top and have the lower stuff scroll under it.

I like the quotes, I like this one:
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
Mark Twain

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:54 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Made New Website

LightShow wrote:
iPad
There is a space under the header and before the menu bar.
When the menu bar is scrolled off the top of the page, it's not smooth, you could have it freeze to the top and have the lower stuff scroll under it.

I like the quotes, I like this one:

What about when your eyes and imagination are out of focus I like that quote too, thanks for sharing it!

Thank you for your feedback as well!

- Unfortunately the white space on ipad/tablet is part of the design and can't be adjusted (that will change in Jan). For now I'm okay with it as I think viewers know where they need to go.
- Do you mean the menu disappears off the page completely? Can I ask which iPad you're on? I've had this same menu on my main site for some years and it is noted that it can be a little erratic with touch screens. It's not something I've experienced too much nor have clients so I've let it be for now. Can I ask if the menu comes back if you carry on scrolling or using the page? Or does it run away forever? I do have an option to have it respond different to touch screens, but I will report this back.

Thanks again!

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Made New Website

ricardovaste wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Thank you for the feedback!

RE: Scrolling down, when you landed did this not become obvious or a clear direction? This is not a trick question or anything I am genuinely interested.

The intention is to have the header fit to the full window size upon landing for impact, just the way I like it. However, I'd be interested if you could expand on above - I did think about adding a small arrow overlay near the bottom of the header just to suggest "Hey, come down here".

RE: Footer, that does annoy me, I'll look into that. I had a couple of
...Show more

I thought it was obvious, but I think the arrow overlay might be good for those who are less tech savvy?

Nov 20, 2015 at 01:05 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Made New Website

I've added an arrow now, which I think will help for those 'less tech savvy'. Someone suggested adding a word "scroll" next to it... which I just couldn't do. If you can't work it out from there, sorry, I've already lost the viewer.

Nov 20, 2015 at 01:19 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Made New Website

ricardovaste wrote:
What about when your eyes and imagination are out of focus I like that quote too, thanks for sharing it!

Thank you for your feedback as well!

- Unfortunately the white space on ipad/tablet is part of the design and can't be adjusted (that will change in Jan). For now I'm okay with it as I think viewers know where they need to go.

It just feels out of place is all.

- Do you mean the menu disappears off the page completely? Can I ask which iPad you're on? I've had this same menu on my main site for some years and it is noted that it can be a little erratic with touch screens. It's not something I've experienced too much nor have clients so I've let it be for now.
Can I ask if the menu comes back if you carry on scrolling or using the page? Or does it run away forever? I do have an option to have it respond different to touch screens, but I will report this back.

Thanks again!

To refine my previous comment, as you scroll down the menu disappears when it reaches the top, it remains hidden while the content is in motion(scrolling), it does return at the same point it disappeared as you scroll up, or when you stop scrolling.
3rd? Gen iPad, the first with 128GB. iOS 9.1

Nov 20, 2015 at 02:24 PM
polishbroadcas

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Made New Website

ricardovaste wrote:
Thanks so much for the feedback! Could you share you screen resolution and or device you were viewing on? Particularly with regards to text reading.

I thin the direction is clearer with the main non mobile version. I have many responsive elements but a fully responsive version eg desktop same as mobile won't be out until Jan 16. I was aware of this before creating, just something I wanted to "get done" in a sense whilst I had the time.

Thanks again

Screen resolution 1440x900 (Macbook Air) & 1920x1080 (OnePlus Two phone). I viewed it on both devices. Layout should be adaptive to all screen resolutions.

As for the graphic with the navigation, why duplicate what your main nav is doing? Use that as an enticement into those section either with some copy about what is in there and some imagery to indicate what the section is—what you currently have doesn't add any information for the user. I'd also avoid doing "mystery meat" navigation where you don't know what it is until you roll over it. It's puts a burden on the user and you can't depend on roll over for all devices. TBH, i would make that a simple 4 column area with consistent headlines for each section. The intro with the big hero image and then intro headline is nice, but then the section below that with the navigational images is hard to parse and looks out of place.

Nov 29, 2015 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.