FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Flow into Autumn

LSExplorer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flow into Autumn

We have had our 10 day trip to the Blue Ridge south of Asheville of North Carolina and the Great Smoky Mountains Nation Park during mid to late October. Out first stop was the Cullasaja Gorge near Highlands of western North Carolina where several decent waterfalls are located. It was slightly past the peak colors when we arrived there but still good enough for great photos. Although it was our first time to be there, we could immediately tell upon arrival that it would be a very photogenic place to produce great images for us.

After spent about 1 hour photographing Dry Falls, we descended into the steep creek somewhere downstream for some intimate photo opportunities. All was so pleasant and refreshing to be at the bottom of the Gorge with brilliant Fall colors, running step-wise cascades, and the tranquility and solitude we had to ourselves. Normally we take stream/creek photos in upstream direction, this time we shot the subject downstream to best reflect our interpretation of "flow into Fall" at the scene. Hope you enjoy!

Again C & C's are welcome and appreciated!

Flow into Autumn

Edited on Nov 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flow into Autumn

That is a very cool scene, and looks you still had some nice fall colors. I would darken the lower right rock area a bit as it's brighter then the rest of the scene and is drawing the eye away.

Jim

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:39 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flow into Autumn

Love the scene . love the colors , great composition this is the kind of place that we never forget and stay's in our mind a long time .

Thanks for sharing

Francois

Nov 19, 2015 at 02:35 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flow into Autumn

Very well done scene.
I bet a little brookie is in front of the big rock.

David

Nov 19, 2015 at 03:04 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flow into Autumn

Thanks you Jim, Francois, and David for your kind words.

I agreed that the lower right rock should be darkened a bit.

Nov 19, 2015 at 03:46 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flow into Autumn

I love the combination of the color in the trees, the water and the rocks. I wish you could see further downstream. My eye is drawn in to the image by the water and then led to the abrupt horizon line that leaves me wanting more.

Heron

Nov 20, 2015 at 01:34 AM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flow into Autumn

Sweet colors and light!

aF

Nov 20, 2015 at 05:37 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flow into Autumn

That part of NC is perfect for fall color and water falls...you did a great job with this one, I like the downstream approach, great color and glow in those trees! This is the first year I have not shot fall color here in the SE...and I feel like I missed out on a great year for it. Thanks for sharing it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 07:06 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flow into Autumn

Sweet capture of a lovely scene.

Bob

Nov 20, 2015 at 09:52 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flow into Autumn

I love the color and composition. I would be more willing to darken the background forest trees plus that whitish line from the middle rock to the tree branch (this whitish line may need to be taken away), leaving the lower right rock area as it is. I love the details on that rock. This rock and the bright fall color from the upper left are communication each other pleasantly. You will have diagonal direction with very lovely flow of water. Well.. that is my opinion and choice !

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM
Doug Sherman
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flow into Autumn

This is a great composition with wonderful color. I am not concerned with the lighter rock on the lower right but am concerned with the darker areas. I would try lightening them up in Lightroom with the shadows slider or maybe shadows and highlights in Photoshop. It's a nine now and I think that would make it a ten.

Doug

Nov 20, 2015 at 01:20 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flow into Autumn

I like this one a lot. I was there Oct 19 and was tempted to try and get a shot of the falls by descending into the canyon but chickened out since it was the first day of my 12 day stay and I did not want to have a wet camera or broken bone so early in the trip. Was it easy to get around once you got down to the stream?

Very well processed image. I agree with burning the lower right rock as others have said but otherwise this one is superb!

Nov 20, 2015 at 07:54 PM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flow into Autumn

Love this in every way. The colors, the forest dappled light. The downstream flow into the forest makes me think of inevitability, that of a season, passing away, but also of hope, that the cycle will repeat itself ... and again ...

santiago

Nov 22, 2015 at 05:24 AM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flow into Autumn

Thank you all for your kind words and comments. I really appreciated!

Have a blessed Thanksgivings!

Nov 23, 2015 at 09:54 AM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flow into Autumn

LSExplorer wrote:
Thank you all for your kind words and comments. Really appreciated!

Have a blessed Thanksgivings!

Nov 23, 2015 at 09:55 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flow into Autumn

Already posted how much I like this image - how did you do the nice border?

Thanks

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Flow into Autumn

uintaangler wrote:
Already posted how much I like this image - how did you do the nice border?

Thanks

Thanks.

When you attach an image in this FM forum, you have an option to select one of various styles for border in a pull-down combo if you want to add one.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Flow into Autumn

I didn't realize it was one of the FM borders - my bad

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:10 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Flow into Autumn

This is a beauty! Very nicely captured.
I live near this place and didn't get an opportunity to get out and shoot much this fall thanks to all the rain we had.

Dave

Nov 23, 2015 at 03:03 PM
LSExplorer
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Flow into Autumn

lighthound wrote:
This is a beauty! Very nicely captured.
I live near this place and didn't get an opportunity to get out and shoot much this fall thanks to all the rain we had.

Dave

Hard to image you live near that place with no visit haha.

Nov 23, 2015 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.