Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs Ona Bowery vs Billingham Hadley Small

h2odog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs Ona Bowery vs Billingham Hadley Small

I need a small comfortable to carry and easy in and out for my Fuji X-Pro1 with a lens attached and two other lenses.
I would like some pockets as well to store accessories. Considering the above bags. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Nov 18, 2015 at 01:06 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs Ona Bowery vs Billingham Hadley Small

The ona is the best bag I have ever bought.
It has become my carry-on on flights and my go to bag for everything.

Usually, I carry one of the following kits:
A7+FE 28-85+yongnuo 560 flash+canon FD 50 1.4 w/adapter
Or...Fuji X-E1+18-55+yongnuo 560 flash+Oly OM 50 1.4 w/adapter
Or...Microsoft surface pro+charger+mouse+pana LX-3.

I have the canvas one but in hindsight would have spent the almost double for the leather-it's waterproof and gorgeous.

Nov 18, 2015 at 01:47 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs Ona Bowery vs Billingham Hadley Small

I owned two of those bags--R5 and Billingham Hadley Small. Both are nice bags: R5 has a rustic ammo bag vibe while the Billingham looks like an upscale gentleman's fishing bag. Style aside, I Ioved working out of the R5--pockets galore--but hated carrying it: too heavy for a tiny bag, the thin strap bit into my shoulder like an angry dog but didn't slide well and the velcro sounded like a seal bark. It played well with my Oly E-P5 kit but defeated the reason I bought a small kit.

The Billingham is a simpler and lighter bag with no internal pockets and nice big front pockets with snaps. It's a little larger than the R5 and is equally at home carrying mirror less or a small DSLR. It's more comfy to carry than the R5, i.e., lighter and uses a leather hole 'n brass knob rather than loud velcro. I still use it to carry my EOS SL1 kit (ditched mirrorless but kept the bag). The only gotcha is it lacks a shoulder pad and handle. Billingham pads are too grippy for me--wear my bags sling style and they need to quickly slide--so I installed a Timbuk2 custom pad. Extremely comfortable and I can carry it all day.

Edited on Nov 18, 2015 at 04:29 PM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2015 at 03:58 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Think Tank Retrospective 5 vs Ona Bowery vs Billingham Hadley Small

I've only used a Billingham, and in my case the Hadley Pro. I bought it almost on a whim during a layover in Heathrow, but having read about them in the past. It's my go to daily bag, whether I'm carrying camera gear or just a bag for work with a water bottle, snacks, headphones, etc.

It accomodates, for example, a Sony A7 with 16-35 mounted, 55/1.8, and a CV 35/1.2 with ease, and you could carry a mirrorless body with four lenses, two stacked on each side with the included dividers, if the lenses are of the smaller variety. It has just enough room for my 13" rMBP in a sleeve set between the back side of the insert and the bag. The front pockets can hold more than you'd think. I rarely use the rear zip pocket. The bag itself is very light for its size compared to competitors.

Great to work out of with their leather strap and brass knob closure system. When I'm shooting I leave them unfastened. You can fold the flap all the way back over the back side if you want instant access to lenses for swaps. I cannot overstate the value of the top handle, which is well integrated into the top of the bag. Way easier to pick up and hold while getting the shoulder strap all set. The strap itself, which doesn't go all the way around the bottom of the bag, is at least reinforced at its attachment sites to the bag with leather.

I wouldn't take this out in the rain on purpose, but mine has been fine in some light rain. The lid design makes it such that water won't flow into the bag, and the canvas will just swell up when wet to keep significant water from penetrating. In combination with the insert, your gear will be fine.

All three are fine bag options, just have to pick the style that works best for you. But if you go with a Hadley, I'd recommend checking out some YouTube videos and think about the slightly larger Pro.

Nov 18, 2015 at 09:39 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.