New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

I am intermittently having trouble getting my 1DX to preview shots. I push the preview button over and over and nothing will happen. Finally, it will just start working. Before it finally responds, the screen just remains black. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions and has anyone else seen this before? I even went to page 245 in the manual to ensure that I wasn't doing something wrong. I am guessing I am going to have to just call and send it in.

Thanks for any thoughts, help or advice.

Kathy

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Sounds kind of wonky. I'd send it in. Maybe send an email first, to see if it's a recognized behaviour, but something's not right.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:23 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Thanks Jim. Who would I email? I'll look at the Canon site. I googled it and found one other person saying something similar but not exactly the same.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

That's not normal. You can start a repair online. Do try a reset and firmware update first.

EBH

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:20 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

EB-1 wrote:
That's not normal. You can start a repair online. Do try a reset and firmware update first.

EBH

Good idea. I'll try that tomorrow.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:37 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Mine has done that before, but only maybe twice. Current firmware, yadda yadda yadda (watched Seinfeld tonight)...

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:37 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Jeff wrote:
Mine has done that before, but only maybe twice. Current firmware, yadda yadda yadda (watched Seinfeld tonight)...

Yes mine has done it some every time i've used it. I didn't really start to worry until tonight when it did it alot . Upgrading firmware right now. Fingers are crossed.

Nov 18, 2015 at 01:04 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Firmware is updated, and so far so good. I have pushed it numerous times and it has responded immediately every time. I don't think it needed the update to actually correct it, I think probably a reset would have done it too, but might as well do it all at once. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll update again in a couple of days with whether it's still good or not. It's always nice to know those wonky things that can happen and what remedied it. Thanks EB-1. I usually do a reset when things go nuts, but I've been super busy and sick with a cold and just turned the brain off I guess.

Nov 18, 2015 at 01:16 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

First rule in computers, if wonky, re-boot! Hope you get feeling better soon Kathy!

Nov 18, 2015 at 09:32 AM
jaylee73
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

I have had this issue on a few 1dx's and at least one 5d3. It would happen very intermittently and I could never reproduce it at will. My quick fix has been turning the camera off and back on. I really never got to the bottom of why this happens. I’ve also seen this very intermittently with the menu button, where the screen remained black after pressing the button. Switching the camera off then on got it working again. My quick fix (on/off) would likely not be acceptable to some users though. I do expect others have experienced this and am curious if they ever got to the bottom of it.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Sometimes mine does this, but then I notice I have inadvertently pressed the shutter button or back af button. For example, I may press the playback button with my left thumb and it does not work, but then I notice the shutter button is being half-depressed against my leg, my right trigger finger or some other object is engaging the shutter or af button. Also, sometimes my handstrap will engage one of the buttons accidentally if I rest the camera the wrong way.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Unfortunately the 1Dx suffered from some bad PC board assemblies that continue to plague certain units. My first one a few months ago had it; its replacement has been much better, though as stated I have suffered this playback problem. Didn't occur enough to warrant sending it in to 'fix' it (term used loosely).

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

I haven't shot it today, but I have it laying on the dining room table and everytime I walk thru I press the preview button. So far it has worked every time. Just a note, last night it was not responding about 75 percent of the time or more, and when it failed which was most of the time I could press the button 50 times and nothing. I also powered it off and on and did get it to come on but then it failed again right after. So something odd was going on. I wasn't pushing anything else, or doing anything but pushing the button. Well, I did manage to break my thumb nail and curse a little from all the repeated pushing. I was shooting a music program that lasted just an hour and each song was just 2 or 3 minutes so it was causing some chaos. I couldn't see if I actually had gotten the shot I wanted. Funny now to remember the days you actually had to WAIT to see if you got the shot and you only had 24 or 36 shots to a roll. Now we hold down and get 15 at once and think nothing of shooting 600 shots. I just love technology.

Nov 18, 2015 at 03:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Kathy White wrote:
... Funny now to remember the days you actually had to WAIT to see if you got the shot and you only had 24 or 36 shots to a roll. Now we hold down and get 15 at once and think nothing of shooting 600 shots. I just love technology.

I remember that. I really liked the feeling I got when I looked at a 6x9 transparency and thought, "nailed it".

Nov 18, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

schlotz wrote:
First rule in computers, if wonky, re-boot! Hope you get feeling better soon Kathy!

Thank you sooo much. I am almost NEVER sick so not enjoying this cold. Yes, I should have been smarter in the first place and done a reset last night but I would have had to wait until after I was done.

I've had crazy things happen with several of my cameras over the years that a reset took care of. It is usually the first thing I think of.

Nov 18, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

every so often my 1DX doesn't display the preview and I find I have to press the shutter button 1/2 way to maybe wake it up.
Not saying that is correct, but it does happen to me every once in a while (as in yesterday even).
Possibly I have an extra button pressed as one guy above has said.
Sorry, I know this doesn't solve the problem.

Nov 18, 2015 at 03:15 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

jcolwell wrote:
I remember that. I really liked the feeling I got when I looked at a 6x9 transparency and thought, "nailed it".

I am afraid my response was usually "darn" or something similar

Nov 18, 2015 at 03:24 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

Kenneth Farver wrote:
every so often my 1DX doesn't display the preview and I find I have to press the shutter button 1/2 way to maybe wake it up.
Not saying that is correct, but it does happen to me every once in a while (as in yesterday even).
Possibly I have an extra button pressed as one guy above has said.
Sorry, I know this doesn't solve the problem.

I think I got that to work once or twice. I was trying everything.

Nov 18, 2015 at 03:25 PM
lite25e
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

I'm having the same problem with unresponsiveness of the preview button. Sometimes, it wouldn't work most of the time. I'm almost always using an Eye-Fi card in a CF adapter, so I've been wondering if that is the problem. You're not using a similar setup, are you?

I had neglected to upgrade to the most recent firmware, b/c I didn't think the improvements were anything I needed, but I just upgraded. Please post if you figure out whether the problem is fixable or requires sending it in.

- Dan

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:56 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1dx preview button sometimes unresponsive

I've had it happen to me sporadically over the past few years usually on hot humid days although it has also happened in cooler conditions when shooting a stage production. However i also pull the battery and it comes back on sometimes to repeat itself and other times it doesn't happen again for months. I'm waiting for the new "X" to be announced and when and if i purchase it i will give this one to Canon to check out. A few weeks ago i brought my camera to the Javits center in NY to have CPS clean and check it ( although i usually do it myself ) and something unusual happened. As i handed the camera over to the person behind the desk another fellow behind the desk who i assume was the lead tech asked him to pass the camera over to him. I didn't know why, and saw him take out a penlight and the first thing he did was to look into the mirror box. I figured "here we go". After looking all around in the mirror box for a couple of minutes he then passed the camera to another tech and saw them have a conversation regarding the camera. Getting a little nervous i decided to walk over and ask him what up. He stated that the hook inside the camera that holds the mirror up is extremely worn and that i should either leave it with him to take back to whatever facility he came from or to send it into one of the repair facilities for replacement of the mirror box. He stated that if i was having a problem with out of focus shots during a burst of shots or out of focus shots in general it was caused by this wear. I also asked him if this was covered under the mirror box recall due to improper lubrication and he stated yes there would be no charge. So now i'm waiting for the new body to appear since i shoot a lot of action and don't want to let the camera go until i have a replacement body i can use for action shots. I also have the 1DsMIII which i used last weekend at the Conowingo Dam to shoot eagles along with my 1Dx, but after being away from it a while i couldn't believe how fast the buffer filled up and how noisy the shutter was verses the X. I guess if it fails in the meantime i'll be forced to take it in but for now I'll wait. At this point it has 175,000 on it. I also know i can get a loner from Canon so i'll see what happens.

Nov 24, 2015 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.