New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Question about Photoshop selections

jbush
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about Photoshop selections

Does anyone here know the quickest way for making selections in PS on somewhat intricate objects to separate them from the background? Or could you point me to any tutorials for helping with this? I'm trying to help my daughter who is less familiar with Photoshop than I am and she's trying to "lift" these earrings off the background and place them on a clean white background.

I've tried the quick selection and magic wand tools, but even after adjusting tolerances, it doesn't seem like there's any easy way to do this. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Jon

(Please don't share this image beyond this thread as this is a new earring design of hers and she's trying to put a catalog together...thanks!)

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:50 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about Photoshop selections

howardm4 wrote:
what I did:

pull the image into ACR, tweak it to bump contrast, highlights etc

in PS, do a color range select on the background, invert it and then new layer by copy. In reality, you can tweak the left earring only and then lasso copy/paste to
duplicate it.

About a minute or two and yea, it could definitely be better. Metals are a pain.

Thanks very much...I'll give this a try. I appreciate the quick and detailed response.

Regards,
Jon

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:24 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about Photoshop selections

remember that w/ color range select, you can use the shift key to add to the selection or alt/option to remove.

you might be better off putting them on white plexi or something w/ some bottom illumination to reduce those shadows from side lighting or some on-axis fill or hang them in front of the white background etc etc

good luck. cool looking earrings.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:38 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about Photoshop selections

howardm4 wrote:
remember that w/ color range select, you can use the shift key to add to the selection or alt/option to remove.

you might be better off putting them on white plexi or something w/ some bottom illumination to reduce those shadows from side lighting or some on-axis fill or hang them in front of the white background etc etc

good luck. cool looking earrings.

Thanks again...I'm trying that right now (with shift/option to add and subtract)...we're getting there. And I stand corrected, this particular pair was designed by her co-worker. They are both trying to launch a new brand that should all be ready by January. Unfortunately their deadline for a catalog is approaching quickly and they have no time to re-shoot...but I'll pass along the suggestion on shooting them with different backgrounds or lighting.

Jon

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about Photoshop selections

Unfortunately, none or the automatic or semi-automatic selection tools will do a good job on something like this. The example given above adding contrast etc, loses the edges and would not be acceptable in my world. Even reshooting on a backlit plex won't solve the problem either. Having done thousands of similar images over the last twenty years of Photoshop (for me) the most effective method is to use the Pen Tool and draw a Path around the object, make the appropriate selection, float that to a new layer then fill a layer just below with white. Then you can put a layer mask on the white layer and mask out just enough to retain the real shadow if desired. If you're good at making Paths, each one of those would take about two minutes to make a perfect selection, but you could just as easily do one and dupe it, saving have the work.

Nov 17, 2015 at 03:33 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about Photoshop selections

I'm sure Peter is right as he's been doing this forever but in my defense I think if/when the image is scaled down to publication size, it's not going to matter that much (and the contrast, etc stuff was just to help the selection process). And the fact that I suck at Pen Tool

Nov 17, 2015 at 07:33 AM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about Photoshop selections

Thanks Peter and Howard...I've definitely got a Pen Tool aversion and it's due only to the fact that I have not taken the time to learn it. I was looking at a tutorial on YouTube late last night and feel inspired to conquer that demon! Thanks for taking the time to respond with these recommendations, it's much appreciated and we're making progress.
Jon

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about Photoshop selections

Once you learn the best way to use the Pen Tool, it's really pretty easy. The best tips I can give is to learn all of the keyboard shortcuts that apply - mostly Cmd(Ctrl), and Option. I rarely if ever use the Wacom when drawing paths. It's not accurate enough, and when you're pulling the handles to make the curves, it's just plain awkward. I use a mouse in my right hand and use my left for the modifier keys. I also zoomed in to at least 200 percent view and often times more.

Not only can you save the path, but you can combine two paths, make selections, subtract or add selections from other paths, but also Free Transform Paths as well, and, you can even use the Transform Again command on the Path if you've just applied a transform to the entire image - to apply that transform to the Path as well. And, if you're like me, and have a bunch of Paths, you can repeat that Transform Again on all the Paths you have.

On a typical retouching job, I'll have fifteen to twenty Paths for various parts of the image. Not the appropriate tool for hair or semi-transparent selections though.

Nov 17, 2015 at 01:02 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about Photoshop selections

Thanks very much Peter...excellent advice. I'm not too surprised at the recommendation about the Wacom tablet not being ideal, as I often use the same combination as you state (mouse in the right hand, with left-hand fingers hitting the shift, option, command keys and spacebar) for modifications and navigation. I'll be practicing...

Jon

Nov 17, 2015 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.