FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              25       26       end

Archive 2015 · My 7DII is still a headache

Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · My 7DII is still a headache

I member at POTN has sent his in to TO for the 4th time.

Send it to New Jersey. Canon USA does not give Canadians a shipping label when on warranty. Send by ground. I use UPS and insure it. At least you can insure it, unlike Purolator that Canon CPS uses that won't insure used gear. Way to go TO. Great choice. When I was a member I threw out their labels and shipped on my own dime. You will need an American return address. I use a parcel service just over the border. I can email you the service PDF form and tell you how I fill it out. Don't even mention Canada in any way because it just confuses the heck out of them. Keep all correspondence including the shipping company and take it with the original bill of sale when you go to pick it up. As a non CPS member you will get it back in less than 10 days after they receive it.

Nov 29, 2015 at 01:29 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · My 7DII is still a headache

Zenon Char wrote:
You also lose all the awesome AF options on the 7D2 when you put the TC on. I have yet to try my 5D3 for birding.

Those same Af point switching tracking options are lost on the 5diii too at f8, aren't they?

Nov 29, 2015 at 01:37 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · My 7DII is still a headache

Yes but zone AF is more wicked and fun on the 7D2

Nov 29, 2015 at 01:48 PM
Phazed
• •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · My 7DII is still a headache

My experience with the 7D2 is that I sent it back 3 times and received it back in basically the same non-acceptable condition. I sent it back a fourth time requesting a new body, Canon obliged and sent me a new body that worked flawlessly out of the box. The 1DX I purchased this past summer worked out of the box.
I generally have a 100-400 II mounted on the 7D2 when I go afield and a 400/4 DO II on the 1DX. With several thousand shutter activations on both setups I have been very satisfied with the results.

Nov 29, 2015 at 02:40 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · My 7DII is still a headache

I would have to say that in that case the Canon Service Center gets an F for failing to fix the camera and Canon manufacturing gets an F in QC. I love Canon gear but this is not one of their finer moments for a product.

Nov 29, 2015 at 03:01 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · My 7DII is still a headache

Anyone up for filing a class action lawsuit?

Nov 30, 2015 at 03:01 AM
Woodardib

[X]
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · My 7DII is still a headache

As a last resort before sending the body to service try the HARD RESET procedure. Remove the main and the clock battery, wait for a while, turn on the camera and reset settings from the menu.

Nov 30, 2015 at 07:09 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · My 7DII is still a headache

thebmrust wrote:
Anyone up for filing a class action lawsuit?

I feel that would be hard in my case as I can not identify the 7DMkII autofocus specifications which my camera doesn't meet, because we have no access to any camera specifications related to AF performance except the light sensitivity range of the AF system, where the lower limit is (-3 EV).
I suppose, with some trouble I could verify if that particular spec is real. Even then, the spec does not say if there should be any AF performance degradation at (-3 EV), and if so, what would that be ?

Intermittent camera problems and problems related to AF effectiveness are difficult to deal with. If I had a problem with Single shot AF, then that would be much easier to address.

Nov 30, 2015 at 08:04 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · My 7DII is still a headache

PetKal wrote:
I feel that would be hard in my case as I can not identify the 7DMkII autofocus specifications which my camera doesn't meet, because we have no access to any camera specifications related to AF performance except the light sensitivity range of the AF system, where the lower limit is (-3 EV).
I suppose, with some trouble I could verify if that particular spec is real. Even then, the spec does not say if there should be any AF performance degradation at (-3 EV), and if so, what would that be ?

Intermittent camera problems and problems related to AF effectiveness are
...Show more

It would have to be at the 1D3 level. IMO the design is sound and it looks like there may have been some manufacturing hiccups but that is just speculation. No manufacturer will ever admit to hiccups unless they have no choice or it threatens a persons safety. Sometimes they ignore the safety thing as well.

This would almost be impossible and any lawyer would lose his/her shirt trying to prove they had a bad day on the line. Canon is big and can ride it out forever. We would be on the Mark VII and it would still be in court. We need Erin Brockovich

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:11 AM
JBlaze725

p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · My 7DII is still a headache

Mine gives me issues as well. Granted I'm not at the experience level of any of you here but even in instances where I know shots should be sharp and there was no user error I don't get very good results. Just the other day we went out to view the building of the New New York Bridge and I shot some seagulls while there. I only have a 70-200 but they were flying very close so I didn't have to crop ridiculous amounts like usual and they are pretty big and slow so tracking was easy. Only really got 1 decent shot and even that wasn't ridiculously sharp just better than the rest. I used Case 1, 1/1250 or 1/1600, auto iso (there was enough light that the shots typically ended up between 160-320), ai servo, large zone af. I have it set to show which af spots were used in the shot and it was typically choosing the right spots but they were still blurry. Even in sequences some of the shots would be almost the same exact shot since I was shooting in high speed continuous but sequential shots would have huge amounts of difference in their sharpness with some disgustingly blurry. My camera had gone into Canon twice with the last time them requesting my lens as well with no real luck. Both times they said they made electrical adjustments to the af system to adjust for inconsistencies but its still pretty inconsistent. Sad because I love the feel of the camera and the controls and usability. If it would get the quality it was supposed to I would be set.

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:31 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · My 7DII is still a headache

PetKal wrote:
That is exactly the thing that came as a surprise to me: I was expecting better results with 300 f/2.8 IS MkII on those head-on pijuns in flight. However, there was really no AF performance difference between 300 II and slower lenses such as 400 f/4 DO II and 100-400 II. That would suggest to me that the target/motion I was shooting was so much beyond my 7DMkII AF capability that it really didn't matter how fast the lens was.......the camera's AF just couldn't do any of it.

The only issue I've seen with the 7D2 concerns the 300f2.8. The AF was very "jumpy" compared to other lenses when using the 300 bare. With a TC on, it performed very well.

Nov 30, 2015 at 06:41 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · My 7DII is still a headache

So far I have used the 7D2 with the 100-400mk2, 70-200 IS II (with/without 1.4x), and the 300 IS II and the AF is all very similar with them. Single point and single expansion is inconsistent, wide modes are better but only in comparison to single point performance. The 1DX on these lenses is working fine.

After spending money on a refurbished 300 and a 200 my budget is shot for a while so I'm stuck with it. My hope is that after having sent it in enough that Canon will replace it like with Phazed.

Nov 30, 2015 at 06:59 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · My 7DII is still a headache

PetKal wrote:
"If I had a problem with Single shot AF, then that would be much easier to address."

It is easy. I accumulated an overwhelming evidence of the problem.

Here's what my pal Zander thinks:
http://web.ncf.ca/fm568/BS.jpg

Dec 01, 2015 at 09:42 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · My 7DII is still a headache

Lan11 wrote:
PetKal wrote:
"If I had a problem with Single shot AF, then that would be much easier to address."

It is easy. I accumulated an overwhelming evidence of the problem.

Here's what my pal Zander thinks:
http://web.ncf.ca/fm568/BS.jpg

Subject motion is the problem in that image.

Dec 01, 2015 at 10:52 AM
Lan11
[X]
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · My 7DII is still a headache

Iwas joeking, this is NOT an illustration of the problem.
This is “What my pal thinks”, taken with a properly focusing camera.
Got it now? Good!

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · My 7DII is still a headache

Lan11 wrote:
Iwas joeking, this is NOT an illustration of the problem.
This is “What my pal thinks”, taken with a properly focusing camera.
Got it now? Good!

Sorry, never heard the expression, "BS on stilts" before.

Dec 01, 2015 at 12:10 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · My 7DII is still a headache

If my work revolved around non-moving subjects the 7D2 would be quite good actually. It's low light, low contrast AF lock on is better then my 1DX. Problem is, that's not why I bought a 10FPS camera body.

Dec 01, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · My 7DII is still a headache

Iwas joeking, don’t worry. My Grandma used to say: “We learn all our lives and die stupid”.

Dec 01, 2015 at 03:56 PM
8612i
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · My 7DII is still a headache

Where do you access the "clock" battery on the 7d2?

Dec 01, 2015 at 06:28 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · My 7DII is still a headache

8612i wrote:
Where do you access the "clock" battery on the 7d2?

There is no ( clock battery ) like the older model , they are internal capacitor's inside the camera that get charged via the LP-e6n , if the internal capacitor's go bad then it must be serviced by Canon ....

as for a reset of the camera there must be a trick that only a Canon Tech knows about .

Francois

Dec 01, 2015 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.