Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · Wotans Crescendo

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wotans Crescendo

Congratulations to Mark Metternich for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

Knocked down by an indirect strike of lightening, I kept shooting one of the greatest displays of light I have seen in 13 years of doing landscape full time. Full story below the image.

Sony A7r
Canon 11-24@11mm
200 ISO
F/8
1/60th
Lightning Trigger

Thank you for looking.

Cant wait to make a 60 x 90 Lumachrome print of this!

Edited on Nov 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wotans Crescendo

After over 300 days shooting in the last 12 months, and 5 straight months living in my rig (homeless by choice) I finally have a cabin in the SW to start buckling down on much needed post processing and business. Honestly, after such an amazing year having a place is well appreciated. Here is the story behind the photo:

After finishing one of my SW workshops in whom excellent professional photographer Kevin McNeal attended, Kevin and I decided to continue the chase for dramatic light. Sitting at McDonalds in Kanab Utah, a violent thunderstorm and torrential downpour struck hard. We quickly checked all our weather apps and Kevin turned to me and said, “It’s going to go over the North Rim dude!” Without hesitation, I said “Lets go!”

We made the North Rim quicker than may be legal, with lightning striking the whole way there. Thinking this was “it” we jumped out at the first turn out and started shooting like crazy. In just minutes we captured tens of lighting strikes (not even using the Lightning Trigger yet). After some time I started realizing that this was in fact, not “it” and the storm was actually building and getting more incredible with every passing minute. We both took off to another pullover and continued with the same amazing results.

Finally, after literally hours of shooting at various pull over locations, I decided to make a mad dash to Wotans Throne, my favorite location on the Grand Canyon. As I got there I could not believe what I was witnessing! Rainbows, Mammatus clouds, God rays, fog rolling into the canyon, lightning striking non stop about every 30 seconds, was all building into a monumental crescendo.

In an adrenalized panic I grabbed my Sony A7r, Canon 11-24 and tripod and ran to my favorite spot. Suddenly, before I knew what had happened, I was on the ground literally hit by an indirect bolt of lightening. It happened so fast I did not know what had happened. Although not injured, I was disoriented and terrified for a minute or two. I even got shocked. I ran under a tree and then said to myself, “Mark this is NOT safe at all!” So, I climbed down about 10 feet off the cliff and hid in a small cave / alcove for several minutes to get my head together. Finally, I said to myself “can you really NOT shoot that?” So, I ran out and began the process of photographing again. Every time I would start hearing a loud ringing/buzzing in my ears, or the small tree next to me start buzzing loudly, I would run back into the cave. I decided to ditch the tripod for safety and shoot hand held. I also popped the Lightening Trigger (almost never misses) on and it began shooting constantly.

Kevin showed up directly above me and we laughed the yelled out in excitement as the sun began to set and the scene went ballistic. There were 4 Japanese girls taking photos with their “point and shoots” and every time the lightening would strike, we would all laugh and yell out in applause. I have been photographing Landscape full time for over 13 years now and this was definitely the most amazing shoot yet.

A YouTube video of the scene can be seen on my page there...

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wotans Crescendo

Mark, an amazing shot w/lots going on.
Glad you're here to tell about it.
I would have stayed in the cave

Thanks for posting.

Dan

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:56 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wotans Crescendo

Amazing dude. The adventure is what drives me everyday. Thank you for sharing the shot and the cool story. Its motivating.

Nov 16, 2015 at 01:30 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wotans Crescendo

Incredible photo and story!

Nov 16, 2015 at 01:36 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wotans Crescendo

where is the unicorn...and can you get the rabbits foot out of your backside...

That is one surreal image with so much going on...crazy.

Nov 16, 2015 at 02:48 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wotans Crescendo

Your image is amazing and beautiful! Please be safe. We would like to enjoy your work for years to come.
Keith W.

Nov 16, 2015 at 03:05 PM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wotans Crescendo

Mark - Great image and story - although I am a bit concerned with your complete lack of regard for your own safety. I mean, seriously, McDonalds?

Nov 16, 2015 at 03:35 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wotans Crescendo

Excellent image Mark, one of your best for sure. Voted!

Nov 16, 2015 at 04:08 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wotans Crescendo

That is a true beauty, Mark.

Nov 16, 2015 at 04:10 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wotans Crescendo

A stunning image with incredible DR

Nov 16, 2015 at 05:01 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wotans Crescendo

Hey Mark,

That is one very cool shot, wonderful light and color in it.

But as far as fools luck goes, I would truly caution you to be a little more careful around lightning, way too many people are killed by lightning each year. And while beautiful photos are awesome, there is not a single photo that would be so awesome that it would be worth you dying for. Lightning is incredible and beautiful, but it should be safely photographed. What if that had happened during an actual workshop and one of your students was struck and killed? Be careful out there!

Jim

Nov 16, 2015 at 05:07 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wotans Crescendo

I don't even know what to say. Breathtaking image.

Nov 16, 2015 at 05:47 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wotans Crescendo

Awesome! Great Story! Voted!

Nov 16, 2015 at 06:04 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wotans Crescendo

Amazing stuff!

Jack

Nov 16, 2015 at 06:46 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wotans Crescendo

Amazing, beautiful, just f-ing awesome. You told me about this shot a White Pocket and getting hit by the lightning. I tried to imagine how beautiful it was but I couldn't even come close to seeing in my mind's eye how this really was. Once in a lifetime shot my friend and happy you were able to capture it!
Rock on and be safe out there!

Nov 16, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wotans Crescendo

Got my vote hands down too!

Nov 16, 2015 at 06:57 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wotans Crescendo

Stellar work. You have my vote.

Nov 16, 2015 at 07:19 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wotans Crescendo

Fantastic shot in the true sense of the word!

Nov 16, 2015 at 07:24 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wotans Crescendo

Glad you came through without injury Mark, the image is fantastic!

Mike

Nov 16, 2015 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.