New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Adam_A
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Congratulations to Adam_A for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

I had a contest in which a random winner would receive an underwater portrait sessions; and Desirae, won. Although a complete novice in the water, I thought she did extremely well...better than most people IMO. Here are some of the images, all taken with a 5dmkiii and a 17-40 mm f/4 lens housed in an Ikelite underwater unit. I hope people like them.

Adam

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5635/21929923276_c90611cd34_o.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5831/22018954220_9e1f54c43f_o.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/583/22353772826_2c0b5a962c_o.jpg

4. This was supposed to be themed for Think Pink....
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5674/22357188921_717e98080c_o.jpg

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:03 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Here a quick under-the-scenes shot....

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5635/22019255278_b859e0bbc2_o.jpg

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:04 AM
wconley

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Beautiful!

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:47 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

super cool stuff

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:49 AM
MJRobinson

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Awesome stuff. #4 is the standout to me, although, TBH the shopped roses aren't my thing, but I get why you did it. The pose and expression are perfection. I love the light and the colors and your processing on the whole.

The bubble coming out of her nose in #2 bugs me, lol. That must be a PITA, when bubbles get in the way! Does that happen very often, where bubble just totally ruin a shot for you that you otherwise like?

The expression in #1 kind of kills it for me. That has to be so tough for the models.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

wconley wrote:
Beautiful!

Thanks wconley!

Adam

Nov 16, 2015 at 01:06 PM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Vcook wrote:
super cool stuff

Thanks Vcook.

Adam

Nov 16, 2015 at 01:06 PM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

MJRobinson wrote:
Awesome stuff. #4 is the standout to me, although, TBH the shopped roses aren't my thing, but I get why you did it. The pose and expression are perfection. I love the light and the colors and your processing on the whole.

The bubble coming out of her nose in #2 bugs me, lol. That must be a PITA, when bubbles get in the way! Does that happen very often, where bubble just totally ruin a shot for you that you otherwise like?

The expression in #1 kind of kills it for me. That has to be so tough for the models.
...Show more

Thanks....the pink is just to have something a little different. And yes, bubbles can definitely ruin a shot...I try to instruct the models against them but sometimes it's impossible. And I've become proficient in cloning them out as well as actually 'painting' back in parts of the face that have had to be removed....which is time-consuming and painful btw.

Adam

Nov 16, 2015 at 01:09 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

nothing to say other than perfect

Nov 16, 2015 at 02:21 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Beautiful work, as always! 2 and 4 stand out especially for me.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Really really love these. Any recommendations for a first try at this? I'm nervous to get a housing for my 5d3 for a first try, but my only other option is a gopro, hah.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:51 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Uzay wrote:
nothing to say other than perfect

Wow, thanks Uzay!

Adam

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Beautiful work, as always! 2 and 4 stand out especially for me.

Thanks sincerely Squirrely Eyed!

Adam

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

thebeginning wrote:
Really really love these. Any recommendations for a first try at this? I'm nervous to get a housing for my 5d3 for a first try, but my only other option is a gopro, hah.

I will give you some thoughts. First of all, I don't think a Gopro will suffice. Preferably, your housing unit will enable you to fire external strobes. There's a unit that gives you the option of connecting to an external Pocket Wizard, which would be extremely convenient. Can't remember which one though. Ikelite doesn't offer that, but I like Ikelite for its transparency.

Regarding lighting, I'd start simple, with natural light, which there's nothing wrong with. But it can be limiting. Eventually, you can add one, two, or more strobes, and start using colored gels, etc, for more creative shooting. Strobes offer you more dynamic lighting options, smaller apertures, improved color and control, and sometimes faster shutter speeds. You can also place stands in the water.

Photoshop is important, too, particularly for cloning out underwater stands as well as the tiles along the pool if they show.

Anyway, those are probably the basics. Ultimately, it comes down to the skill-set of the models. Finding the right model can make or break an underwater portrait session.

I hope this helps.

Adam

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM
twnotter
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Thanks for the pics on how you set it up. I was curious about the backdrop and how you were still having decent light.

Any flash?

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:09 AM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Hi -
You do these kinds great - #1 for me - Expression and all -
Paul

Nov 23, 2015 at 09:00 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

twnotter wrote:
Thanks for the pics on how you set it up. I was curious about the backdrop and how you were still having decent light.

Any flash?

Only the black background is a backdrop, as seen the the UTS shot.It was taken with a single light from above. For the rest, I simply used the pool walls, including the composites. The first shot was with natural light, whereas I believe the rest were with flashes, either 1 or 2.

Adam

Nov 23, 2015 at 09:03 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

plsand wrote:
Hi -
You do these kinds great - #1 for me - Expression and all -
Paul

Thanks Paul.

Adam

Nov 23, 2015 at 09:04 AM
Dentx
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

Amazing, I love the processing!

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hooray for Desirae! [4 Imgs]

These are great Adam. I have been following you on Facebook for a while now and really enjoy your work.
A quick question, are you using the pocket wizard to fire off camera flashes, or are you wired to off camera flashes, or both.
I ask because radio signals don't work well under water, and I know you aren't very deep, but it doesn't take much.
Thanks again for your time and great shooting.
It is awesome to see someone think outside the box, or in your case inside the pool!!

Dec 01, 2015 at 09:59 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.