Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need to get rid of glass reflections (or ghosting?) from picture of a pi...

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need to get rid of glass reflections (or ghosting?) from picture of a picture???

I've been scanning old family photos for my family across the country and I have a very large photo that's too large for my scanner. So I hung it up, used my Canon 6D w/ a telephoto lens (70-200mm F/4L lens) and a good polarizer, filter, and tried to capture a good picture of the picture. What I found was that it wasn't so easy!

I used a large dark blanket in front of me to keep my own reflection to a minimum, but there ultimately was some reflections as you will see in the photo below. It almost looks like a ghosting effect or white smoke.

My big questions is, how do I get rid of it so I have a nice clear photo of the people in the photo

Thanks for your help!!!
Bill

Reflections abound! Or is this ghosting? How to get rid of all of this???

Nov 16, 2015 at 02:36 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need to get rid of glass reflections (or ghosting?) from picture of a picture???

Bill,

Reflections can be a challenging issue to contend with, as you know. If you have or have access to the book Light, Science & Magic, there is some good read in there about handling reflections.

A few thoughts are:

See how the "copy" folks do a lighting setup
Make use of blackout / gobo materials to absorb / block extraneous light sources
Change your focal length and shooting distance (see Family of Angles in LSM).
Shoot at a slight tilt (correct in post if needed)

The key is to keep the AI=AR from getting to your lens. Then, for those AI=AR that you are not able to avoid naturally, then you either seek to block or absorb the corresponding light.

Kinda like shooting outside and the sun is flaring ... we put up our hand or hat to block the sunlight from reaching our lens directly, yet our hand is kept out of the image area.

Shooting through a black curtain / wall / cardboard to block for you and the camera can help contend with that which is on axis (inside the family of angles) with the lens as you already have considered. Likewise, a construct of block / absorb from off-axis sources viable.

The short of it is that you have to get your AI=AR such that you aren't pumping the unwanted stuff into your lens. Finding all those little buggers in an uncontrolled setting can be a trick. You may want to construct your own set so you can get the best control (thinking cardboard box & black paint @ simplicity).

HTH

Nov 16, 2015 at 09:25 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need to get rid of glass reflections (or ghosting?) from picture of a picture???

I am surprised that an image this old would be printed on a glossy surface. I use matte paper without glass for my own prints just to avoid reflections.

Other thoughts are for a one off, just have it scanned professionally. Another idea is to scan it in segments then join in photoshop.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:19 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need to get rid of glass reflections (or ghosting?) from picture of a picture???

Did you try conventional copy stand lighting with the sources placed at a 45 degree angle? Google "copy stand lighting" for illustrations.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:57 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need to get rid of glass reflections (or ghosting?) from picture of a picture???

If you look at the skin (especially on the gentleman at far left), it proves the existence of Photoshop back in the 19th century. Great find.

Nov 17, 2015 at 02:41 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need to get rid of glass reflections (or ghosting?) from picture of a picture???

Hey, thanks for your help - I took your advice, especially from RustyBug where I tried different angles. I think I got rid of the ghosting. As you can see below, even though the photo is a bit dark (I'll lighten it up later), I took the photo from a much lower position, almost looking way up at the photo instead of looking straight on at it. Then I used a large sheepskin seat cover from my car (which I haven't used for my car in a while) and used that to block the light from behind me. But I think it was changing the angle of the camera relative to the photo that made the difference.

The photo was in a frame behind glass and the frame was sealed in paper from behind, otherwise, I gladly would have taken the photo out of the frame and taken the photo directly w/o the reflections from the glass. It would have made everything easier. But I didn't want to break the seal either.

Thanks again and I think it solved the problem - you tell me?
BIll

Nov 18, 2015 at 07:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.