New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

ive had my 5dsr since late July and have enjoyed it a lot. recently i encountered the rubbery grip material starting to come unglued from the body. its not something i would want to send in for service (or should i?) as i wouldnt want to be with out the body for a week or 2, but im wondering what sort of adhesive would be best to fix this myself? epoxy? super glue?

here are some pics

http://www.tsbphoto.com/img/s2/v52/p1859220866-5.jpg

http://www.tsbphoto.com/img/s7/v158/p1759844079-5.jpg

Nov 15, 2015 at 03:40 PM
whumber
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

killersnowman wrote:
ive had my 5dsr since late July and have enjoyed it a lot. recently i encountered the rubbery grip material starting to come unglued from the body. its not something i would want to send in for service (or should i?) as i wouldnt want to be with out the body for a week or 2, but im wondering what sort of adhesive would be best to fix this myself? epoxy? super glue?

Definitely send it in, you need special tape pieces to re-attach the grip material properly and this should definitely be covered under warranty. If you have CPS Gold or Platinum, then the turnaround time should be pretty quick.

Nov 15, 2015 at 03:44 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

Dang. That sux. I'd be reticent to try to fix it myself--some adhesives will mess up the rubber or interior parts. Hate to say it, but I'd send it in.

Nov 15, 2015 at 04:01 PM
Snapgrapher

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

Warranty is only good for 1 year so make use of it.

Nov 15, 2015 at 05:34 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

Shoe glue will work

Nov 15, 2015 at 05:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

That is more common with Nikon, but I've not seen it with Canon as much.
I'd send it in for service when you have a chance (sometime within the first year).

EBH

Nov 15, 2015 at 06:19 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

The pieces are self adhesive, and a set is cheap. You can peel off the old one and replace it in 5 minutes. Depending on the piece, there is a double back tape as well. Nothing special required. Call Canon and ask them to send you a new grip cover. They should not charge you since its under warranty.

Nov 16, 2015 at 09:42 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

My 5d3 did it within 6 months. I thought about gluing it, but I was warned not to DIY it. By the time you notice the rubber coming off, It has already stretched and won't go back like "new". It's a cheap fix. I had a local shop install a new set of rubber on my "X" for $40-$50 (out of warranty) even though I'm a platinum CPS member, It was easier to order the part from them, drop the camera off, get lunch and pick it up 2 hrs later. My local repair shop, California Precision Service (yes CPS) said to never try to glue the grips down yourself. They see all kinds of failed repairs using all kinds of glue (super glue is the worst).

Since your's is still under warranty, call and get a shipping label, free fix!

Nov 17, 2015 at 01:21 AM
mstrickland
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

Throw it against the wall. That should fix it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 02:38 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with 5Dsr grip coming off

Has EB-1 been "testing" your camera? ;-)

Dan

(wry reference to another thread that some many understand.)

Nov 20, 2015 at 04:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.