Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

rsk7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Looking for advice on how to split up the time between Glacier NP (US) and Banff, Jasper (CN) over 2 weeks.

Also what may be a factor is we are planning on going the first 2 weeks of July.

Any advice is most welcome,

Thanks,
Rick

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Scott Stoness should be able to tell you when the hiking trails in Canada are mostly open, but the roads should all be clear.
Having been to all three, I could spend a full two weeks in any one place and feel wanting for more. Hitting all three in that time frame is a whirlwind tour. You'll see a lot, but not have much time to settle and explore.
Here are some great Canadian Rockies site guides, worth a read. You save if you buy the bundle up front. I found them very useful.
http://www.oopoomoo.com/ebooks/

David

Nov 17, 2015 at 08:47 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Its seems like a lot to do Glacier, Banff and Jasper in two weeks but I guess you can do it. If I were you I would just fly to Calgary and leave Montana to a separate trip. But Jasper/Banff/Waterton, and drive to the sun (Montana) are possible to do in 2 weeks - particularly if you fly in and out at different points (e.g.. fly into Calgary and exit in Helena or thereabouts).

Early July is a nice time - there will be wildflowers and the animals will just be starting to move up higher in the hills so you are likely to see some grizzly. Trails with really high elevation will still have snow at the high points.

What kind of pictures are you looking for - wildlife or landscape or both. Are you a hiker or a shoot from the car person? Both work in Jasper/Banff. Are you flying to Montana and then driving up and down or flying to Calgary.

You camping or hoteling? Overnight hikes?

My experience is that Jasper usually has better wildlife opportunity and Banff has better landscape opportunity.

I will make some specific suggestions tonight if you let me know your preferences.

Nov 19, 2015 at 08:42 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Thanks for the reply Scott.

I live in Washington State so I'm within a long days drive of Banff.

I'm mainly a landscape photographer. Wildlife is nice but secondary.

I'm a day hiker. Will be doing a combo car-camping interspersed with hotel nights.

The 2 weeks has some flexibility as I can add a day or two if it will make a difference.

What I'm really trying to figure out is should I spend half my time at one of the parks and split up the rest at 2 of the others or spend 6 days each at 2 of the parks and just 2 days at another or just split it up fairly evenly.

Rick

Nov 19, 2015 at 04:58 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Here is my advice. Banff is better for landscape than Jasper.

Banff Suggestions:
1) Vermillion lake sunrise
2) Two Jack lake sunrise
3) Moraine Lake Sunrise followed by a hike to Consolation Lake for early morning
4) Herbert Lake Sunrise followed by drive to Peyto Lookout for a early morning shot at Peyto Lookout, then a great hike up to Helen Lake
5) Bow lake Sunrise, then drive on to Jasper, Hike at Columbia Icefields.
[Night shooting at Herbert lake is great if you have new moon. Ditto Peyto Lake]

[all of this is not counting on any bad weather. To be realistic if were to ace these, I would expect 7 days counting on 2 bad days.

Jasper:
5 continued or next day) Medicine Lake sunset
6) Maligne Lake Sunrise then photography tour to Spirit Island
7) Edith Cavel Sunrise,
then drive back to Banff

8) Do under the bridge at Castle Junction, then drive 4 hours south to Waterton
[waterton is not as nice as Banff because of north south orientation as oppose to east west but better for wildlife. Like Jasper]
9) Climb up the ridge to shoot down the lake for sunrise,
then drive on to montana

10) drive the drive to the sun
-----I am a less able to advise here since I have not been here for awhile.

Accommodation in Banff:
Suggest Baker Creek Chalet - cabins that are kind of central but away from busy

Accommodation in Jasper:
camping at whistlers campground is great
alternatively, I love Jasper Park Lodge - expensive but elk, grizzly ambience

If you follow my smiley face under my icon you can look at some old pictures of these spots.

PM me with more specific suggestions.

If you were really strong hiker I would suggest - hiking to Assiniboine Lodge - my favorite spot but July early is bit early . Ditto Lake Ohara - its a bit early.

In summary - most time at Banff for landscape. And I personally would plan two trips rather than doing Waterton/Glacier but Glacier/Waterton are worth doing.]

Nov 19, 2015 at 06:56 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

I second Scotts comments.

Nov 19, 2015 at 07:17 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

tag

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:51 PM
gatorine
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

I did Glacier - Banff - Jasper and back to Glacier in 12 days this past summer.
If I had it to do over again I would focus on Banff, Yoho and Jasper and spend at least a week in Lake Louise, which is located close to a number of the sites Scott listed in Banff.

Can you tell us more about traveling companions (if any). I had my wife and twin 13 year old daughters in tow, but we still covered a lot of ground. We went from July 11 to 22. Some trails in Glacier were just opening up for the season.

If you do want to stay in some of the lodges I would recommend making reservations NOW. Definitely dine in as many as you can. The food was excellent everywhere (Prince of Wales, Many Glacier, and Lake McDonald lodges in Glacier; Fairmont Banff Springs and the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise). We never made it passed the Chateau Deli at Lake Louise into the main dining room, but we went back to the deli a second time. It's still Hot Chocolate and Cinnamon roll weather there in July (at least for South Floridians like my family). I made the mistake of staying in Hinton when we visited Jasper. Nothing against Hinton, it's just a long way East of the park.

I'll post some of my trip planning references later tonight.

If you are interested in wild life, drive the Bow Valley parkway before mid morning every chance you get.

Edited on Dec 09, 2015 at 08:36 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2015 at 01:09 PM
gatorine
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

My most dog eared guide book (by far) from the trip was

Parkways of the Canadian Rockies by Brian Patton

Next was Canadian Rockies Access Guide by John Dodd and Gail Helgason

A close third was Canadian Rockies Explorer by Graeme Pole (amazon.ca link)

I ordered a ton of Gemtrek maps. The most useful to me were these:
Banff Up-Close
Best of Lake Louise
Canadian Rockies Explorer's Map and Guide
Best of the Icefields Parkway
Jasper & Maligne Lake

You can buy all of these (and more) from Maptown

The Parks Canada visitor centers have nice maps for day hikes.

Here is a link to the Day Hikes in the Banff Area brochure.

Here is the link for the Lake Louise, Castle Junction and Icefields Parkway areas.

Hope this helps.

Dec 09, 2015 at 06:50 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Thanks for the information.

Wife and I are working on schedule and reservations now. I will be traveling with my wife and 11,8 year old kids. I would have liked to just camp but with the early morning photography, etc. it is easier if we have a hotel so they can sleep in, eat, laze around while I'm out stomping around in the dark.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM
gatorine
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Sleep in? Laze around?
Inconceivable!

Abby (age 13) getting the shot (with permission from the other photographers on site of course)

Dec 10, 2015 at 07:07 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

What a great thread - as someone following this, thanks to everyone for the great tips and info!!

Dec 18, 2015 at 02:42 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Based on it I've booked 2 nights at Glacier, 5 at Banff, 4 at Lake Louise and 5 at Jasper. Now to work on the specifics of what to do each day/night.

Thanks for all the info.

Rick

Dec 18, 2015 at 03:36 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

To the Banff shooters, if you had to select just one of these two months to shoot (July or early Dec), which would it be? Talking strictly landscape opportunities.

I know that's a very general question, but I'm trying to narrow down between wildflower scenics or snow-capped scenics.

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2015 at 04:10 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

CarlG wrote:
To the Banff shooters, if you had to select just one of these two months to shoot (July or early Dec), which would it be? Talking strictly landscape opportunities.

I know that's a very general question, but I'm trying to narrow down between wildflower scenics or snow-capped scenics.

Thanks.

Carl - you pm'd - I am posting what I sent you in case its helpful to others;

its a good time to ask because it is December and I am living it.

June is the best month for animals. The grizzlies are low down trying to find some food to bulk up on where there is no snow. The babies are out - bighorn sheep, mountain goats, grizzlies.. The downside of June is that most of the trails up high will be inaccessible. And the kids are still in school. School is off July/Aug here. And the days will be long, long, long --- 4am to 11pm is wonderful.

I consider the 3rd week in September to be the best week overall. You will see snow. You will see animals (moose, bear, wolves if you are lucky) and the larch will change color and the mountains will be accessible. You can hike all the trails with metal cleats on your hiking boots. This is the premier time for color and landscape.

But the 2nd week in July through early September are spectacular too. The high trails will be clear of ice and the wildflowers will be out. And the days are still pretty long. And outdoor camping is spectacular.

December is good but challenging. It can be -35(For C). The roads are pretty good. It can snow a lot but the parks will clear the roads so it just forces you to be in close if there is a big snow storm. However it will be hard to find animals. They are quite stressed at this time of year and tend not to move around much to conserve energy. The bears are in hibernation. You would expect to see some elk (some antlers will have fallen off some not) and bighorn sheep and Ravens - but not much else.

The great thing for me about winter is that the sun comes up at 8:45 and goes down at 5pm or so - therefore you don't have to stay out all night.

Ultimately, it depends on you. Winter is not easy. Its really cold. Cameras don't work well. The only spots available are near the road unless you put on the snowshoes and snowshoeing is about 2x the effort of hiking. If you want a tough but rewarding experience (winter boots, cold feet, dead batteries) come in the winter, but 3rd week of September might give you the same (snow, mood) without the challenges (batteries, access) and some color (larch turning) and animals.

For winter - Google spots:
1) Peyto Lookout
2) Bow Lake Winter
3) Vermillion Lake
4) Abraham Lake
5) Fowl Lake
6) Castle Junction
7) Emerald Lake
And decide whether these pictures are worth frozen fingers and lots of work on snowshoes.

If you really want a winter experience - I suggest flying into Calgary and book a week at Mount Assiniboine Lodge. Helicopter in and snowshoe and take pictures. Then do the spots above when you get out. It is gorgeous. My suggestion though - is that if you want a winter experience come out in March rather than December. The days would be longer and the temperature is likely to be nicer.

If the challenges and the opportunities are not in balance for your- plan around the 3rd week of September. Obvious ones are:
1) Lake Ohara (have to book ahead but its the best)
2) Moraine Lake
3) Vermillions Lake
4) 2 Jack Lake
5) Castle Junction
6) Bow Lake
7) Peyto Lake

Dec 19, 2015 at 07:20 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Thank you very much, Scott!! You're the best!!

Dec 19, 2015 at 08:31 PM
gatorine
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

In addition to the many great photos posted here by Scott and others, I found these books helpful for setting my itinerary:

John E. Marriott's Banff & Lake Louise

The Canadian Rockes Banff, Jasper & Beyond (also by John E. Marriott)

The Canadian Rockies, by Douglas Leighton

Glacier on My Mind by Michael Sample

Crown of the Continent, The Wildest Rockies by Steven Gnam

Darwin Wiggett's How to Photograph The Canadian Rockies ebooks

For historical perspective on Glacier National Park, I don't think Enchanted Trails of Glacier Park, by Agnes C. Laut can be beat.

Dec 20, 2015 at 07:27 PM
eesterle

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Scott Stoness,

Great information. Question for you; what do you think a drive from Vancouver, British Columbia up to Banff would be like in March? Google maps estimates an 8 hour drive one way which is doable. I'd rather see the scenery than an airplane seat into Calgary. What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

eric

Scott Stoness wrote:
Carl - you pm'd - I am posting what I sent you in case its helpful to others;

its a good time to ask because it is December and I am living it.

June is the best month for animals. The grizzlies are low down trying to find some food to bulk up on where there is no snow. The babies are out - bighorn sheep, mountain goats, grizzlies.. The downside of June is that most of the trails up high will be inaccessible. And the kids are still in school. School is off July/Aug here. And the days will be
...Show more

Jan 01, 2016 at 05:08 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

The drive from Vancouver to Calgary in March will be wintery. Often at this time of year through the pass avalanches will close the road for a day or so. It is a pretty drive but it is a very busy drive because this road is the main road through BC with big trucks and skiers (on weekends). There are two stretches that can be bad - Quocahala? and Rogers Pass. There is a reality tow truck show on the Quoqahala?.

On weekends it will feel like a long distance race drive with people passing and lots of scary driving.

I am not a big fan of this route just because of the crazy drivers, bad conditions, and susceptibility of delay for avalanche. A day driving from Jasper to Banff or Banff to Radium Hot Springs or just Banff to Field is a better day spent.

That said it is pretty - snow, trees, mountains.

I would skip it in the winter, For pictures it will be hard to stop safely.

Jan 12, 2016 at 08:46 AM
eesterle

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 2 wks, Glacier NP, Banff, Jasper?

Scott Stoness wrote:
The drive from Vancouver to Calgary in March will be wintery. Often at this time of year through the pass avalanches will close the road for a day or so. It is a pretty drive but it is a very busy drive because this road is the main road through BC with big trucks and skiers (on weekends). There are two stretches that can be bad - Quocahala? and Rogers Pass. There is a reality tow truck show on the Quoqahala?.

On weekends it will feel like a long distance race drive with people passing and lots of scary driving.

I
...Show more

Scott, appreciate the advise. The plan was to drive up to Banff for 3 days, then Jasper for 3 days. I was concerned about the drive though. Sounds like it's hit or miss due to weather. The other thought I had was to fly into Calgary from Vancouver and then back, rent a car in Calgary and drive up to the National Parks for the week. It's cheaper to drive though.

I thought all of the crazy drivers were in the lower 48

Jan 12, 2016 at 09:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.