New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Backpack advice

bobmcg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backpack advice

I'm trying to decide on a backpack for landscape photo day trips. Will be taking Nikon Df with attached lens, three additional lenses, filters, and a Sirui 1205x tripod. Thanks in advance.

Nov 15, 2015 at 06:01 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backpack advice

I've winnowed myself down to two...an F-Stop Loka and a Lowepro Dryzone Rover. Both have plenty of room to carry your gear, also have extra room for essential items and accessories such as filters, etc. Each has a good tripod carry arrangement. The Dryzone Rover has a waterproof gear compartment that is tall enough to carry longer lenses (70-200, etc) stowed vertically. For general hiking/shooting, I take the Loka. If I'll be around/on/in water. I'll take the Rover. One advantage to the Loka is that you can swap out the camera inserts, depending on your gear needs.

Nov 15, 2015 at 06:55 AM
bobmcg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backpack advice

Thanks Mike.

Nov 15, 2015 at 08:05 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backpack advice

my hiking pack is the lowepro Flipside 400

Would fit your gear and is a nice pack without breaking the bank

Nov 17, 2015 at 06:41 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backpack advice

A few years ago I looked at specs and features on 16 different photography backpacks.

The article is due for an update, but it'll give you a good foundation for the different brands that are available:

http://www.joereifer.com/words/2012/01/22/a-brief-statement-on-backpacks-for-hiking-with-photo-gear-from-the-society-obsessed-with-photography-backpack-perfection

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:09 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backpack advice

Nice Joe, thanks for sharing this.

I've used Clik Elite Contrejour 35 for about 3 years now and just love it. Its design is great for those who participate in extreme sports, and the comfort and performance are stellar.

The Dryzone Rover is a nice pack too, I had one for awhile and sold it this summer.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM
BillM_

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backpack advice

I use the Tamrac Evolution 8. This has been a very durable bag and I really like the interchangeable convenience between backpack and side-loading sling. To be honest, I am not sure why more bags are not designed like this. This Evolution is discontinued (some are still available online) and seems to have been replaced by the Corona.

Nov 17, 2015 at 02:22 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backpack advice

I recently concluded a search for a small backpack that would carry my landscape kit which consists of a 70-200mm, 24-70mm, 14-24mm, 3 tilt shift lenses, panorama kit, and a camera. Most of of the backpacks were not at all comfortable with their shoulder straps and waist belt designs. Others lacked a way to open the main compartment without first removing the tripod and many had no way to carry a waterbottle on the outside in a pocket. Even fewer had exterior compartments for batteries, filters, lens cloth, geotagging components, and other items that I want to get to without having to open the main compartment and expose the lenses inside each time.

I settled on the Gura Gear Kiboko 22L which is currently selling for $200. For my landscape kit it works extremely well and I can carry 15 or more pounds of camera equipment along with a 5 lb tripod for miles in comfort.

Nov 20, 2015 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.