New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

LoveMachine
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

I'm really not sure where to put this so I figured I'd put it on the board where it would get the most views. I'm looking at the Canon FD 85 1.2 L and Rokinon 85 1.4. From what I've read the FD 85 1.2 just has "that look" a la the 50 1.2L, but I'm wondering if that look is worth the $500 premium over the Rokinon. Any thoughts anyone?

Nov 14, 2015 at 04:42 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

I think it depends on the body you're intending to use it on; on a Canon DSLR, using the FD lens may be more trouble than it's worth (or may not, you'll have to do your research). The Rokinon (Samyang) will work out of the box and is a proven optic, so it's hard to recommend the Canon.

Nov 14, 2015 at 04:53 PM
LoveMachine
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

I'm actually planning on using the FD 85 1.2 on a Sony A7II with a metabones adapter (which is why I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Canon or Sony forum)

Nov 14, 2015 at 09:21 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

LoveMachine wrote:
I'm actually planning on using the FD 85 1.2 on a Sony A7II with a metabones adapter (which is why I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Canon or Sony forum)

Not sure that there's a Metabones adapter for FD; and it certainly isn't required, given that the lenses are all manual.

Nov 14, 2015 at 09:24 PM
LoveMachine
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Not sure that there's a Metabones adapter for FD; and it certainly isn't required, given that the lenses are all manual.

Metabones, and several others, make a Canon FD to Sony E-mount adapter. Not for AF, obviously, but just to get the lens onto the body.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:05 PM

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

I would also explore a Sigma 85mm f/1.4.

Nov 15, 2015 at 02:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

LoveMachine wrote:

the alt forum would be a good place

Nov 15, 2015 at 03:38 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

LoveMachine wrote:
Metabones, and several others, make a Canon FD to Sony E-mount adapter. Not for AF, obviously, but just to get the lens onto the body.

Well, there's a multitude of adapters for such things. Usually one mentions Metabones for the electrical translation circuitry they come with .

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

You don't need a metabones for the fd. Like others said I'm not sure they make one, even if they do it's stupidly expensive for no reason. Get a fotasy fd to e works exceptionally well and is less than $10. As for price I wouldn't compare the rokinon to the canon but a better comparison is the mitakon and canon since their both 1.2. I've only shot a rokinon 14mm which was very sharp it had a few things I didn't like.

You can rent a rokinon and see if you like it. Also if you search in the alt forum in the fe image thread you can find examples of the fd. Or go to Flickr select a7ii in the camera finder and search both lenses there.

Nov 16, 2015 at 08:46 AM
LoveMachine
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon FD 85mm 1.2 vs Rokinon 85mm 1.4

johnctharp wrote:
Well, there's a multitude of adapters for such things. Usually one mentions Metabones for the electrical translation circuitry they come with .

Very true. Although people tend to associate the name "metabones" with the line of speedboosters and/or smart adapters they make, Metabones is just the brand name. (like Fotodiox, Novolflex, and many others).

That's neither here nor there though, really. I ended up getting the Canon FD 85 1.2L (mint condition, complete with original manual and leather hard case ) with a Metabones FD to E-mount "dumb" adapter. Man, is it a pleasure to use. The focus ring is so smooth, it's tack sharp, and best of all, it can use the focus peaking of the A7II. It was a bit more expensive than the Rokinon, but I'm happy with it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.