New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Hello - I need to get a bean bag for camera/lens support. I'd like to be able to use it in a safari vehicle as well as on the hood of my car or a fence post. Using for nature and wildlife, with longer lenses. But also would possibly use it to weigh down my tripod. Some of these have ball/gimbal head screws right on them, like Naturescapes' model and something called the Gorilla POd and Omni Pod. I'd like to hear real world use opinions on these - is it six of one, half dozen of the other?

Thanks! Sharon

Nov 14, 2015 at 01:11 PM
DGC1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

http://www.vertexphoto.com/camerabeanbagv2

Been using these for years. Naturescapes equipment tends to be over priced.

Nov 14, 2015 at 03:14 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

thanks for the input - this one is no less expensive, however!

Nov 14, 2015 at 05:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

I've used a multitude of beanbags. I've used both the Kinesis and the Naturescrape bag which is a copycat. Typically I use the Kinesis bags on top and the large or (lately) smaller Vertex Molar bags on the open windows. I've also used some alternative Molar type bags and the thick Vertex brick-type bags. The Molar bags serve a special purpose, but are not a substitute for a traditional rectangular bag. Just pick your bag based on the size and don't worry about it.

EBH

Nov 14, 2015 at 07:07 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Thanks EB Seems like I could just load up some zip lock bags for flat use if in my car and weight is not a problem, and get one of these molar types for the windows...

Nov 14, 2015 at 09:21 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Sharona wrote:
thanks for the input - this one is no less expensive, however!

$70.00 vs. $50.00

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:20 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

I bought the Kinesis Safari Sack for my first trip to Africa, best decision I made. Took it empty and bought a 5 kg bag of rice when I arrived, used about 4.5 kg to get the right amount to keep it malleable.

The points I like about this bag are:
- attachment strap, wrap it around the grip bar of an open top Land Cruiser so it doesn't fall out while transiting.
- adjustable side straps, perfect to change the shape of the bag so it isn't laying flat.
- zipper entry, easy to add or extract media for just the right feel.

Before my second trip I bought a second one and strapped one on each side of the open top Land Cruiser so I could quickly shoot from both sides. Lenses were 300mm F2.8 and 500mm F4 with and without TC's. Works in a window frame too for a stable platform. I filled them with beans when I got back to North America and now use them as tripod and light stand weights as well as shooting platforms, great for low angle nature work.

Nov 16, 2015 at 03:00 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

JBPhotog wrote:
I bought the Kinesis Safari Sack for my first trip to Africa, best decision I made. Took it empty and bought a 5 kg bag of rice when I arrived, used about 4.5 kg to get the right amount to keep it malleable.

The points I like about this bag are:
- attachment strap, wrap it around the grip bar of an open top Land Cruiser so it doesn't fall out while transiting.
- adjustable side straps, perfect to change the shape of the bag so it isn't laying flat.
- zipper entry, easy to add or extract media for just the right feel.

Before
...Show more

Thanks so much! This is the info I really needed Will it work with a 600mm as well - like on the hood of my car, for example..?

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:09 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Sharona wrote:
Thanks so much! This is the info I really needed Will it work with a 600mm as well - like on the hood of my car, for example..?

Absolutely, I used my 500 F4 with TC's and it was perfect. Rotate the lens foot so it is on the top and the lens body rests directly on the bean bag.

For a primer see this, http://www.theglobalphotographer.com/the-global-photographer/category/photo-safari-101

Nov 17, 2015 at 07:41 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

I use the Gura Gear Super Sabi Sack:

http://www.amazon.com/Gura-Gear-Sabi-Super-Sack/dp/B00FDYR8OY

Serves its purpose, as do pretty much all of the alternatives given above . Can use laying flat, or as a "molar" type set over car door.

Nov 17, 2015 at 07:53 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Thanks again everyone - I just ordered three options from B&H, and I'll keep what I think will work best. Hate doing this, but sometimes it's better to just compare and return once.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:14 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Sharona - check with your safari company, mine provided several bean bags for our vehicle so we had a nice selection. Also, if you going on safari in Tanzania or Kenya and will be in a landrover my favorite support is the Todd Pod - I have used it with an 800mm and 600mm and it worked great and nice to have the gimbal mount. http://www.gustafsonphotosafari.net/products/

Nov 18, 2015 at 05:12 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Thanks - I'm not going on safari for this trip - just driving down to Bosque. But would like a multi-functional bean bag set-up!

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:58 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

I liked my Kinesis SafariSack better than just having random Ziploc bags. It's much more rugged, which is nice when you're swinging it onto different parts of the vehicle or plopping it down on surfaces that might have something sharp.

It's segmented and has straps, too, which means it's multifunctional to hang from tripods or use over a window.

Both times I've carried it now, I've traveled with it empty, found a local market and filled it with rice or beans, and then donated the contents at the end of the trip before I went home.

Nov 19, 2015 at 04:26 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

I have a few options that should arrive today. I have a hunch I'll use the safari sack flat on my car, with the NatureScape's Skimmer pod w/gimbal resting on top of that. The Safari sack I think will be a good all-rounder and a tripod hanger, when needed. Now to decide on fill. Rice was not flexible enough when I used it in Africa last year, so I'm thinking something like small beans - lentils maybe.

Nov 20, 2015 at 09:32 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Sharona wrote:
I have a few options that should arrive today. I have a hunch I'll use the safari sack flat on my car, with the NatureScape's Skimmer pod w/gimbal resting on top of that. The Safari sack I think will be a good all-rounder and a tripod hanger, when needed. Now to decide on fill. Rice was not flexible enough when I used it in Africa last year, so I'm thinking something like small beans - lentils maybe.

I've used Pinto beans a lot. I spent a lot of time trying to identify the perfect sized filler, first deciding that rice was too dense and garbanzo beans were too loose. I looked at synthetic alternatives online and in craft stores. Finally, after a lot of deliberation, comparison and searching online, I noticed that Pinto beans had that little yellow "sale" tag hanging off of them.

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:03 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

Went with Navy beans! Lentils perhaps too small, and others a bit too large. But I didn't buy enough. That Safari Sack takes a lot of beans to fill!

Nov 23, 2015 at 02:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

For domestic travel I use the buckwheat hulls rather than beans.

EBH

Nov 26, 2015 at 09:08 AM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · safari sack, naturescapes skimmer sack, etc

I use sunflower seeds. That way, I have some bird seed easily available.

Nov 30, 2015 at 06:40 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.