Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

johntruong
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

Hey folks!

Here are two forest images I took while out in Yosemite a few weeks ago after a weekend Winter storm. These were taken on a hike to Mirror Lake on a Sony A7rII and the Canon 24-70 2.8 II in RAW.

What I was amazed at was how beautiful the leaves were when the skies were completely overcast. The yellows and oranges look completely different when the sun is out vs when it is overcast and dark. The entire weekend was mostly rain and darkness, and these were shot with rain coming down intermittently.

These were edited in Lightroom and then Photoshop - and on these specific shots - what I really wanted to show you was how the autumn leaves seemed glow and reverberate next to the darker colored foliage. I am a painter with a minor in photography, and painting influences how I edit my images.

I spent a few days editing these - going back and forth and moving away from the editing and then going back to it the next day - mostly balancing out complimentary colors and making sure the colors harmonized with one another.

Afterglow, where is a beautiful model in a white fantasy dress when you need one? by John Truong, on Flickr

Orange you glad it rained? by John Truong, on Flickr

Nov 13, 2015 at 05:19 PM
TimMc

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

John-these and the others in first set are really great. I took the time to look at your flickr photo stream and found it equally enjoyable. You set a standard that I can use to push my own work. Thanks

Nov 13, 2015 at 05:51 PM
johntruong
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

Thanks Tim. And likewise! Still learning and experimenting

Nov 13, 2015 at 07:12 PM
dwa652
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

I like both images but I especially like the first one. In the 2nd image, I am curious as to why you darkened the bottom foreground so much.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:25 PM
johntruong
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

dwa652 wrote:
I like both images but I especially like the first one. In the 2nd image, I am curious as to why you darkened the bottom foreground so much.

The fact you noticed means I may have overdone that area. It is always good to get a second eye on these kinds of things because I did not notice that til you pointed it out (staring at the same image for a few hours on end can make these visual decisions fuzzy - I do lots of burning and dodging in black and white)

I darkened it to draw your eye away from the ground because I wanted the viewer to look at the yellow leaves. I may go back and re-edit that part. Good spot. Thanks!

Nov 14, 2015 at 06:22 AM
IShootThings
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

Great work, I love the color!

Nov 14, 2015 at 07:01 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

Hi John...

Landscape purists may not be too enthralled with your processing on these, however I really like them...particularly the first. It has a fairy tale quality and an artistic approach that sets it apart from a mundane photograph of a forest lane.

I, too, looked at your flickr stream and found that you have developed a unique "brand" as to how you style your nature/landscape photographs.

Very nice work.
Tom

Nov 14, 2015 at 07:40 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

Although I prefer my landscape photography to be very realistic... I very much appreciate seeing the painter-side of you interpreting these images.
#1 is my favorite and is just beautiful. Well done and thanks for sharing your vision.

Kirk

Nov 15, 2015 at 01:10 AM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

They certainly look like enchanted places. This is a deeply creative approach ... somewhere between realism and interpretation, halfway between reality and fairy tale.

Nevertheless, I would have kept the rocks in the first image to a more neutral grey.

santiago

Nov 15, 2015 at 07:52 AM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

Beautiful images John. I love your transition from landscape to art. Loving your other work too. You definitely lean toward cooler tones and I really like it. My brain tends to pull me toward warmer tones, but I'll be thinking about your work the next time I'm shooting.

The cyan in the rock trail and lighter background trees in #1 is a little strong for me, but I think I see what you were going for; leading the eye down the trail. That's just my personal thought but I still love it. Very surreal.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:16 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yosemite Trees November 2015

Very nice John. My first thought was to do a double take as to who posted these. These have the same magical fantasy vibe to them that another member here uses in her portrait work. Something I find very appealing when used and done properly.

As you pointed out, you might have taken them a little too far but you can always make changes as you see fit. I like them both. #1 especially.

Dave

Nov 17, 2015 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.