New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Best place for wildlife/landscape photos in December

DAbernathy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best place for wildlife/landscape photos in December

I started into wildlife photography about a year ago. Mostly birds, since I live in Southeast Florida. This fall I made trips to the Smokey Mountains (Cades Cove) and Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and then last month went to the Rocky Mountain National Park.

It is addicting - I am going to be in Austin Texas on Dec 2 and 3rd and thinking since I am in the middle of the country I should fly somewhere to take more photos. I will fly out of Austin on Dec 4th. for several days. (3 to 4)

I really liked Grand Tetons - but there was no snow on the mountains when I was there. I follow the BestOfTetons.com site for what is happening there and worried that it may be too much snow by Dec 4th to get around in the Jackson Hole area.

I also though about flying to see the eagles along the Mississippi River.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

FYI - this board has been an awesome source of ideas and inspiration for improvement!

Nov 13, 2015 at 05:17 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best place for wildlife/landscape photos in December

Unless you have thoroughly covered Texas, I would stay right there. The Gulf coast has similar shorebirds to FL, but the Rio Grande Valley has birds we never see in FL. Even in the hill country around Austin, there is a good variety of birds not found in FL. There are preserves and sanctuaries that Google will find for you with descriptions of what you can expect at that time.

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM
barrye
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best place for wildlife/landscape photos in December

December might be a little early for the eagles on the Mississippi River. January is better for them.

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:45 AM
DAbernathy

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best place for wildlife/landscape photos in December

thanks

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best place for wildlife/landscape photos in December

You could do worse than Southern Arizona.
Fall colors linger in the lower elevations.
Hiking opportunities in the regional mountains. (Chiricahua Nat Monument, Dragoons, etc.)
Plenty of birds in the lower elevations. Wilcox Playa, low canyons, etc.
And, best of all, lovely climate. (Nights typically in the 40s, highs around 70, interrupted every week~10 days by a few days of clouds, rain and cold as a winter storm passes through.)

Nov 14, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Carlosh

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best place for wildlife/landscape photos in December

I highly recommend Bentsen State Park located between Mission and McAllen Texas. Of all the places I've been to, this one is the winner for colorful songbirds. You will find that the winter migration has already arrived and is in full swing. You can get a free guided tour on Sunday and I think Wednesday mornings at 8 AM. You can call them to verify the times and dates for the guided tours. After they take you on a 2 hour tour, you can go back to any of those spots on your own and take all the pics you want. Just sitting at the visitor's station, you can see an abundance of Greenjays, Baltimore Oriels, and Kiskadees, plus many other birds, and you haven't even started your tour! You can also look up information online.

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:51 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.