New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Roofs

santos
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Roofs

Contrary to the other photograph, raccards and mayens, where the cabins appeared as nested in the crook of the cold mountains, I like the way the roofs of these three cabins mimic the mountains behind.

Thanks for looking and for commenting.
Santiago

Nov 13, 2015 at 04:01 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Roofs

This is interesting with a lot of components. I do not mind the power lines at all as I find they create a nice accent, a subtle point of focus in a rather diverse scene. I am not as fond of the foreground fence. The curved shape brings my attention to it as if I wish I could straighten it out or make it disappear. Maybe a wider or lower view to include more of it and the cabins. On the whole, for me, it does not quite gel. My overall sense is that I would like to see a shot of just the mountains, simple but with all the complexities of the varied lines and shapes.

Nov 17, 2015 at 09:51 AM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Roofs

We have log cabins with the same style here in the US, but the roof is made out of different materials. I like looks of the ones here, indeed they do seem to blend nicely with the mountainside in the background. Nicely photographed Santiago.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:23 AM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Roofs

Brev00 wrote:
This is interesting with a lot of components. I do not mind the power lines at all as I find they create a nice accent, a subtle point of focus in a rather diverse scene. I am not as fond of the foreground fence. The curved shape brings my attention to it as if I wish I could straighten it out or make it disappear. Maybe a wider or lower view to include more of it and the cabins. On the whole, for me, it does not quite gel. My overall sense is that I would like to see a
...Show more

Thanks for your thoughts and critic Brev00. This old fence was actually built along a small and curved road that seats on a small hill, with the chalets behind, further down. I myself had some other chalets on my back, so not too many options to frame this unfortunately. I tried to exclude the road, wlhile keeping the curved fence as an interesting FG element. Yet I can see through your comment that it may also act as a distraction.

Let me know what do you think of the cropped version.

santiago

Nov 19, 2015 at 07:17 AM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Roofs

lazlo369 wrote:
We have log cabins with the same style here in the US, but the roof is made out of different materials. I like looks of the ones here, indeed they do seem to blend nicely with the mountainside in the background. Nicely photographed Santiago.

The roof tiles here are typically made of slate (here rather old slate, overgrown with mosses and lichen), but also larch bark (they are called tavillons), or even corrugated iron when money becomes scarce. Thanks a lot for your thoughts, Lazlo.

santiago

Nov 19, 2015 at 07:20 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Roofs

A forced crop but I like it! The geometry of the roofs works well with the very impressive mountains. Adds lines and texture without seeming out of place. Do you get a chance to return? Seems like a pretty rich locale.

Nov 19, 2015 at 05:49 PM
PetersCreek

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Roofs

I'm of the opposite opinion. I don't mind the fence so much and I feel that the corrugated and other debris gives some context to the power lines and pole. In the crop, that context is gone and I find the power lines more bothersome.

Nov 19, 2015 at 06:26 PM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Roofs

Thank you, Brev00 and Brett, for your valid opinions.
I myself lean towards the original version.

santiago

Nov 21, 2015 at 05:07 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Roofs

santos wrote:
Thank you, Brev00 and Brett, for your valid opinions.
I myself lean towards the original version.

santiago

I like the original version too, santos.

When I take a photo of landscapes, I leave everything as is. I like my landscape photos to look as I see it.

effie

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:28 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.