FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

So as many of you know I also run an editing business.

Everything is done via smart previews in LR 5 or 6/CC.

Since people started upgrading to 6/CC I have had a number of problems with catalogs being extremely slow. Images take 2-4 seconds to "render" when switching images and any changes that are applied take another few seconds to show up etc.
This only happened for a few people and it seemed like it was intermittent. Now it is starting to happen much more and I have been looking into the problem a little more.
Possible things I thought could be happening:
*Some people are rendering 1:1 previews and the smart previews that are being made are huge therefore causing a slowdown.
*People rendering smart previews on import instead of by exporting to catalog and building smart previews for only culled and selected images.
*GPU settings on my end.

I had a few people try different things and the problems seem to persist.
The only commonality between all these people is that they are running LR CC. People running LR 5 or LR 6 (stand alone) do not suffer from any of these things.

I am writing this is as PSA and also to ask if anyone has any insight into why this would be happening.
I run LR6 the stand alone version...perhaps a compatibility issue between 6 and CC?

Anyway if anyone would like to offer insight feel free.

****UPDATE****
I have been working with one of my editing clients who was having trouble with the slow catalog and we have finally come up with a solution ... I think.

Before he was using one catalog for all wedding images and was rendering smart previews during import or something...no clue really...I don't think he even knew what he was doing.
He was also applying an import preset.

I had him take the culled images from photo mechanic and make a new catalog.
Rendered MINIMAL previews.
No import preset.
Then he went to file "export as catalog" and exported the catalog and checked the boxes for:
*build include smart previews
*include available previews

He then sent me the LR catalog, Smart Preview file, and LR preview file in one folder via dropbox.

Open catalog on my end.
BLAZING fast. No more lag. 0 to hero.

So... I have no clue what changes made the difference but it is a 100% turn around.

Just in case anyone cared.

Edited on Nov 17, 2015 at 07:43 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Sodonn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

I'm pulling off memory here so I could be wrong. I could swear that I read somewhere that upping the preview catche in settings helps in this case. Again....could be wrong but worth a shot maybe?

Think I found the right article that I was referring to. http://www.slrlounge.com/speeding-lightroom-really-easy-no-hardware-purchase-required/

Nov 12, 2015 at 01:34 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

Ya I tried that as well.
My cache is set to some like like 1 or 2 TB and I clear it out all the time and nothing seems to matter.
Like I said the people who send me stuff from LR 6 stand alone are fine. Flies. Crazy fast. LR 5 is the same way. Super crazy fast.

Nov 12, 2015 at 01:49 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

If I understand what you are writing, you're having your clients send you LR catalogs? VS a container such as a folder, disk or drive of files?

Nov 12, 2015 at 02:51 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

MRomine wrote:
If I understand what you are writing, you're having your clients send you LR catalogs? VS a container such as a folder, disk or drive of files?

Yes. All client files are handled through smart previews. So they send me the .lrcat file and the blahblahsmartpreview.lrdata file.
With those two things I can do edits and then send the finished catalog back.
The catalog I send replaces their old catalog and edits appear.

This is how I have been doing it since smart previews came out.

The issue I am having is with any smart previews and catalogs generated with LR CC.

Nov 12, 2015 at 02:56 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

I should be able to edit around 1k images in 3- 3.5 hours.
I can normally do 2 weddings a day and then some random smaller sessions.
The most recent wedding I am working on now made with LR CC has 1200 or so images... I have been at it for 8 hours. Most of that time is sitting doing nothing while LR lags so bad I want to cry.

Nov 12, 2015 at 03:00 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

hardlyboring wrote:
The issue I am having is with any smart previews and catalogs generated with LR CC.

Ok, I thought that was what you were saying. If you can't get it sorted out I guess you could always have them send you the files or download them from a cloud option. This way you can by pass the CC catalog. Or upgrade to CC

This was probably built into CC catalogs by Adobe to force users to upgrade to CC

Nov 12, 2015 at 03:33 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

I have no desire to upgrade to CC... I already upgraded to 6 and it is fantastic on my machine.
They can suck my ass as far as I am concerned.

I might see if I can have my clients make the initial catalog with LR5 and then I can do the edits etc. and then when they get the catalog back they can upgrade it if they want.

Nov 12, 2015 at 03:41 PM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

Are you sure your cache is at 1TB? Or 1GB? One TB for cache would be quite overkill, but 1 GB for cache may be a bit low. Also, are you deleting/optimizing your catalog every so often? I write XMPs and then clean mine out about every 4 or 5 weddings. It makes Lightroom catalog backups a lot faster.

I assume you aren't having issues with my catalogs? I'm on LR6 stand alone.

Lastly... huge shout out to Doug. He's been a life saver for us.

Nov 12, 2015 at 08:05 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

Dearest Adobe,

Please suckle upon my anus. I bid you adieu, my sweet.

Lovingly,
Dougie

Nov 12, 2015 at 08:19 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

I don't know if you are experiencing the same issue as me, or if it's a result from the same problem, but I will share my experience in case it helps.

All week my Lightroom CC has been dreadfully slow- not just common slow periods or slight delays (which still suck ), but Lightroom was basically unusable. I noticed that the little creative cloud logo in the upper right corner of my Mac would disappear often. I figured that had to have something to do with it. Called Adobe support, and the first guy was useless. Wasted two hours doing absolutely nothing beneficial. The second dude, however, will forever be my homie. The first thing he had me do was open the Activity Monitor, and close out/shut down all the adobe shit just smiling at me with a shit eating grin since it didn't want to work. Then he had me reopen Creative Cloud and lightroom- boom. Working like a charm. He said there was a glitch with my adobe ID not logging in correctly and forcing the creative cloud to think it's not valid.

a) Maybe this helps you?
b) I have no idea if what I did was common knowledge lol, but it worked and I'm happily editing again.
c) Screw Adobe

Nov 12, 2015 at 09:14 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

A few things..
My cache is set to 1000gb. So yes 1TB... That does not seem to matter much because I can set it lower and the same thing happens but is fine with my stuff.
I have optimized catalogs but when I am working on someone else's catalog I do not know if optimizing actually does anything because I am dealing with the smart previews and not the raws.

I have not had an issues with Trent's catalogs... ? Stand alone... seems to work fine.

I have one gal who just upgraded and did not tell me... her catalog today was fine. I had her list the exact procedure for how she sends me stuff (import, cull, exporting catalog with SP etc). Everything she does is standard as far as I am concerned and is what my other people with problems are doing.

I have no clue really... The response I get when emailing adobe is "sorry we are looking into it"... well gee fricking thanks arse holes!

I will keep people posted with info when I can find it.

Nov 12, 2015 at 09:30 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR6 / LR CC Smart Preview Problem UPDATED

Updated with new info.

Nov 17, 2015 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.