Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

I am still debating about backpacks for carrying a fair amount of gear plus a tripod. I want to carry about 7 mostly small lenses and a couple of mirrorless bodies and attach a tripod and have room for a hat, gloves, sandwich, water, and say a spare layer (shell or mid layer) for day hikes. Ideally, I would like to be able to travel with it as a carry on and (while putting tripod in checked luggage along with any clothes) be able to hold a macbook pro. I came across some good comments on the Mindshift Rotation 180. I have also heard good things about F-Stop Ajna and Tilopia. Anyone have any experience with the MIndshift? Thoughts as to whether it would be a better or worse option for my needs than F-Stop bags? Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited on Nov 12, 2015 at 12:43 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:52 AM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

I think you mean Mindshift, not Mindspring.

FWIW, the thing that made me dismiss the Mindspring over the F-Stop was that it didn't just convert into a regular backpack when you pull out the photo dividers, and the photo gear storage amount just wasn't as flexible.

With the F-Stop, you can just swap in another ICU, all the way from a very small one that takes up hardly any space, to a big one that takes up the whole bag. And when you don't want to carry any photo gear, you pull them out entirely. The Rotation has dedicated photo space that's not easily reclaimed as "normal" pack space.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:25 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

You have a separate compartment for non-photography stuff. The speed offers by the belt pack is phenomenal. It's almost like having a Capture Clip camera ready, without having the camera weighing down one of your shoulders. If you don't need the speed, then any backpack will do. I think a dedicated hiking backpack with some neoprene lens pouches would be much better than what an F-stop bag can offer.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

binary visions wrote:
I think you mean Mindshift, not Mindspring.

FWIW, the thing that made me dismiss the Mindspring over the F-Stop was that it didn't just convert into a regular backpack when you pull out the photo dividers, and the photo gear storage amount just wasn't as flexible.

With the F-Stop, you can just swap in another ICU, all the way from a very small one that takes up hardly any space, to a big one that takes up the whole bag. And when you don't want to carry any photo gear, you pull them out entirely. The Rotation has dedicated photo space
...Show more

I edited the post to reflect the proper name, thanks. I had it right in the subject line but wrong int he body of my post....

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

Mind shift- more complex
F-Stop- simpler

In the end you learn simpler is better.

Nov 12, 2015 at 01:47 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

I'm a bit biased as I work for MindShift Gear and Think Tank, but here's my take.

I like my R180 Pro, however it's not always my first choice as I'm often carrying more gear than what the rotational portion can fit (like my Speed Graphic Pacemaker 4x5). If my gear does fit in the rotating pouch then it's WAY more convenient than any other traditional backpack I own as I can access my gear while continuing to walk. The pack was also built with hiking in mind and has good support/suspension. So it's a comfortable pack though some say it's a bit on the heavy side for its size due to the "two packs in one" design.

Any pack with rear-access will allow you to access your gear without setting your bag down on the ground, but it's a slow ordeal to actually get to your gear. Stop, unclip the sternum strap, double-check to make sure the belt strap is tight, remove your arms from the harness, rotate the bag around to your frontside, unzip the pack and then repeat to put it back on. Being able to leave the pack in-place to swap lenses or to grab/stow your camera is something you just have to try out in the real world before knocking it.

That being said, the MindShift FirstLight backpacks are more comparable to the F-stop bags.

Hope that's of some help.

Cheers,

Randy

Nov 12, 2015 at 06:36 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

pixelrandy wrote:
I'm a bit biased as I work for MindShift Gear and Think Tank, but here's my take.

I like my R180 Pro, however it's not always my first choice as I'm often carrying more gear than what the rotational portion can fit (like my Speed Graphic Pacemaker 4x5). If my gear does fit in the rotating pouch then it's WAY more convenient than any other traditional backpack I own as I can access my gear while continuing to walk. The pack was also built with hiking in mind and has good support/suspension. So it's a comfortable pack though some say
...Show more

Hi Randy,

Thx for the comments. Am I correct that the R 180 pro is a bit more comfortable to wear? I am guessing that the rotation feature would occasionally be handy ebpven if all my photo gear would not fit as I could put my most used lenses in the lower part of the pack.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

pixelrandy wrote:
Any pack with rear-access will allow you to access your gear without setting your bag down on the ground, but it's a slow ordeal to actually get to your gear. Stop, unclip the sternum strap, double-check to make sure the belt strap is tight, remove your arms from the harness, rotate the bag around to your frontside, unzip the pack and then repeat to put it back on. Being able to leave the pack in-place to swap lenses or to grab/stow your camera is something you just have to try out in the real world before knocking it.

Writing it (as above) is much more complex than actually doing it. When I'm in crowded environments where it is difficult to remove a pack and set it down, I use my F-Stop Guru in this manner all the time, and it would be doable with the Ajna as well. In an uncrowded environment, unclipping and doffing the pack to the ground in order to access gear is not at all difficult, but I'm sure everyone has a different tolerance for this.

Once upon a time I had the ThinkTank Rotation 360 (or whatever it was called), and I just couldn't pull the gyrations off to get to the gear in any effective way. That sucker was heavy, too. F-Stop changed my camera bag life in the same way that Lightroom changed my photo software life. The only difference is that I want one of every size bag and ICU that F-Stop makes.

Nov 13, 2015 at 02:27 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

I've used my F-stop Loka (similar volume to Ajna) on several trips now and I love it's versatility. I'm pretty much always travelling with my wife who is decidedly not a photographer, nor does she have a ton of patience when I'm setting up a shot, but I've never felt that the bag held me back. I've carried it in both urban environments and on day hikes in the outdoors, and it's got sufficient room for camera gear, water, snacks, and jackets. I typically carry my camera on a wrist strap when I'll be snapping away, and put it away in the pack when I need two hands.

Take a recent trip to Hawaii on the big island. One day I took it to a beach and took the whole ICU out, left it at the hotel, and just left the camera on top of the beach towels and other beachy accouterments in the pack and grabbed it from the top panel when I wanted it. At a different beach I had the ICU in (Green Sand beach only accessible by 3-mile hike or standing in the back of a pickup truck for a bumpy ride along the coast), and it was so windy I wedged it into some lava rock and worked out of it there. That brings up another point, I almost bloodied my foot on hidden lava rock, but the fabric they use for the bag looks untouched after many encounters with jagged stone.

I haven't used the other pack you've referenced, but I can say that I find the F-stop as comfortable to carry as a similar volume and style Osprey that I used previously, at least up to 20-25 pounds. The suspension is good, though my back gets sweatier that with the Osprey's mesh. I did the whole camera cube in a regular backpack thing with the Osprey, and found it significantly more inconvenient to use compared to the F-stop.

Depending on the trip and gear I expect to use, I'll carry it with either the Small Pro or Medium Slope ICU. I think the Medium Slope would accommodate the gear you're looking to carry.

I have a Feisol 3441T tripod paired with an RRS BH-25 ballhead, and carry that side mounted with the legs in the mesh pocket, and a compression strap holding it securely up top. It's light and I can just counterbalance it with a water bottle on the opposite side. If I was carrying my larger Gitzo, I'd probably strap it in the middle on the back of the pack for better balance on longer hikes, but then you can't lay it down on that side as easily when you want to access the camera gear.

Nov 13, 2015 at 09:16 AM
retief
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

I was an "early adopter" of MindShift, purchasing my as a full kit during the Kickstarter phase. The only knock I have on the bag is that it can't accommodate my 400mm f2.8 inside the bag, but when I walk I can easily attach it off a strap or add another bag. This makes watching with my gear very comfortable, I can have my camera body in the rotation pack, hang my tripod and lens easily off straps and am able to very quickly set up when I stop and move. This also makes it very easy to carry shorter lenses and/or my V3 in the rotation pack. That pack is also sturdy enough with enough attachments that I can strap my second body with shorter lens on the front for very quick access.

I have since purchased one of the smaller bags, can't remember which at this time, for carry on with regional jets.

Packs are the most comfortable I have used, weight is distributed well. The bonus is the removable waist pack. Downside is not even room to hold Super-Teles inside the pack.

The problem with all these things for me is two fold. First the price makes it prohibitive to "buy and try" a bunch. Second is that you don't really know how it will work until you have one. Oh, the third one are all the people that once they have one will tell you it is the best thing since sliced bread and they couldn't live without it.

Truth is I'll bet that any of these bags will fit the bill, all I can say is the for me at this time MindShift is fitting my bill quite well.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

Jeff wrote:
Once upon a time I had the ThinkTank Rotation 360 (or whatever it was called), and I just couldn't pull the gyrations off to get to the gear in any effective way. That sucker was heavy, too.

The Rotation 360 was Think Tank's first attempt at rotation, perhaps eight or so years ago. It was really heavy and didn't carry much for its size. It ended up being a good first proof of concept, but the tech needed a lot of refinement before it was truly practical.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:40 AM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

Luvwine wrote:
Hi Randy,

Thx for the comments. Am I correct that the R 180 pro is a bit more comfortable to wear? I am guessing that the rotation feature would occasionally be handy ebpven if all my photo gear would not fit as I could put my most used lenses in the lower part of the pack.

I haven't worn the F-Stop bags so I can't comment on the difference in comfort. Surprised we don't have a few floating around the office... or maybe we do and I just didn't notice. :-)

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:41 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

pixelrandy wrote:
The Rotation 360 was Think Tank's first attempt at rotation, perhaps eight or so years ago. It was really heavy and didn't carry much for its size. It ended up being a good first proof of concept, but the tech needed a lot of refinement before it was truly practical.

i find that statement/admission on the R360 quite admirable.

i have a few of your earlier products that i would never give up even though they were discontinued.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

sjms wrote:
i find that statement/admission on the R360 quite admirable.

i have a few of your earlier products that i would never give up even though they were discontinued.

Thanks for the kind words. ;-)

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

pixelrandy wrote:
I haven't worn the F-Stop bags so I can't comment on the difference in comfort. Surprised we don't have a few floating around the office... or maybe we do and I just didn't notice. :-)

Randy, I meant is the rotation 180 more comfortable that the Firstlight? I think I read that the Rotation 180 strap system is better padded and more comfy than the Firstlight. The size is pretty similar between the Firstlight 40L and the Rotation 180, tho am a bit concerned looking at Delta's carry on limits that the Rotation 180 is just a smidgen over where the Firstlight appears fully compliant assuming measurements are accurate.

Choosing a bag is hard! I could see going with Firstlight 40L, Rotation 180 deluxe, F-Stop Ajna or Tilopia! I have not even looked at Gura Gear as I don't want to get any more confused!

Nov 13, 2015 at 01:32 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

Tilopa can be on the edge for some airlines; the Ajna was perfect.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:43 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

Jeff wrote:
Tilopa can be on the edge for some airlines; the Ajna was perfect.

When I read Delta's carry on measurements, it turns out even the Ajna is too long. In practice, it may be fine, but if iwant to be safe, the Mindshift Firstlight 30l or 40l or Thinktank Streetwalker Harddrive all seem to meet the measurements where F-Stop does not. I like the looks of the Ajna better and like the versatility of mixing and matching the ICU's, but they are 23.5" long and Delta says 22" long.....

I usually fly Delta and don't know if other airlines are different, but they say: 22x14x9 inches. Ajna is 23.5x13x10.5.

Ajna is 2 linear inches too big and exceeds the allowable dimensions in length and depth. I worry that I might have to check my gear if I go with Ajna.

I am leaning toward the Mindshift/Thinktank options due to these carry-on restrictions. Even the Mindshift rotation 180 to is too long....

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

Both packs are compensable by the use of straps both built in and add-on. I just round tripped to Japan a few weeks ago with a full ajna on UAL from EWR. the limits set will vary by a number of factors. These will include load factor of that particular flight, where you are sitting in the plane and how full the overheads get before you get on. In the end no matter what size your bag is and that includes if it is well within the limits set by the carrier if the overheads are physically full before you board the control and cutoff is by the cabin crew. Domestic travel is the most challenging generally due to aircraft size. Flying is something I do all too often and it not always in business class.

Nov 14, 2015 at 06:09 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

sjms wrote:
Both packs are compensable by the use of straps both built in and add-on. I just round tripped to Japan a few weeks ago with a full ajna on UAL from EWR. the limits set will vary by a number of factors. These will include load factor of that particular flight, where you are sitting in the plane and how full the overheads get before you get on. In the end no matter what size your bag is and that includes if it is well within the limits set by the carrier if the overheads are physically full before you
...Show more
I don't know if you get this option in the USA but on some Asian & Euro flights and especially with the low cost airlines, there is often an option to pay a little extra (e.g. US$20-30) for more legroom & priority boarding. Overheads are guaranteed to be empty of course and you don't have to fight the herd when boarding. Well worth the money. Now if you fly Premium Economy or Business that's even better naturally !

Nov 14, 2015 at 06:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mindshift Rotation 180 Professional 38L versus F-Stop?

Yes, but the price varies by flight.

Nov 14, 2015 at 06:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.