Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

TAM63
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

I have some old film gear that I would like to sell. And a modern 18-70mm lens.

Particularly with the film gear, I don't feel qualified to assess the condition at this point, so I am not going to put these items for sale here on FM.

I think the best bet is for me to sell this items to one of the stores, they can figure out condition. I understand I'll get a bit less money, but I think they will be fair.

For these sorts of items, would any of the 3 stores be more likely to pay the most and be the easiest to deal with?

Nov 11, 2015 at 01:45 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

I've only used KEH for these kinds of sales, and no complaints. Not sure which is cheaper, but I do know that KEH will give a 10% discount if you trade the value toward another purchase.

Hope this helps.

- Dan

Nov 11, 2015 at 01:49 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

I've had good luck selling to B&H - they've even given me more for my gear than people were willing to pay for it on the Buy & Sell forum here.

I've had some very bad experiences with KEH, and I would never deal with them again.

Nov 11, 2015 at 01:55 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

Instead of selling old film gear why not check I your area and see if any schools are teaching with film and donate to them?

Nov 11, 2015 at 02:09 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

Well partly because I don't know what works and what doesn't. I will probably do that with a lens I have. But also, it would be nice to get a few bucks to put towards my new gear.

Nov 11, 2015 at 02:26 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

B&H seems to have some of this sort of thing.

What might I expect - half of what they are selling it for? Less?

Nov 11, 2015 at 02:36 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

KEH I'd use only to buy not sell....Adorama offers up to 60% of what they can sell it for.

Nov 11, 2015 at 05:22 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

Hmm ok, so sounds like maybe between Adorama and B&H. I've had good experiences purchasing from both. Toss a coin?

Nov 11, 2015 at 05:48 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

I sell quite a bit of stuff every year. There is absolutely NO WAY that I'd sell to any of the resellers. You get about half or probably even less of what's it's worth. Don't see any sense in that AT ALL. Especially film gear (assuming it's not premium stuff like Leica, Ebony.) You'll absolutely be ahead by selling here, on APUG, or ebay. Even on Amazon, their take is only 8% of sale leaving you with 92%. Hell, if you're just going to give the stuff away for <50% of what's it worth, maybe I'll buy it from you and make the money. What do you have?

Kent in SD

Nov 11, 2015 at 05:52 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

Well I am not trying to bypass the buy/sell board here. So if we do come up with anything, I will pay to join that at least for a month. I will send you a pm.

Normally I don't sell to the resellers, just considering it in this case.

Nov 11, 2015 at 06:01 PM
RDXX

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

You may be able to at least send your equipment to B&H or Adorama for a review. They should be evaluate the condition of the equipment and make you an offer. That will at least give you a starting point even if you decide to sell on the buy and sell forum here.

Nov 11, 2015 at 06:47 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

Thanks - I found some old notes from Adorama, I asked them once - they were offering peanuts at that time, nowhere near half of what it sold for. So I think I may as B&H.

I would not want to sell something on the board that I cannot say with confidence is in good condition, hence my considering sending it all to one of the resellers. The 18-70 is fine, there I'm just being lazy rather than selling it separately.

Hmmm have a couple zero-Halliburton cases too that don't fit my new gear...

Nov 11, 2015 at 06:52 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

Thanks - I found some old notes from Adorama, I asked them once - they were offering peanuts at that time, nowhere near half of what it sold for. So I think I may ask B&H.

I would not want to sell something on the board that I cannot say with confidence is in good condition, hence my considering sending it all to one of the resellers. The 18-70 is fine, there I'm just being lazy rather than selling it separately.

Hmmm have a couple zero-Halliburton cases too that don't fit my new gear...

Edited on Nov 11, 2015 at 06:53 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2015 at 06:52 PM
jmai86
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

Resellers have to make a healthy profit on buying used gear and reselling, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

You'll be better off selling on forums, Amazon, eBay, or on Craigslist. Forums will net you the least from my experience, but is the most pleasurable since you're dealing with like minded folks. Amazon is my 2nd pick since they take a very low fee and the seller tools are great. You just have to deal with the ocassional return request, but if you accurately describe your item it shouldn't be an issue. eBay isn't as ideal since their fees are higher + paypal fees. Craigslist is great if you don't mind meeting strangers.

If you just don't know about the condition of your gear, I would have them checked all at once by a local camera shop first, and then selling. You'll probably still be ahead of selling to resellers.

Better yet - do some reading on how to assess your gear, how the mechanics work and what to look for. It's not super complicated, you'll gain some knowledge, and save yourself a lot of money. Folks here on the forum will ask you if you forget to check anything.

Edited on Nov 11, 2015 at 06:56 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2015 at 06:53 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

Sure, I absolutely expect them to make a good profit - I wouldn't be bent out of shape at 1/2 of what they sell it for, for example.

I have bought and sold various other gear, been very happy with the items I have bought here. My issue, in this case, is not being able to guarantee (or even close to it) the condition.

No local camera shops left around here, sadly, not nearby anyway.

Couple FE2 bodies and misc stuff, if that matters.

To some extent, I am content to take a slight hit in $$ for convenience, and not accidentally selling anyone something defective, in this case.

Nov 11, 2015 at 06:56 PM
jmai86
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

TAM63 wrote:
To some extent, I am content to take a slight hit in $$ for convenience, and not accidentally selling anyone something defective, in this case.

I edited my previous post after you posted your reply - copy pasting my edit here

---

Better yet - do some reading on how to assess your gear, how the mechanics work and what to look for. It's not super complicated, you'll gain some knowledge, and save yourself a lot of money. Folks here on the forum will ask you if you forget to check anything.

Nov 11, 2015 at 06:58 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

I could, true. But for the difference in $$ that it would make, I'm not sure that I want to invest the time. And knowledge in assessing old film gear is probably not something I will use in the future. I am sure I would also have to go purchase batteries for all this stuff too. So when you add up time, $$ spent, etc - I'm just not sure it is worth it in this case. None of this is high dollar stuff - if it was, my attitude would be different.

Nov 11, 2015 at 07:05 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

List what you want to sell. Take some pictures. Then explain why you don't know what works and what doesn't. This is how you can run your add in the buy sell forum. Can't hurt to start here.

I did sell two items that weren't working properly on ebay not too long ago. A Nikon F6 and 80-200 AFS lens. I fully disclosed what the issue was and they both sold. Same for a piece of audio equipment. Amazing what can sell, even when it's not working or not working too well.

Nov 11, 2015 at 07:34 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

I will consider it, thanks. There is some appeal in putting it all in one box and sending it off though.

The bodies, someone may want. The little flash units etc, probably not up to snuff for the folks on FM I would guess.

Nov 11, 2015 at 07:36 PM
TAM63
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Selling some old gear - KEH, B&H, Adorama more $$?

I will consider it, thanks. There is some appeal in putting it all in one box and sending it off though.

The bodies, someone may want. The little flash units etc, probably not up to snuff for the folks on FM I would guess.

Nov 11, 2015 at 07:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.