New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Contax C/Y 28mm f2.8 oil on blades

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax C/Y 28mm f2.8 oil on blades

I purchased this lens on ebay about a week ago and noticed it's starting to show some oil on the blades that I think the unusually warm weather we had for a couple days may have caused it to run. I did not see it when I first received it and the seller has offered me a full refund. The problem is it's in great condition and came with the box and lens pouch and I got a reasonably good deal. Do I return it or try cleaning the blades myself? I have done blades before but they were on less expensive lenses. Is it possible for some of the blades not to open and close properly or will they all be the same?

Nov 10, 2015 at 05:18 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax C/Y 28mm f2.8 oil on blades

I guess it depends on how good the deal was and how well it preforms otherwise, but I can tell you that there's nothing terribly difficult about taking the MM Distagon 28 apart and putting it back together, if you've done other non-FLE lenses.

Nov 10, 2015 at 05:37 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax C/Y 28mm f2.8 oil on blades

Do you know of a video I could watch? I paid $235 for the lens in probably a 9 condition.

Nov 10, 2015 at 05:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax C/Y 28mm f2.8 oil on blades

Sounds like a good price. I'd take it in to my local repair shop and they'd do it for me, for about $60. I used to do this stuff myself, but not for many years as I prefer to have it done by somebody that knows what's going on. For example, many Contax Zeiss lenses have their mount screws secured by a dab of glue. That makes it easy to strip the head. OTOH, if you expect this, then you can soften the glue with a bit of locally applied heat, before applying torque.

Nov 10, 2015 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.