FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Eride
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Just spent the past week in Banff, some amazing conditions right now!
1) Lake Louise
Louise Long Expo by Erik McRitchie, on Flickr
2) Herbert Lake
Frosty by Erik McRitchie, on Flickr
3) Peyto Lake
Peyto by Erik McRitchie, on Flickr
4)Lake Louise
LL by Erik McRitchie, on Flickr
5) Mistaya Canyon
Mistaya Canyon by Erik McRitchie, on Flickr

Nov 10, 2015 at 01:47 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Hi Erik,

Some great scenes here, well composed shots. But the processing is off just a bit. Maybe your monitor is out of calibration? Most of the blues have an odd tone to them, they almost look greenish which is not right. Obviously Peyto Lake will have a teal color to it, but not the sky in all of the shots. Also in #1 and 2, the clouds are blown a bit. And 1 last, in #5, the sky in real life will not translate from as light as it is to almost black at the top like that. I would even out the sky in it, or perhaps even crop half of it off as it doesn't add anything to the shot. Maybe go to a 4:5 format crop on it. I like the water movement though the water in it also might look better being more white than cyanish.

Jim

Nov 10, 2015 at 03:09 AM
Eride
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Thanks for the feedback Jim, I recently calibrated so that's not the issue. Not sure I see the greenish tint you are talking about, agree totally with the blown out clouds a bit in 1 and 2. In 5 I was using a .9, and a .6 gnd to even exposure caused the darker sky at the top. I'll take a look and see what I can do. Thanks again.

JimFox wrote:
Hi Erik,

Some great scenes here, well composed shots. But the processing is off just a bit. Maybe your monitor is out of calibration? Most of the blues have an odd tone to them, they almost look greenish which is not right. Obviously Peyto Lake will have a teal color to it, but not the sky in all of the shots. Also in #1 and 2, the clouds are blown a bit. And 1 last, in #5, the sky in real life will not translate from as light as it is to almost black at the top like that. I would
...Show more

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Like the composition in #1, 3 and 5 quite a bit. However the top right hand corner in all those shots are a bit blown out. You know the rest.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:21 PM
xjtian
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Love the foreground water movement and the directional light hitting the trees on the right in #5. I agree with Jim that it would look much better with the top cropped down some, the sky isn't quite interesting enough to cover half the frame IMO.

Nov 10, 2015 at 01:34 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Lovely images! I've always visited in mid-summer--this looks so peaceful this time of year.

Nov 10, 2015 at 01:37 PM
barrywinnipeg

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Those are some really great shots of our favorite vacation area.

Esp like the first one of Lake Louise. Where did you shoot from?

Looks like from the top of the Chateau but looks too good to be shot thru a window and I think the only
balcony is at the other end. Oops, I looked at your flickr and I see there are balconies at both ends.

Nov 10, 2015 at 06:40 PM
Eride
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

barrywinnipeg wrote:
Those are some really great shots of our favorite vacation area.

Esp like the first one of Lake Louise. Where did you shoot from?

Looks like from the top of the Chateau but looks too good to be shot thru a window and I think the only
balcony is at the other end. Oops, I looked at your flickr and I see there are balconies at both ends.

Thanks so much! I actually shot that from the roof of the Chateau, called in a few favors to gain access. It's really the only vantage point you can get that view not through a window.

Nov 10, 2015 at 06:43 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

thanks for showing. Great shots and the PP is spot on.
This would be my next destination/

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:44 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Amazing images. thanks for showing. I particularly like nr 4. I wonder how early in the morning your shot this picture.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:44 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Banff Lake Louise Early Winter

Nugeny, did you forget you commented already?!

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:02 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.