Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wheelchair Tennis

Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wheelchair Tennis

For the past three years, I've photographed the International Tennis Federation Wheelchair Doubles Masters tournament in Mission Viejo, California. Not many folks follow wheelchair tennis, but it's a sport that truly merits attention of tennis fans. At the highest level, these athletes are incredibly gifted and talented.

Each year I manage to get at least one photograph that is something like this one here: Aniek Van Koot preparing to hit a backhand. Before this day's matches, a local photographer was hosting a sports shooting class at this venue, and I was asked to provide any insights I could to help them shoot this sport. One piece of advice I gave them was to look closely at each of their images, as you never know when you might have a nice shot within what might appear to be something ordinary at first glance. So this is a tight crop of an ordinary, though powerful, backhand. I love that the body of the ball is frozen, while the fuzz still shows rotation.

Nov 10, 2015 at 01:11 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wheelchair Tennis

Very cool...and different.

Chris

Nov 10, 2015 at 08:18 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wheelchair Tennis

nice shot, I have to believe hitting tennis balls from a wheel chair would be very difficult

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wheelchair Tennis

I have to believe hitting tennis balls from a wheel chair would be very difficult

I think you're right. The athletes are strapped very tightly to their chairs, across their laps as well as their lower legs. So all of the torque needed for a reach or a strong hit comes directly from their back muscles. There is much more strain on their backs than those of able-bodied athletes. And the best of them are very, very strong in the upper bodies, and can hit the ball a ton. So the torque required for them is even more pronounced.

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:22 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.