Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

Hi, I am considering to use the Fuji X system (X-T10 and/or X-T1) for my Unit Stills Photography work on film sets. The main reason is to lighten my load. I just performed two tests using just the electronic shutter (quiet operation is a must on film sets) using two different types of continuous lights (Tungsten and compact fluorescent, have yet to test HMi's). The results are below but in short, the max shutter speed usable without banding is 1/125 sec. At 1/180 sec and faster there is significant banding and the result is unusable. 1/125 is basically on the very low end I tend to use when shooting actors on set. 99% of the time I shoot at 1/160 or faster to prevent motion blur.

(Please disregard color and exposure, also I increased contrast/clarity a bit on the tungsten shots, aperture was fixed and iso variable)

Would be AWESOME if someone did this same test with the Sony A7RII.

Nov 09, 2015 at 12:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

Surprised there is still some banding with tungsten, but given it's AC power, it might still affect light output. Not surprised by fluorescent. LED will depend on how it's made. Not sure about HMI.

I found some possibly relevant info here: http://www.lovehighspeed.com/lighting-for-high-speed/

It seems, if tungsten is on DC rather than AC, you won't have a banding problem. Or, if tungsten is very high output, it might also be fine. The link suggests 2k and higher because the filament doesn't have time to cool during the AC 'off' phase. The link also suggests some Kinoflo might be OK. Looks like you will have to test lighting specific to each set to determine whether or not you'll get acceptable results.

What we really need is global electronic shutters. It will eliminate the banding problem, but it won't necessarily allow higher shutter speeds without side effects typical of shooting high shutter speeds now with mechanical shutters. This is all dependent on the light source. I.e. shooting above 1/125 tends to be problematic with fluorescents due to the AC cycle, resulting in inconsistent exposures and WB frame to frame and more effort to fix in post.

Nov 09, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

Tested with LED bulb and it was the same as the CFL. The tungsten was a 1k watt Tota Light.

To be 100% on the safe side 1/125 sec is fine. Which is not too bad. I will test it with stronger lights to see if I can use 1/180 sec or faster.

Nowadays typically on set, lower light levels are used at night and also a lot of practical lights (regular bulbs) so on night and or interior shots I would have to use 1/125 sec as my max shutter speed.

That is ok but would prefer a max of 1/250 sec.

Nov 09, 2015 at 04:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

Good point about the trends in set lighting. My understanding is LEDs can be all over the place. There are LED fixtures designed not to flicker, specifically for film/video applications. Dimming seems to cause problems, too.

Nov 09, 2015 at 05:08 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

However fast you set your shutter, it still operates over 1/15 second overall.

Nov 11, 2015 at 03:34 PM
photoelectric
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

I've noticed the banding issue with my X-T10's electronic shutter, but it was completely expected, as is the rolling shutter effect and inability to use flash. I'd love to know if you've done any tests comparing noise and dynamic range of photos made with identical settings/parameters using mechanical and then electronic shutter. Despite the banding, I've found that I can use electronic shutter mostly at home in dim conditions, as the banding only becomes visible in certain rooms under certain lights--and I can see it right away and switch to mechanical shutter as needed.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:44 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X Electronic Shutter Test (banding)

I believe you're going to get this result from any electronic shutter. It's just capturing the 60 cycle AC power sine wave. If you did this in Europe, it would stop at 1/50 of a second since they use 50 cycle AC.

Nov 15, 2015 at 06:40 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.