New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

I recently noticed my 5D3 doesn't activate the AF assist light on my two Canon 600EX-rt or 580EXII. I tried the 600EX on my 7D2 and 1Dx and the red AF assist light works on those bodies. I tried to clean the contacts on the 5D3 hotshoe but that didn't help. Has anyone else had this problem? I've checked all the settings on the 5D3, they are consistent with the other cameras. I'm thinking I'll have to call CPS on this one but thought I'd check here first.

Nov 09, 2015 at 12:42 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

Check this, it Needs to be in 1 shot and not servo mode.

Nov 10, 2015 at 09:49 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

Or you shut if off in the programming by mistake.

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

Thanks for the replies. The camera is in one shot mode and AF assist is on in both the camera and the flash. I'll go through the settings again but most likely I'm going to have to call Canon and see what's up.

Nov 10, 2015 at 03:53 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

You say you checked the settings in the camera, but you didn't say what settings you checked.

Can you confirm what settings you checked?

Nov 11, 2015 at 01:02 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
You say you checked the settings in the camera, but you didn't say what settings you checked.

Can you confirm what settings you checked?

The camera is in one shot AF, single center point, one shot drive. The exposure is set to 100 ISO, 160s, f11. I set the flash function in the camera menu to enable AF assist beam (cf8 enabled) and verified that it was the same on the flash itself. The flashes all work properly on my other camera bodies. I'm not sure what I can do differently on the 5D3 to get the flash assist beam to work. Maybe I should try a different lens, the 16-35 is on there now. Just swapped lenses and took the camera into a dark room. No change, the assist beam doesn't come on. Guess I'll call Canon.

Nov 11, 2015 at 09:03 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

If you know someone with a 5D3, you might check your flash on it, and then sit down and compare every setting on the menus, changing your camera to match the other working 5D3. I ended up finding an obscure setting that made a difference on an entirely different kind of problem, and avoided sending in the camera. You might even be able to do the compare at a camera store if you can get to one that has a demo 5d3 available. Right now it does seem likely to be a camera issue, but it still might be a setting.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:40 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

Roland W wrote:
If you know someone with a 5D3, you might check your flash on it, . . .

Or take note of your settings and reset the camera to default, then test the flash.

Good luck

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

while you may be in One Shot, if you happen to use BBF and have set that button to enable AI SERVO while you are holding the BBF button, this could be it

it is a small chance but worth checking

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:14 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

I as thinking of resetting the camera to see what happens. Maybe after this weekend, I have a couple jobs I need to do first. I do use BBF, but I don't think I have it set to change the AF though I will certainly check on that. It doesn't act like it is in servo using BBF when I have the camera set to one shot mode. However, I do use AF Servo often switching between one shot and servo. Good ideas anyway. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2015 at 01:25 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

Resetting the camera to defaults does not necessarily put everything back to the as shipped condition, and button assignments are I think one of those things that stays set.

Nov 11, 2015 at 01:35 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

Roland W wrote:
Resetting the camera to defaults does not necessarily put everything back to the as shipped condition, and button assignments are I think one of those things that stays set.

OK, I'll be sure to watch for that. The camera is packed away right now, I'm heading to the coast for a funeral on Thurs and then to an away football playoff game Friday evening. I'll look at it if I have some time in the evenings but I hope to be out on the beach taking some shots.

Nov 11, 2015 at 02:01 PM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D3 and Flash AF Assist

I just checked my 7D2 and 5D3 and even if you have the camera on One Shot but have the AF-On button or the * button programmed for BBF and within the sub menu you have enable AI Servo, the AF light on the Flash will NOT fire - go back into the sub menu and choose the (-) setting (i.e. nothing) and it will then fire

Nov 11, 2015 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.