Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Withdrawn: Strobist Kit 3X Sunpak 2x Phottix Xtras

BPochman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Withdrawn: Strobist Kit 3X Sunpak 2x Phottix Xtras

Item updated in the last 24 hours Item price reduced in the last 24 hours   3X Sunpak Pz5000 Strobist Flash 2X Phottix Strato II Trans Recv Canon Xtras

Withdrawn

Price: $175.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 9+ Shows little or no signs of wear
Shipping instructions: Price Net to me (ship by Priority Mail, payment by PayPal)

I have a very handy "strobist" type manual flash kit that includes external radio triggers and internal optical triggers, is very compact and easy to set up and work with (relative to changing the power in 1/3 stop increments and changing the zoom on the flash units) - and is quite powerful for the size.

Included are three Sunpak Pz5000 AF (for Canon) shoe mount flash units that are perfect for sophisticated strobist (manual control off camera) flash work. I have used this set for years instead of monolights. I tried Alien Bees, but they didn't work as well as these did for what I shot in my small home studio and elsewhere. All of them are in 9 to 9.5 condition. An instruction book is included. No batteries are included (I use Eneloop's and am keeping them). Each flash has it's own Veltex sleeve to protect it when stored.

Also included is a Phottix Strato II Multi radio trigger set (1 transmitter and 1 receiver) for Canon manual flash units. They are in 9.5 condition. They do not do ETTL II. For that you need their Odin units. I have more Strato II units for my LumoPro 180's (and also have Odin units for my Canon 580EX II flash units. The Strato II units are very highly rated.

As to using them, you only need one receiver, as the Sunpak pz5000's have a really good built in optical flash (see below) that will trigger from the one flash set off by the Strato II radio set. The units have the canon 5 pin foot. Each one has a veltex storage sleeve. The instruction book is included. You can buy additional Receivers, if needed.

The only reason I'm selling them is that I recently got three LumoPro 180 manual flash units, and don't need to keep the SunPaks as backups. These Strato II units were my backups (before I got the Odin units) and they work really well with the Sunpak Pz5000 flash.

Besides having the same power as a Canon 580EXII flash (I verified it on a flash meter), there are 3 reasons that the SunPak Px5000 is great for manual (or strobist, as many call it) flash work:

1. I has a (lighted) LCD screen on the back and you can easily/quickly adjust the power in 1/3 stop increments. On top of that, the increments are accurate and repeatable (tested on Sekonic L558 meter).

2. It has a sensitive optical slave built into it, that can be turned on and off, so that it triggers from any small flash and does not require adding any type of slave foot to the flash mount.

3. It has a wide zoom range which is also easily adjusted from the flash LCD screen. I used this a lot.

The units are set for Canon, but that doesn't matter, as ther are used off camera. Included is an instruction book, and veltex sleeves to store them in.

Also included are a handy group of varied brackets with stroboframe flash foot clamps that allow you to use the flash units and triggers in many different configurations. Two of them can either be mounted on included wood bases or on light stands (not included), while the third can be used anywhere. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the brackets, as they are easier to show than describe. The whole system is designed to be very compact, versatile, easy-to-use, and perform well as a system. I've also added a small Tamrac shoulder bag that all the stuff fits perfectly in.

All in all, this is a great manual flash set at the price. For reference, new LumoPro 180's are $150 each, while used Sunpak Flash units in mintish condition for Canon seem to go for $50-75, and a Phottix Strato II transmitter and receiver set is around $110. The bracket set is highly customized, but would probably cost $50-60 or so for all the pieces before any customization, and the bag would cost $30-40.

Shipping will be by Priority Mail (to the continental US only) and payment by PayPal. The price shown will be net to me. I live near Seattle (98040).

Final details can be worked out via PM, which I prefer because of the way my email program handles the regular ones without date/time info. I'm retired and around home most of the time, and will respond to most PM's promptly.

Nov 09, 2015 at 11:22 AM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.