New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

Hi!

I am considering switching to the X-T1 for my On Set work and need the gear to be absolutely silent for working with actors during filming. I already tested the silent shutter with the X-T10 and it works perfectly I assume the X-T1 is the same.

I am considering all or several of the following lenses and need to know if any makes too much noise while autofocusing and or regular use.

1. 18-55mm: tested it, its perfect
2. 50-140mm: read in a few places that it makes a weird annoying sound all the time. Have not used it.
3. 35mm f1.4: used it, seemed fine
4. 56mm f1.2: have not used it, also wondering about the low light AF accuracy
5. 90mm f2: no clue about this lens

Any other comments regarding these lenses are welcome! Wish I could rent them all to test them but not lens / camera rental company ship where I live

thanks in advance!

Nov 09, 2015 at 09:05 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

If the 35/1.4 is fine for you, then all the rest will be fine. It's the loudest of all that you listed. All the primes are incredible optically. The 90/2 is darn near perfect and the 56/1.2 is outstanding.

Nov 09, 2015 at 09:08 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

Sneakyracer wrote:
Hi!

2. 50-140mm: read in a few places that it makes a weird annoying sound all the time. Have not used it.

This lens has optical image stabilization which can make some clicking/whirring sounds. As Jordan said, the 35mm f/1.4 lens is by far the loudest so if that is good for you, then you are fine with the others.

Nov 09, 2015 at 09:12 AM
Wm. Manther
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

Regarding your question #2: If one does not have constant AF turned on the lens doesn't make weird noises. Constant AF drains the battery and causes the focus motor to constantly keep focusing. That may be the noise someone heard.

As far as low light AF accuracy, that depends on which focusing paramemters are set in the menu and which sensors are being used. Phase AF is very accurate in low light whereas contrast AF needs, as the name states, more contrast to AF, which may not be available in low light. Once again low light AF accuracy depends on user set parameters, lighting conditions, which AF sensors in the viewfinder/LCD screen are used and if the X-T1 has the most current firmware update.

The most noise made with any of the lenses you have listed, you have already addressed with the shutter/flash off settings. People (actors & film crew) breathing and moving around is probably creating more noise/distraction than the X-T1 on silent mode will ever make. The X-T1 has the same quiet mode as the X-T10. I have both cameras and there is no difference in their silent operation.

I have or had all the lenses listed except for the 90mm and have never noticed any weird or troublesome noise during auto focusing.

Nov 09, 2015 at 09:16 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

Thx for the info!

The 18-55 (and I assume the others do this as well) makes noise while stopping down aperture while shooting. Wide open, absolutely silent. I tend to shoot wide open most of the time so no issues here.

Nov 09, 2015 at 01:00 PM
Big Cheese
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

I check the 35 f1.4 again to make sure it is ok for you. It is one of the louder lenses I've used in recent years. Quite a buzzy motor compared to most recent lenses, which tend to have stepper or USM drives these days.

Nov 09, 2015 at 06:49 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

I've shot on set in silent mode with all of those lenses. All quiet enough to be shooting in even the quietest of sets without problem.

Nov 09, 2015 at 07:24 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.