FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

Kisutch
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

My replacement has made it 3 y; I wasn't knocking the Einstein, more saying that anything can break in hard use and PB is backed by great service. I was thrilled with mine cause I was able to take risks, left it out in waterproof housing for days, stormy boat rides, etc, and then got a free replacement when it started having issues.

I thought the Ranger was supposed to be rugged, ski photog Dan Carr used them.

jzucker wrote:
I've used and traveled with my einsteins for 3 years and have never had a problem with them. Build quality is head and shoulders better than elinchrom which is the only other semi-pro rig I've used.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

Sonyartisan wrote:
Just to update this thread, I also went with the Rovelight after talking to several people who have owned/used both, even though I was 95% convinced about the Einstein. The Rovelight went on sale for $399 shipped around Black Friday and I made an impulse buy. The $350+ I saved over the Einstein + Vagabond + shipping allowed me to purchase a heavy duty lightstand, modifier, and HSS capable trigger (Pixel Kings) so I now have a complete setup much sooner than I would have otherwise.

I still do believe that the Einstein is a better overall system and light, especially
...Show more

Absolutely. I don't do any studio work but if I did it would probably be einsteins. I own a huge huge manfroto light stand so in cases when I do need to use the rove on a stand with a soft box I break that out and it works amazing. Stable and never any problems.

I use the rovelight daily. Comparing them to the Einstein, not only do you not have to buy a vagabond, but you don't have to lug a vagabond either. The pricing for the robe is just insane though.

It all depends on your use though. As some have mentioned a vagabond may be a good system on a light stand. I don't even use light stands so the rove provides me almost the perfect system, at an almost unconscionable price. Very happy to have it as an option.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:07 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

Andrew Pece Photography wrote:
Absolutely. I don't do any studio work but if I did it would probably be einsteins. I own a huge huge manfroto light stand so in cases when I do need to use the rove on a stand with a soft box I break that out and it works amazing. Stable and never any problems.

I use the rovelight daily. Comparing them to the Einstein, not only do you not have to buy a vagabond, but you don't have to lug a vagabond either. The pricing for the robe is just insane though.

It all depends on your use
...Show more

I never mount my vagabond on the lightstand. It sits on the ground or if i'm in the water, I hang it off the knob on the stand. Never had an issue. It's never been a burden. Can you call Rove up and get a 48hr replacement if something goes wrong? Obviously not. The chinese lights are great at their price point but service is the big issue. I wouldn't buy anything that you couldn't get a 2-3 day turnaround on. I just can't afford to be put in that position. Also, you are buying from a company that can and will change the specs continually as prices fluctuate on components. Paul Buff doesn't do that.

Again, I'm not against them in general and will be buying an AD360 II from Ed Tang at cheetahstand.com but when you go with the cheapest price as you do with $399 lights from adorama, there are tradeoffs.

And the vagabond has worked great for me. I can power 2 lights, charge my phone or tablet and I've even used them in a pinch when we had a 24hr power outage in my neighborhood. I can pick up my vagabond with 2 fingers. I hardly consider it lugging. I'd rather the weight *NOT* be built into the head. Again, if you are not doing studio photography and putting your lights up on a boom, it's not a consideration.

Dec 22, 2015 at 01:43 PM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

jzucker wrote:
I never mount my vagabond on the lightstand. It sits on the ground or if i'm in the water, I hang it off the knob on the stand. Never had an issue. It's never been a burden. Can you call Rove up and get a 48hr replacement if something goes wrong? Obviously not. The chinese lights are great at their price point but service is the big issue. I wouldn't buy anything that you couldn't get a 2-3 day turnaround on. I just can't afford to be put in that position. Also, you are buying from a company that can
...Show more

Well, when I said lugging maybe I was talking about myself. I use a handheld light to light interiors. For me a vagabond would be lugging in a big way. For others not. There is no way I personally could ever have a cable coming off a light it just would not work making 30 photos in two hours and on the move.

On the failure comment, first thing I will say is one could have a backup rove unit for the same price as a single einsten and vagabond. I mean that is not even close when it comes to "reliability". Second, if my gear stops functioning, getting it back and going in two or three days is not going to help me at all. I will be standing there needing to make photos and I wont have it. A backup is the only true insurance for myself and I think the rove, when considering the fact you can have a backup on hand at the same price, absolutely demolishes the einsten in this regard. An example, you and I have both drooped our lights, spent the same amount of money about 800, and I'm still working and you aren't. Which system wins?

Everyone's got different needs though. If you need to be booming lights in the studio I'm sure nobody is recommending roves. They are called rovelights for a reason.

Dec 22, 2015 at 07:11 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

jzucker wrote:
I never mount my vagabond on the lightstand. It sits on the ground or if i'm in the water, I hang it off the knob on the stand. Never had an issue. It's never been a burden. Can you call Rove up and get a 48hr replacement if something goes wrong? Obviously not. The chinese lights are great at their price point but service is the big issue. I wouldn't buy anything that you couldn't get a 2-3 day turnaround on. I just can't afford to be put in that position. Also, you are buying from a company that can
...Show more

FWIW I have heard that the service with the Rovelight is excellent as long as you get in touch with the right person/department (Helen). The last reference to an issue I saw had a brand new replacement RL sent out immediately and they were keen on figuring out the issue with the broken one, even when it was nothing substantial (can't remember exactly what). I think Adorama knows lots of photographers and pros are interested in these lights and are making an effort to go above and beyond. The revamped trigger works great and they are sending them at no cost to anyone that has issues with the original.

I also agree with the post regarding cords/vagabond potentially getting in the way, at least in some cases. While it may not seem like much, many people I've talked to who moved from an Einstein or Pack and head system love the freedom and simplicity of the RL, and at only 1lb more than the Einstein. So far my experience is the same. I can literally pull the Rovelight out of my bag, press the power button, and it's ready to fire. The first time I used it I didn't have a lightstand with me. I pulled the RL out and placed it on my backpack at a 45 degree angle towards a large boulder on the beach about 20ft away, climbed up with my girlfriend and used my remote shutter app to adjust aperture, SS, etc and the RL trigger to adjust output. Super easy and effective with virtually no setup time. HSS also worked great

It is incredible for the cost and it's portability to power ratio seems unmatched. In the studio the Einstein seems unmatched for the price/quality/color consistency (based on my research) and I plan to get one eventually. But for a portable powerful light setup I haven't seen anything else that comes close to the RL. Possibly the Baja B6, but that is also twice the cost just like the Einstein + Vagabond. Very happy with my purchase so far, can't wait to use it more.

Dec 22, 2015 at 08:01 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

On the failure comment, first thing I will say is one could have a backup rove unit for the same price as a single einsten and vagabond. I mean that is not even close when it comes to "reliability". Second, if my gear stops functioning, getting it back and going in two or three days is not going to help me at all. I will be standing there needing to make photos and I wont have it. A backup is the only true insurance for myself and I think the rove, when considering the fact you can have
...Show more

You don't need a vagabond for each einstein you have. My einsteins were $499, $100 more than your lights and I can use them in studio or on location. With the size stand I take on location, i'm not going to risk a heavier light up on a boom. You also have to factor in the prices of the light stands necessary to hold the heavier lights. I already have a pair of vagabonds so when I bought my 3 additional einsteins - giving me 5 total - I didn't spend $800 each. That's flawed logic you're using for the comparison.

And frankly, the einsteins have been rock solid. Have never failed. Neither have the vagabonds. Maybe adorama is providing great service, i dunno but I'd rather trust a manufacturer with a track record as opposed to a photography store when it comes to servicing and supporting the lights.

And looking at the transmitter, I'm not seeing how you can turn on and off your lights. I can remotely control every parameter of up to 16 einsteins. I use the feature all the time.

Dec 22, 2015 at 09:12 PM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

Sonyartisan wrote:
FWIW I have heard that the service with the Rovelight is excellent as long as you get in touch with the right person/department (Helen). The last reference to an issue I saw had a brand new replacement RL sent out immediately and they were keen on figuring out the issue with the broken one, even when it was nothing substantial (can't remember exactly what). I think Adorama knows lots of photographers and pros are interested in these lights and are making an effort to go above and beyond. The revamped trigger works great and they are sending them at no
...Show more

Yeah, everyone shoots different. For me I have a camera mounted on a tripod and my rovelight and I move around homes. I can carry it all in one trip one shot to the next. A cable would just be an absolute monstrosity of a problem.

My understanding, you get a vagabond and a Einstein and you're in the hole 900 before shipping. That's two rovelights and one nice cstand. So you'd have an onsite backup, and a stand at the same price.

This Chinese vs USA argument has been around a while. I remember when pocket wizards were untouchable for years. Along came the cheap yongnuo alternatives. I was curious so I bought the yn 602 and a backup set, which was a grand total of 60 dollars for the two sets! I'm still using that first set of rf 602 10 years later... Or however long it's been since they came out I forget, and they never fail. And I have had the backup set as insurance the whole time. And now, guess what, pocket wizards are much cheaper. Not only that, there are reports of yongnuos beating pw in range tests.There is a good one in YouTube actually. And, there are many professionals I know of that use the yongnuo stuff because of its reliability. Same with my rovelight so far. I use it 3 to 4 days a week for the last 5 or 6 months without a single problem except for having to use my yongnuo stuff with it, which I actually like/need because the range on those triggers is so good and I need to go through multiple walls all the time.

Anyway, nobody is arguing einsteins aren't great in studio. I saw reliability brought up and happen to think for the price, the rove gives you an onsite, professionally backed up alternative, at the same price. That's much more reliable than having to wait for a service department to repair something for you.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:07 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

Nope. $500 for the einstein and $239 for the vagabond. Not sure why you feel the need to exaggerate the prices to make your point?

Yeah, everyone shoots different. For me I have a camera mounted on a tripod and my rovelight and I move around homes. I can carry it all in one trip one shot to the next. A cable would just be an absolute monstrosity of a problem.

My understanding, you get a vagabond and a Einstein and you're in the hole 900 before shipping. That's two rovelights and one nice cstand. So you'd have an onsite backup, and a stand at the same price.

This Chinese vs USA argument has been around a while. I remember when pocket wizards
...Show more

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:37 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

jzucker wrote:
You don't need a vagabond for each einstein you have. My einsteins were $499, $100 more than your lights and I can use them in studio or on location. With the size stand I take on location, i'm not going to risk a heavier light up on a boom. You also have to factor in the prices of the light stands necessary to hold the heavier lights. I already have a pair of vagabonds so when I bought my 3 additional einsteins - giving me 5 total - I didn't spend $800 each. That's flawed logic you're using for the
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

This Chinese vs USA argument has been around a while. I remember when pocket wizards
...Show more

I think all three of us are subconsciously trying to justify our purchases of the light we went with, when each clearly has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. I don't think any of us have extensively compared both lights but that comparison has been made by several others I've spoken to and the results seem pretty clear.

The following is based only on what I have heard from those who have used both the Einstein + Vagabond and Rovelight.

-Both lights are very well made. "USA vs. China" is not relevant here.

-The Rovelight has had very few reported problems besides the V1 trigger issues. The V2 trigger works flawlessly in all cases I've seen but one.

-Service for both lights is excellent.

-Having cords and a battery pack is not that much of a hassle but those who have done both without question state that it is "easier" not having cords and a battery pack (no surprise here really). The weight difference at the top of the stand is also not significant. Obviously less is always ideal but if your light stand can handle 4.5lbs then 5.5lbs shouldn't be a deal breaker. I mounted the Rovelight + 4lb parabolic softbox on one of the cheapest lightstands available (2.5lb StudioPro stands with a 5/8" aluminum stem and no weight rating). Profoto B1's are some of the most, if not the most, popular on location strobes available, weighing in at 6.61lbs.

-For Studio use the Einstein is clearly better. More power, a built-in fan, MUCH more powerful modeling light, and better color accuracy/consistency shot to shot from the only test I've seen. Recycle time is also much faster when plugged in than the Rovelight which can only use battery with so-so recycle time. Also, more support for third party devices like the excellent Cyber Commander. Battery life is similar on both at 400-500 shots at full power.

-My understanding is that the modeling light on the Einstein is unusable with the Vagabond as it drains the battery extremely quickly. The RL's is significantly less powerful but I have used it for over an hour, while taking several (100+) high output photos and didn't even put a dent in the battery.

-Pricing: The Einstein + Vagabond Mini is $758.37 shipped. Very close to twice the price of the Rovelight. This is notably significant, the current RL pricing is simply insane for what you're getting. PCB never has sales (I asked) and charges for shipping. The "backup for the same price" argument is very close to being valid. In my case the money saved allowed me to get a high quality lightstand, modifier, and HSS trigger. While having the Vagabond for things like laptops, a second Einstein, etc. is intriguing, this just means more cords and more power drain, not what I'm looking for in a "run and gun" strobe.

-Both are excellent lights. The RL is a designated on location strobe that can do a decent job as a studio light. The Einstein is a studio strobe that can do a decent job as an on location strobe.

One last thing that I don't think was mentioned is the Rovelight replacement batteries are only $150 shipped, are extremely small/portable, and can be swapped out instantly. $550 total for 1,000-5,000+ on location shots. Insane.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:08 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

jzucker wrote:
Nope. $500 for the einstein and $239 for the vagabond. Not sure why you feel the need to exaggerate the prices to make your point?

He was off on the pricing but his point is virtually valid. The Einstein + Vagabond Mini is $758.37 shipped, compared to $399.95 shipped for the Rovelight, very close to being able to buy a complete backup Rovelight (which also gives you an extra battery doubling the shot capacity of the Vagabond if used with a single RL). This is one of the main reasons I went with the Rovelight. At $399 you are getting a ridiculous amount for your money and it allowed me to get a complete setup with stand, modifier, etc. much sooner than I would have otherwise. The holiday season was not friendly to my wallet but at least my family and girlfriend will be happy.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:13 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

Sonyartisan wrote:
He was off on the pricing but his point is virtually valid. The Einstein + Vagabond Mini is $758.37 shipped, compared to $399.95 shipped for the Rovelight, very close to being able to buy a complete backup Rovelight (which also gives you an extra battery doubling the shot capacity of the Vagabond if used with a single RL). This is one of the main reasons I went with the Rovelight. At $399 you are getting a ridiculous amount for your money and it allowed me to get a complete setup with stand, modifier, etc. much sooner than I would have
...Show more

I'm not talking about mounting on a lightstand. I'm talking about a boom stand. HUGE difference. And the point of the einstein + vagabond price is not valid. And again, why the need to exaggerate the price to make a point. That's lame. This is turning into a golf forum, lol.

I don't need to buy a vagabond for every einstein I buy. I have 2 vagabonds and they've lasted me 3 years so far. The internal battery is easily replaced if it wears out which so far it has not. I have 5 einsteins. No need to buy a vagabond for each einstein because 90% of the time on location, I use 2 lights. On those occasions when I use 3 or 4 lights, I take 2 vagabonds.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:49 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

jzucker wrote:
I'm not talking about mounting on a lightstand. I'm talking about a boom stand. HUGE difference. And the point of the einstein + vagabond price is not valid. And again, why the need to exaggerate the price to make a point. That's lame. This is turning into a golf forum, lol.

I don't need to buy a vagabond for every einstein I buy. I have 2 vagabonds and they've lasted me 3 years so far. The internal battery is easily replaced if it wears out which so far it has not. I have 5 einsteins. No need to buy a vagabond
...Show more

How is "the point of the Einstein + Vagabond price" not valid? They are literally almost double the price of the Rovelight as shown above. The exaggeration he made may or may not have been intentional, but his point still stands.

Nobody stated you needed to buy a Vagabond for each Einstein. I only stated that you can get twice the shots at full power with two Rovelights (or two RL batteries while keeping the second light as a backup) for virtually the same price as one Einstein + Vagabond. There is no arguing that.

Everything you've stated is completely subjective to your very specific use (boom + "90% of the time on location, I use 2 lights"). Nobody has argued that the Rovelight is better suited for a boom, a multi-light setup or that a Vagabond can't support two Einsteins. But the price difference is immense. Two Einstein's + a single Vagabond Mini is $1260.68 cents shipped compared to $790.90 cents for two Rovelights. With the Einstein's you only get 200-250 full powered shots compared to 500+ for the Rovelights and a modeling lamp that drains the VML very quickly (this is my understanding). Add in HSS, no cords, and the RL is clearly better suited, and literally designed, for outdoor on location shooting.

I'm all for having a good debate but it sounds like you're arguing for the sake of arguing, or work for PCB. Their products are incredible in their own right, nobody is stating otherwise. However, they are not universally superior and the price difference noted above is not debatable.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:32 AM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

There's a 400 vagabond and a 239 one. Depending on which one you decide to go with, you're at either 900 or 739. I'm not going to go check, but when I've used buff his shipping is always at least 20 bucks, so that brings the Einstein with mini to 760ish.

A rovelight is 400 with free shipping, at least when I bought mine.

But, "the point of the einstein + vagabond price is not valid" as you say. Ok. People are free to decide for themselves if that is a valid statement or not.

On your system you've spent roughly 3000 for 5 einsteins and two minis (can you plug all five in with only two minis?) Rovelight setup would run you 2000 for the 5 roves, and there would be a lot less equipment to deal with if that suits your style. You'd get many more shots out of the five roves and would not have people or yourself fumbling over chords potentially knocking over the equipment one day. And quite honestly, you're going to have much more leeway in terms of how far and where you can set your individual lights, and more convenience to move them independently. And all for a much lower price. But never mind all that because the point about the pricing is not valid.

Somebody commented....I'm Honestly not attempting to justify my purchase at all, just making a simple point that when costs are lower it gives you leverage in areas such as reliability because you can purchase multiple units for almost the same price in this case. I mean, this isn't 10 or 20 percent cheaper, it's almost half the frickin price. People may do what suits their needs but it's obviously a consideration.

So again, for the same price I have a rove go down, and I have a backup. My Einstein goes down and I'm stuck with my thumb up my ... Disputable. No. Not sure what we're going on about. You like einsteins. So do I actually. You use them. Great! Other people like roves and think they are much better suited for field work. Not the end of the world believe me! Take a deep breath man.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Ryan7

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

If you add in the triggers to get the full functionality of both systems you are looking at the following:

Einstein: $500 + $239 + $180 (cyber commander) + $30 (transceiver) = $949

Rovelight: $399 + $30 (cells II trigger) = $429

I guess you could go with the CyberSync™ Trigger Transmitter for $60 instead of the Cyber Commander for much lower funcionality but you are still looking at $829 for the Einstein set up

Dec 23, 2015 at 08:29 AM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

Ryan7 wrote:
If you add in the triggers to get the full functionality of both systems you are looking at the following:

Einstein: $500 + $239 + $180 (cyber commander) + $30 (transceiver) = $949

Rovelight: $399 + $30 (cells II trigger) = $429

I guess you could go with the CyberSync™ Trigger Transmitter for $60 instead of the Cyber Commander for much lower funcionality but you are still looking at $829 for the Einstein set up

What do you mean by "full functionality"? What functionality does the Cells II trigger offer that the included Rovelight trigger doesn't? HSS? The included V2 trigger allows remote power adjustment, modeling light control, and remote triggering and works very well at distances up to and over 100'

I didn't even consider this before, but am just now realizing the Einstein doesn't include any way to adjust power remotely or trigger it. What is the cheapest way to get power adjustment with the Einstein? It appears the Transceiver is $30. While the Cyber Commander is an incredible unit, it is almost $200 shipped compared to the Rovelights included trigger. The $60 Cyber Sync trigger transmitter doesn't appear to offer power adjustment.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:12 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

I recently bought a Rovelight after the updated remotes got here. Yesterday I used it on my first paid shoot- an on-location senior shoot. It was a really sunny day and I loved having all that power to counter-balance the sunlight as my rim light. I had the Rovelight in my Westcott Apollo Orb octobox and I was surprised at just how mobile the whole setup was. It was like a dream how easy it went. When I was using multiple flashes in the Orb in the past it felt more unwieldy than with the Rovelight. I wasn't using that heavy duty of a stand but having the slightly heavier Rovelight that is centered vs two speedlights winging out to each side seemed more stable actually. At least at the heights I was using the stand. The mount always felt stable and it was easy to just pick up the stand and sandbag with my camera around my neck and go. I'm not a Buff hater. I have Buff products and there is a LOT TO like about PCB but I don't see Buff + Vagabond being that easy to pick up and carry around like I did - over the shoulder, parallel to the ground etc.. And the Rovelight was really consistent.

It's has pretty much solved all of my outdoor location lighting issues I believe.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:08 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

DigMeTX wrote:
I recently bought a Rovelight after the updated remotes got here. Yesterday I used it on my first paid shoot- an on-location senior shoot. It was a really sunny day and I loved having all that power to counter-balance the sunlight as my rim light. I had the Rovelight in my Westcott Apollo Orb octobox and I was surprised at just how mobile the whole setup was. It was like a dream how easy it went. When I was using multiple flashes in the Orb in the past it felt more unwieldy than with the Rovelight. I wasn't using that
...Show more

Impossible. As noted in the discussion above the Rovelight is far too heavy to mount on a boom, which is the only way they were meant to be used. The Einstein at one pound less is the maximum weight that can be supported. Not sure why you would buy cheap Chinese crap anyways.

But seriously, thanks for the feedback. Very happy to hear as this is exactly how I intend to use my Rovelight. Also, not sure if you have used used an aftermarket trigger for HSS functionality but it works great with the Pixel Kings I picked up for only $90 (a bargain for something that supports HSS with Sony Alpha cameras. Flash support is still abysmal)

Here is an interesting thread where lots of users seem to be using the Rovelight (and many other great strobes) getting phenomenal shots:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1427264&page=15

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:59 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

I'm using the Phottix Odin for triggering and I was shooting HSS most of the time - between 1/2000 and 1/3000. I had a set of the original Pixel Kings and they broke after a few months so I sent them back and applied the money towards the Odin set, which I've been very happy with.

I really expected it to feel a lot heavier and more top heavy carrying it around than it did. The mount is solid after you lock it down.

Dec 24, 2015 at 02:00 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Einstein E640 + Vagabond Mini vs. Rovelight vs. Interfit S1

DigMeTX wrote:
I'm using the Phottix Odin for triggering and I was shooting HSS most of the time - between 1/2000 and 1/3000. I had a set of the original Pixel Kings and they broke after a few months so I sent them back and applied the money towards the Odin set, which I've been very happy with.

I really expected it to feel a lot heavier and more top heavy carrying it around than it did. The mount is solid after you lock it down.

The Phottix Odin looks awesome but at $300 I decided to try the Kings for less than 1/3 of the cost. Hopefully mine hold up better than yours. So far they have been flawless. I agree about the weight. Feels solid but not unwieldy. I have actually been handholding it with an extended (left) arm with the stock reflector for 5+ minutes at a time. I'm looking for a cheap "grip" solution to do this more easily. The only thing I have come up with is something like what they use for metal detectors with the forearm rest, modified with a 5/8" stud.

Dec 24, 2015 at 02:15 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.