FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · First shots of Omega watch with new macro lens

ELinder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First shots of Omega watch with new macro lens

I just received my first ever macro lens, an Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro, so i thought I'd try it out on my dad's Omega watch. I can see this becoming an addicting pastime.

One question, I tried walking the focus from the bottom to the top of the watch in order to focus stack, but ran into a problem. The field of view changed enough that I couldn't align the images properly. Is this a case when people begin to use focus rails? I never ran into this problem when focus stacking subjects much farther away.

Erich

Nov 08, 2015 at 12:58 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First shots of Omega watch with new macro lens

Lovely captures - congrats on the lens.

Re the focus stacking. Might depend on how you were doing the stacking. The FOV does get smaller as you go into the subject but stacking software such as helicon or zerene resizes the images as part of the stacking process. This does mean though that you need to check the framing at the furthest focus point before you start the stack. I'm assuming here that you were not getting some gross unwanted movement on the rig.

Brian v.

Nov 09, 2015 at 01:50 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First shots of Omega watch with new macro lens

Thanks. Yes, I meant the FOV due to focus point changes, not physical movement. I'm using Photoshop CS6, so perhaps it's not as good as the dedicated stacking software now available wrt to the resizing.

Erich

Nov 09, 2015 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.