New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Bobu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

In our summer vacation we went this year to Vancouver Island. I will post my landscape images shot with my D800E in a separate thread in a couple of days.
But this was also the first trip where my daughter Linnéa was doing some photography by herself. I gave her my Nikon 1 AW1 with the kit lens. The following images were all shot by Linnéa. I just assisted her with the post processing in LR after the trip. I think, they are not bad for an 11 year old girl. But I’m very likely biased.

What do you think?

#1:
Strait of Georgia, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#2:
Goldstream Falls, Goldstream Provincial Park, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#3:
Goldstream Falls, Goldstream Provincial Park, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#4:
Cathedral Grove, MacMillan Provincial Park, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#5:
Cathedral Grove, MacMillan Provincial Park, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#6:

#7:

#8:
Sombrio Beach, Juan de Fuca Provincial Park, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#9:
Vancouver, BC, Canda by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#10:
Sombrio Beach, Juan de Fuca Provincial Park, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#11:

#12:
Telegraph Cove, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#13:
Telegraph Cove, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

Nov 08, 2015 at 11:28 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

I don't know whether I'm more impressed with her skills, or the capability of that little camera! ( to both)

Nov 08, 2015 at 12:54 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

These are beautiful. She has a wonderful eye , compositions are amazing. Great shots.

Birdie

Nov 08, 2015 at 01:19 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Yeah, I'd say someone's been listening to and watching Dad quite a bit. It's awesome that she's picking it up so quickly and even better that you two have this to share. Good stuff all the way around, Boris.

Nov 08, 2015 at 01:27 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Looks good! I may be biased though, since I am from there.

Nov 08, 2015 at 01:38 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Very nice images! Great work by your daughter (and pretty capable camera, it seems).
Keith W.

Nov 08, 2015 at 10:46 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Way better than what I was producing at (near) that age. I got into photography when I was around 12ish. My excuse is I pretty much had to learn on my own from scratch.

Curious - what kind of bird is that bird eating?

Nov 08, 2015 at 11:09 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

The bird doing the eating is a Peregrine Falcon. . . I'm curious what the one being eaten is, as well. Maybe a sandpiper?

Nov 09, 2015 at 12:24 AM
suchy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

As someone who spends most of my weekends on Vancouver Island during the summer, I had to comment that Linnéa has really captured the feel / atmosphere of the Island. Nicely shot and composed.

Nov 09, 2015 at 01:06 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Thanks everybody!

The AW1 is a nice little camera. IQ is quite good, especially for a waterproof camera. Not on the same level as the D800 but way better than any of the waterproof P&S.

Regarding the eaten bird: I'm not sure what kind it is. But the falcon caught the bird in flight and then landed just a few meters in front of us on the beach, which was awesome.

Boris

Nov 09, 2015 at 01:06 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

freaklikeme wrote:
Yeah, I'd say someone's been listening to and watching Dad quite a bit. It's awesome that she's picking it up so quickly and even better that you two have this to share. Good stuff all the way around, Boris.

+1

Nov 09, 2015 at 03:43 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Better than mine! Go Linnéa

Nov 09, 2015 at 04:52 AM
rick_reno
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

wow, great composition and a good eye for interesting shots.

Nov 09, 2015 at 10:26 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Wow - well done for an 11yr old. I'm sure she has picked up a few tricks from Dad along the way...

Nov 09, 2015 at 10:37 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Very nice images from a person of any age. The camera looks great for web display and smaller print reproduction.

Nov 09, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Great images, really enjoyed them. She did a wonderful job, as did you with your mentoring.

Nov 09, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Thanks guys!

Nov 09, 2015 at 04:04 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Taylor Sherman wrote:
The bird doing the eating is a Peregrine Falcon. . . I'm curious what the one being eaten is, as well. Maybe a sandpiper?

I don't know... for some reason it looks to me like another bird of prey. Do falcons go after other raptors? There is a better angle of the bird in Boris's image thread.

Nov 09, 2015 at 05:23 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

rscheffler wrote:
I don't know... for some reason it looks to me like another bird of prey. Do falcons go after other raptors? There is a better angle of the bird in Boris's image thread.

Yes, the female can also kill and eat her mate sometimes I have heard from Raptor experts. The one on top eating looks to be a female from the color/ pattern on her chest.
The one underneath looks to be another Raptor.
Pretty lucky to see that all just in front of you Boris like that. Quite a show she put on for you! Also, nice images by your daughter! Soon she will be borrowing dad's Otus!

Nov 11, 2015 at 03:05 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Vancouver Island with Nikon 1 AW1

Thanks Wayne!

Nov 11, 2015 at 04:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.