FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · another evening at the bulb

seann robinson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · another evening at the bulb

i recently upgraded my camera body and this was the first sunset that i got a chance to try it out. i was going to post this as a poll because i'm curious which people prefer- landscape or portrait but i wasn't sure if that was appropriate.

Nov 07, 2015 at 07:12 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · another evening at the bulb

Sean,
I am partial to the portrait orientation as it has most of the color but more importantly, it emphasizes the coastline and gives a feeling of more depth. You could try a 4x5 comp, trimming from the top

Thanks for posting

Dan

Nov 07, 2015 at 07:28 PM
seann robinson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · another evening at the bulb

dswiger wrote:
Sean,
I am partial to the portrait orientation as it has most of the color but more importantly, it emphasizes the coastline and gives a feeling of more depth. You could try a 4x5 comp, trimming from the top

Thanks for posting

Dan

dan-
thank you for taking the time to reply and articulating the reasons for your preference. i really appreciate your feedback! i'll have to take a look at the 4x5.
-seann

Nov 08, 2015 at 08:02 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · another evening at the bulb

I also prefer the portrait version. In the portrait orientation the shoreline naturally leads the eye deeper into the image. The landscape version doesn't draw the eye into the image nearly as well.

Nov 08, 2015 at 01:17 PM
seann robinson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · another evening at the bulb

Jim Bau wrote:
I also prefer the portrait version. In the portrait orientation the shoreline naturally leads the eye deeper into the image. The landscape version doesn't draw the eye into the image nearly as well.

jim-
thanks for taking the time to reply. it helps me to hear what other people think and why.
-seann

Nov 08, 2015 at 06:16 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · another evening at the bulb

Lovely image, Seann. Portrait for me as well.

Nov 10, 2015 at 09:47 AM
seann robinson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · another evening at the bulb

teked wrote:
Lovely image, Seann. Portrait for me as well.

teked-
thanks for taking the time to respond. really appreciate your feedback.
-seann

Nov 11, 2015 at 07:50 AM
grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · another evening at the bulb

I'm the odd one here - I prefer the landscape version. The point about the shoreline is true, but the shoreline is not that interesting to me in this shot - it's too busy. The interesting thing to me is the breadth and shallow "V" of the cloud formation, and that's all lost in the portrait orientation.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:03 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · another evening at the bulb

dswiger wrote:
Sean,

Thanks for posting

Dan

I echo Dan's sentiments. To me it also eliminates those man made elements on the left side of the frame, and keeps the eyes in the frame, the wide version the eyes want to leave the frame.

I do like the greens against the pinks and magenta, great color combination.

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:42 PM
seann robinson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · another evening at the bulb

grog13 wrote:
I'm the odd one here - I prefer the landscape version. The point about the shoreline is true, but the shoreline is not that interesting to me in this shot - it's too busy. The interesting thing to me is the breadth and shallow "V" of the cloud formation, and that's all lost in the portrait orientation.

thanks for sharing your thoughts. i struggle with finding anything of interest in the foreground. i am not far away from some places with better foreground to look at but time constraints keep me more local.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:08 PM
seann robinson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · another evening at the bulb

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I echo Dan's sentiments. To me it also eliminates those man made elements on the left side of the frame, and keeps the eyes in the frame, the wide version the eyes want to leave the frame.

I do like the greens against the pinks and magenta, great color combination.

travis-
thank you for sharing your thoughts. i was trying to use the shoreline to lead the eye to the sunset. i think the vertical does that more effectively. i think the open water on the left side is what leaves the eye wandering....nothing to herd you back into the frame. on my little laptop, i can hardly even see the city so it doesn't really bother me, but i know that just ruins an image for many.
-seann

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:27 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · another evening at the bulb

seann robinson wrote:
travis-
thank you for sharing your thoughts. i was trying to use the shoreline to lead the eye to the sunset. i think the vertical does that more effectively. i think the open water on the left side is what leaves the eye wandering....nothing to herd you back into the frame. on my little laptop, i can hardly even see the city so it doesn't really bother me, but i know that just ruins an image for many.
-seann

I guess there is an advantage to viewing on a large screen, it allows you to see things in more detail. I don't think for me the man made elements are a bother, just a bit distracting.

Nov 12, 2015 at 08:34 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · another evening at the bulb

I almost always prefer horizontal landscape photos over vertical. Horizontal gives a more calm feeling, they look better on a wall, and in this case, the horizontal photo has all the most important parts of the scene. The vertical has some areas near the top that aren't really needed. In a perfect world, I my vote would be a horizontal composition of this scene with just a bit more foreground and less sky.

Nov 12, 2015 at 08:48 AM
seann robinson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · another evening at the bulb

Ben Horne wrote:
I almost always prefer horizontal landscape photos over vertical. Horizontal gives a more calm feeling, they look better on a wall, and in this case, the horizontal photo has all the most important parts of the scene. The vertical has some areas near the top that aren't really needed. In a perfect world, I my vote would be a horizontal composition of this scene with just a bit more foreground and less sky.

ben-
thanks for sharing your thoughts and preferences. when i get some time next week, i'll have to look at the raw files and see if there is something that better incorporates those elements you described. i tend to try a portrait shot when i want to include more foreground or sky, rather than a pano. i don't have the skills in post for that.
-seann

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:45 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.