New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

hassy99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

Trying to come up with a winter trip. Other than the Mormon buildings and barn. Anyone get some winter images from this location?

Nov 07, 2015 at 04:05 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

I have had the same thought the last few years. I kept checking the web cams to get an idea of what it was like, and at least for my timing, the storms that brought clouds were just too heavy. But it's still something I would like to do so that I can have shots from the Tetons in all seasons.

Jim

Nov 07, 2015 at 07:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

I have been there in late winter, the park road was closed by snow. Schwabacher was closed but you could get to the Snake River overlook and wade out in knee deep snow to the rail.

Antelope Flats was open, I think it is an all year road. I parked near the north barn and waded into knee deep snow to get pictures. The south barn was also possible by walking but not driving.

Oxbow bend was of course closed because it is inside the park.

Of course with snow shoes you might be able to go into the park, not sure, nobody was there and I did not think to ask.

Nov 08, 2015 at 08:30 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

A winter trip to Yellowstone might be more productive. In West Yellowstone, they offer snow coach rides into the park as well as snow mobile tours and snowshoe hikes. I haven't done it, but have seen some gorgeous photos.

Nov 09, 2015 at 08:34 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

i am planning a trip up to there since it is fairly close. I have friends that have been there in winter. Need to ask them some questions and will get back to this thread with answers

Nov 09, 2015 at 03:44 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

I would be including a side trip to the Jackson Hole area. A loop through the Tetons and Yellowstone and Jackson Hole would be a good trip. Do want 4WD for the snow on the roads.

Nov 10, 2015 at 04:01 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

elkhornsun wrote:
I would be including a side trip to the Jackson Hole area. A loop through the Tetons and Yellowstone and Jackson Hole would be a good trip. Do want 4WD for the snow on the roads.

You do realize that most of the roads there are closed in the winter? There really is no way to loop through there. Yellowstone is completely closed up, and you are only able to get in there by taking a Snowcat into the park from West Yellowstone for the main Glacier areas. Which is a super cool thing to do, but 4x4 won't help you as the roads are closed.

Jim

Nov 10, 2015 at 04:23 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

JimFox wrote:
You do realize that most of the roads there are closed in the winter? There really is no way to loop through there. Yellowstone is completely closed up, and you are only able to get in there by taking a Snowcat into the park from West Yellowstone for the main Glacier areas. Which is a super cool thing to do, but 4x4 won't help you as the roads are closed.

Jim

________
The road between Mammoth Hot Springs and Cooke City on the eastern end of Yellowstone is open and maintained all year. The road goes through Lamar Valley and winter could be a great time for viewing wolves. They're hungry and prey on weakened elk and bison. The other roads around the park are likely closed except if you travel by snow coach. Check YNP website.

Nov 19, 2015 at 07:32 PM
Gary Dietz

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

Check out this site, Mike Jackson loves near Jackson and is a fantastic photographer

http://www.bestofthetetons.com/

Nov 24, 2015 at 01:33 PM
Mike R Jackson

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

hassy99,
I've lived here 29 years and get out often.

These three pages on my blog should give you about all the info you would need:

January 2015 - Jackson Hole

January 2014 - Jackson Hole

Winter in the Tetons

Even though many of the roads are closed, there are lots of photographic opportunities in January.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:27 PM
R.Victor

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

Hi hassy99, A little late, but I was there last New Year's. The roads to the barns were closed at that time. While I went to most of the places Mike mentions I seemed to spend more time along the Gros Venture road. Try the hot springs, it was neat seeing the ducks surrounded by the steam, but I didn't come away with any images of that I felt would work. Maybe you can.

The shots I was most pleased with was a shot of a bull bison with snow/frost covering his face, and one of 'Shane's Cabin' in that pre-dawn period. I paid for it getting sick after wading thru about 100 feet of snow up to waist deep at -26 degrees to get that shot! But I'd do it all again. Ready to make another trip if I can quit working so much!

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:12 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tetons in winter. Anyone been there in Jan

Gary Dietz wrote:
Check out this site, Mike Jackson loves near Jackson and is a fantastic photographer

http://www.bestofthetetons.com/

___
I second that.

Dec 05, 2015 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.